Author Topic: ***Important!!! GARAGE DOOR OPENER THEFTS  (Read 1552 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
***Important!!! GARAGE DOOR OPENER THEFTS
« on: March 23, 2008, 11:31:29 pm »
This just happened to a friend of mine and I wanted to spread the word. Please crosspost this.

A friend of mine was out to dinner for only a few hours. When she came out, her car had been broken into. Suprisingly, they didn't take the car radio, but they took the garage door opener, and then took her regisration out of the glove box.

They then GPS'd their way to her house using the registration address, opened the garage door, gained access into the house and completely cleaned her out of electronics, jewlery and valuables. Luckily her three dogs were not injured, the robbers locked them up in the bedroom.

This is becoming a bit of a trend here in NC, with Charlotte in particular having had several of these in the last few weeks, but I doubt this is an isolated thing, and so I wanted to spread the word and say PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE YOUR GARAGE DOOR OPENER IN THE OPEN!!!! Also, keep your registration in your wallet, or someplace other then the glove compartment!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: ***Important!!! GARAGE DOOR OPENER THEFTS
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 06:49:29 am »
WOW that is kinda scary!!! :o

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: ***Important!!! GARAGE DOOR OPENER THEFTS
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 10:43:47 pm »
I belong to a community policing organization where I live.
This was actually brought up a few months ago.
The community policing liason officer gave us a couple of hints.
(Please check with your local police office first on their non-emergency number to make sure it's legal where you live)

1) Take your insurance and registration papers and photocopy them.
Take a heavy black marker and black out all mention of your address (on the photocopy! ;D )
If I am stopped by the police and I give them this photocopy, I will have 24 hours to produce the original to them.  I will not get fined. 
Please check this out first.

2)  Lock your glovebox

3)  Always lock the door from the garage to the house. Our garage is separate from the house so quite safe.

This way, if someone breaks into your car, there is no address for them to see.

Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)