Author Topic: Still don't have the dogs  (Read 3767 times)

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Still don't have the dogs
« on: March 23, 2008, 02:47:44 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Dollie and Buddy are still at my Brothers' house and we tried this weekend to transport them to my house, and it is not Dollie that is the problem.  It is Buddy.  :'( He is terrified when he sees the leash.  Does anyone know anything about Rescue Remedy and is it a mild tranquilizer.  At this point I can't even get Buddy to the vet because he has to be on a leash.  I am afraid that if Buddy is muscled and manhandled too much I will never be able to leash train him.  I may have to see if the vet will do a house call.  I know that will be expensive.

I am worried about Dollie's front leg.  We noticed that she is limping since she is five and a lab mix can they get arthritus that young? 

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Re: Still don't have the dogs
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 03:52:53 pm »
Poor babies!

Have you tried melatonin before? Its the suppliment used by travelers to get over jet lag- it just helps calm them and lets them sleep. I use it all the time for thunder storm dogs and transports, as well as rescue remedy which is also phenominal. You can get melatonin at any GMC or walmart. We use 1mg for 10 LBS of body weight, so if its a big dog make sure you get the 3 or 5 MG pills and not the 1mg pills!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:03:19 pm »
I've been wondering how things are going and if you got them home with you yet. Sorry to hear you're having difficulty. I'm trying to remember what type of vehicle you have. Sometimes it's much easier with a van type rather than a PU or SUV until they're used to the "big jumps".

Whisper went through a spell when he was younger when he all of a sudden started to tremble when I attempted to put him in my Jeep. Even when Rainbow was already in. He would back up as far as he could on the lead. It broke my heart to think how terrified he was.

It took about a week of several lessons a day (3 or 4) using super good (hamberger) treats. I have no idea what triggered it all. But I think it was perhaps a bit of motion sickness associated with the vehicle + associating it with the Vet. The first time I literally picked the big guy up and pushed him in. (This was me - his Mom - not someone he didn't know or trust - like your Brother.) After he was in, I sat with him on the tail gate and reasured him. Calmed him. Talked to him and told him it was OK & what a G O O D  = B O Y he was. Offered him the treat (which he didn't take at first) Then let him out & praised him again. Time after time until I felt he was ready for the "ride" we did this. The first ride was to the end of the lane and back. More treats. GOOD BOY!!!!! And so on.

Maybe you could put a really short lead on him (like 2 ft) as you would with a puppy to get him used to having it on. He could drag it around with him to get the feel and not be so frightened? Guess I'm rambling here but I really feel for you and the Puppers.

It's all going to work out alright. But in the meantime you must be extreemly frustrated. I know how much you're looking forward to their being home with you.  :-* I wish I was there to actually help.

Offline Momdog

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 09:48:21 am »
The support I have experienced on Big Paw has been wonderful ;D and now I think I have a plan.  I think I am going to get the Rescue Remedy so that both dogs won't be so nervous and then maybe we will have an easier time. I just want to give them enough to take the edge off. I know once they are in my back yard which is bigger and their new shed type dog house I know they will be happy.  Plus they will have several people so there will always be someone to play with.  I am so anxious because I want them with me so that we can start the new chapter.  Thanks for your support we are going to try again this weekend.  so keep your fingers crossed.

Offline Tspanos

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Tim
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 07:05:30 pm »
On the subject of the vet visits if you can find a local large animal vet that handles companion animals also the farm (house) call won't be as much as if you had to talk a regular small animal pactitioner into coming out to visit your guys. Good luck with your transport attempt this weekend.