Author Topic: Almost there with Housebreaking, but...  (Read 2141 times)

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Almost there with Housebreaking, but...
« on: March 21, 2008, 11:56:09 am »
I like to call Cooper 75% housebroken at this point.  We are finally starting to be able to tell the difference between his "I need to go potty" whine and his "I want to go outside and play" whine.  Our biggest issue now is morning potty problems.  I get up usually around 5-5:30 in the morning and feed Cooper and the cats, then take Cooper out to go potty.  Once he is done, I try to coax him upstairs to play with his toys while I jump in the shower.  I'd say 7 times out of 10 he will venture back downstairs and go both poop and pee in our living room (our living room is carpeted).  I know eventually we will get him fully trained. 

However, at this point, I am having a really hard time getting the smell out of our carpet.  The carpet was newly layed when we bought the house last May, so I really don't want to have to replace it yet.  I shampoo it at least once a month, and we use pet cleaners on it when he goes potty there.  I was wondering if anyone knows of any cleaner that is REALLY good at get pee smells out of carpet?  Since it is still only 20-30 degrees here during the day, I can't open the window to try to air it out at all.  Any suggests would be very appreciated!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:56:54 am by Mainebernese »
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Almost there with Housebreaking, but...
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 12:11:24 pm »
I know some people swear by the spotbot for spots. I just got rid of carpet to deal with potty training.
Good luck!
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Almost there with Housebreaking, but...
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 04:17:15 pm »
Thank you all so much for your suggestions.  I am definitely going to go out and start looking for these cleaners!  We were smart enough to paint Killz on our wood floor when we pulled up the old carpet, so at least we know the the smell has not penetrated into the wood, just the carpet. 

Thanks for making me believe there is still hope out there for a smell free capret!   :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 04:18:33 pm by Mainebernese »
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat