Author Topic: Great + Greater = Greatest?  (Read 10587 times)

Offline Dane-a-be

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Great + Greater = Greatest?
« on: March 24, 2008, 11:14:21 pm »
Hi all,

I've recently decided to fulfill a dream of mine.  Since i was 10 years old, I've wanted to have a Great Dane. In my research though, the short life span of them makes me nervous.  (I cried like a baby at the age of 18 when my cat of 10 years died.)  My father who is a rancher has often talked about a phenomenon called Hybrid Vigor in cattle, that got me to thinking:

If I cross a great Dane with another breed, chances are that the off spring will be less prone to diseases, and will have a longer life span.

So I've been looking for another dog breed that I feel would compliment the Great Dane in looks and personality.  So far my hands down favorite is the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog.

Has anyone ever seen a Great Dane - Swissy mix?  Would it be fair to call it the Greatest Swiss Mountain Dane?  I would love to hear the opinions of a group far more experienced than I.

Thanks

Taylor

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Re: Great + Greater = Greatest?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 11:54:16 pm »
I'd call it a mixed breed. Please don't add to an ever growing population of mutts/mixed breeds when so many are dying in shelters. I pull dozens of "designer" breeds every month from animal controls when they get dumped.

If you are willing to open your heart to a mixed breed Dane/Swissy, by all means do so- search animal controls and shelters and give that lucky dog a new home. But please don't breed and bring more dogs into a world already teeming with unwanted dogs.

As for Hybrid Vigor- the real reason purebred dogs have a bad rep for health issues is because they are not being bred with enough restraint. John Q Public goes out and buys two siberian huskies out of the paper, pays no attention to their lineage, and breeds them. Then he may breed son back to mother, etc, and call it "line breeding" (That is NOT line breeding, that is inbreeding) No genetic or health testing is done to ensure a good stock before they are bred. hence problems develop, and because they continue to breed back on a line, health problems multiply and spread. When you crossbreed dogs, you are ensuring that there is no possible way either dog is on the same line, so it opens the genetic world up in case there is a health problem- less likely to spread or double, but-

CROSS BREEDING DOES NOT GUARENTEE A HEALTHY DOG

OUTCROSSING (breeding to a dog totally on a different line, or an import) A PUREBRED DOG WITH HEALTH TESTING/GENETIC SCREENING IS JUST AS EFFECTIVE IN PRODUCING "VIGOR" AS CROSSBREEDING.

If you are looking for a healthy dane, find a very good breeder who shows and has full OFA/CERF/Heart/thyroid etc (Not familier with exact health testing done on danes) and speak with them about your concern.

The average age for siberian huskies is 12 years. My siberians live 16 years and older, because we carefully screen and outcross to different lines when the linebreeding becomes close.

I would be happy to speak with you more of this, and I hope you aren't offended by what I have to say- but I just see too many designer dogs die in shelters when the novelty wears off.

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 01:55:30 am »
Hi Dane-a-be.
I'm going to second, third and fourth whiskeyandsake's answer.
Please go and volunteer at a local animal shelter near you.
I volunteer at my local SPCA, and what comes in, all because of money, makes me angry.

Please read this article and the comments that I found.

http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/story/0,22606,22659935-910,00.html

No self respecting breeder would EVER breed their dog with something other than their own kind.  That kind of breeding produces a mutt.

Take the Labradoodle for example.
I have heard stories around here that if the pups don't end up curly coated (supposedly hypo-allergenic) then they are killed.
I have yet to see 2 labradoodles that look the same.
I have seen what I thought was a short deer/wolfhound, that ended up being a Labradoodle.
Why pay $1200 for a mutt, when you can go to our SPCA and get a dog that has been speutered/had shots and a vet check, for under $300?
You cannot guarantee the temperment of the Labradoodle.
You can't guarantee the looks.
You can't guarantee the dog won't shed.
The supposed "breeder" doesn't give you a health guarantee.

People who are not real breeders, but figure they can make a few bucks are called Back-yard-breeders.
They have no idea what health issues their dog has in it's lineage.
They have no idea of temerament issues.
They have no background on the stud or bitch they are breeding to.
In fact they have no idea period.
By producing MUTTS you are ensuring that thousands of
dogs die in shelters everyday.

Heavy?  Yeah, so is death, and it's permanent.
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 08:34:56 am »
Any dog, purebred or mutt, can have health issues!
If you take a great care of your dog, veterinary and nutritional, your dog will live a longer and happier life  :)
Large and giant breeds live 8-16 years and you will NEVER know how long your dog will live.
By crossing two breeds puppies may inherit health issues that are common in both. Plus you will NOT find reputable breeder who screened bitches and dog's health and will breed mutts :-\
If you have a dream of having a Great Dane you should do your homework, find a reputable breeder, find a vet who knows Giant Breeds and get a puppy :)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 09:10:12 am by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 08:59:15 am »
I don't mean to be rude, but why would you long for a great dane only to mix the breeds? Go to a shelter and adopt the breed that you want from there....you will find lots of designer dogs there...if only people knew!!

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 09:29:42 am »
I like mixed breeds but would NEVER pay for one. I am 100% for getting them from a shelter. I am also 100% against intentionally mixing a purebred dog. I understand that this is how we got the breeds that we have. But when you are paying $650(puggle price) for a mutt that can not be registered, shown in a ring, or participate in most dog activities, I wonder what you are paying that much money for. I have a Yorkie because I wanted a nice lap dog, something for the kids and to have fun with agility. I have a AltDeutcher because DH wants to train her and get out of the house. She will start with obedience and tracking. Then we will move on to Agility and Protection.
Look hard at the reasons why you want a Dane. Not just for looks but for lifestyle. Danes are attention getters but it has to be about providing the best home for the dog. Are you the best? or are you wanting attention?
This I think is a major reason for the failure of big dogs in homes. People want the attention for themselves and they think owning one will be cool.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Nicole

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 09:46:55 am »
I totally agree with everything that the wise ladies before me have said.

But, I would also like to add that while I am whole-heartedly against the idea of hybridizing dogs, the name Greatest Swiss Mountain Dane is adorable. I believe that if you find this mix in a shelter or rescue, you should certainly dub your new found friend a Greatest Swiss Mountain Dane! :)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 10:07:38 am »
I have been thinking about the name but in a different sense. Here in Germany they are called Deutche Dogge or German Dog. Seeing as they are not Danish at all. So maybe the Greatest Eurodog. lol
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 10:53:36 am »
Ah yes, you've stumbled into a den of rescuers!! From what I read in your post, I didn't get that you were thinking of breeding the two types of dogs yourself...so, that's good! I am a total mutt lover, and I find that it takes lots and lots of searching to find the "mix" you're looking for. However, as every shelter everywhere is so full, your dog IS out there. If you're looking for that special mix, it takes time. Check your local Dane rescue AND local Swissie rescue, as either one might have such a mix. Keep in mind that a lot of rescues and shelters are only offering their best guess at the mixes, too. If you find a "Dane/Swissie" mix, it may be that it's that, or a Dane/Berner, or a Dane/lab/whatever...Either way, if you are willing to open your heart to a mix, I'd say look at anything called a "Dane mix". It may or may not be mixed with a Swissie, but it may still be the pup that steals your heart and is waiting to fill your home! Also, as everyone has been saying, any dog can have health issues, regardless of breed or purity of lineage. It's one of the down sides, I guess, to having pets. Someone on the board once recommended trying to have a few thousand socked away before you get a pup. That way, if your pup does turn out to need hip or ACL surgery, you can cover it and not be faced with the possibility of putting your pet to sleep because you can't afford the medical care. That's a tall order, but a really good idea. You'll find your perfect pup - just keep looking!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 12:09:17 pm »
I won't repeat what has already been said, but will add that if you go to www.petfinder. com, you can put in your zip code, the main breed you are looking for, and it will pull up both purebreds and mixes. You can specify age and gender of the dog as well in your search.  That way you can get an idea of what kind of Dane mixes are out there and what might be the best fit for you.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven