Author Topic: Home-made treats for BIG kids!  (Read 2025 times)

Offline normansdad

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Home-made treats for BIG kids!
« on: March 22, 2008, 08:08:41 pm »
Hey everyone, :)

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to be posting this, but I'd like to share a recipe for home-made treats for furkids that I managed to pry out of a Saint Bernard breeder at a recent dog show!

We have Norman and Daisy enrolled in Obedience classes at the moment, and we're doing clicker training with both, so LOTS of treats are necessary for us, and with 2 big kids, we're finding that we're burning thru a lot of $$$ on them, besides the fact that Norman's 'baggy lips' as we like to call them let the regular size training treats slip out of his mouth and onto the floor.  We tried a bigger sized crunchy type of commercially made treat for him, and it makes him drool and slobber like crazy!  So when I met the Saint Bernard breeder at the dog show and mentioned our situation, she let me in on her little secret! (bless her heart) and she said she uses them in the show ring because the semi-moist texture does not make the Saints drool.

Please note, these treats are NOT GRAIN FREE... so if your kids have allergies, you may need to make adjustments to the recipe.

3 eggs
2/3 Cup of Vegetable Oil or Olive Oil
1 Pound of Raw Beef Liver (the breeder used beef hearts in hers)
2 Cups of Flour
1 teaspoon minced fresh garlic (I have read that some dogs are sensitive to garlic, so use caution here too if needed)

Blend the eggs oil and garlic in a blender or food processor.  Cut the liver into smaller chunks and add to the eggs and oil.  Puree until smooth.  Pour the puree into a  large bowl and stir in flour gradually.  You may need more or less flour depending on humidity etc.  The batter should resemble a Brownie batter.. not too thin, and yet not thick like cookie dough either.

Spread the batter into a nonstick 13 x 9 cookie sheet and smooth to an even thickness. Bake in a 425 oven for 10 minutes.  Cool in the pan for 10 minutes and then turn out onto a cutting board for 5 more minutes of cooling.  Cut the treats into desired sizes with a pizza cutter or large knife.  The batch size is large, and these treats are perishable, so store them appropriately in the fridge, or split them into zip baggies and keep them in the freezer for longer storage.

(The breeder was using chunks about 1 inch square in the show ring.  She said they are perfect for the non-drool factor, and also because she can make the pieces large enough for her fur kids.)  I cut mine into VERY small pieces to use for clicker training, (about the size of kitty kibbles) but I have noticed that there are limited options comercially for larger breed dogs, most cater to the teeny tiny ones, so these are great because you can customize them to suit.

My furkids give them 2 paws up!  Hope yours enjoy them too!

Norman's Mummy :)

Offline marinafb

• Majestic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Home-made treats for BIG kids!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 10:48:13 pm »
These sound wonderful thank you for posting how about some pics of your pups! I would love to see them marina
Freya-9 years collie shepard mix
Milo-6 years Pitt Bull
Bryce-3 years English Mastiff
Mab and Angus cool cats