Author Topic: Amber , it will be a year in July ( long post sorry )  (Read 5912 times)

Offline dog lover

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • mistysands leonbergers
Amber , it will be a year in July ( long post sorry )
« on: March 25, 2008, 10:46:43 am »
Hi i couldnt post before , but i feel i can now.

Amber aka Amby was our liver spot dalmatian, we collected her aged 16 weeks and fell in love instantly. she seamed to bring luck with her.Amber was the most wonderfull dog, loving , loyal, gentle & she soon became our best friend.

We decided on a dog as an addition to just myself and my hubby, we had been trying to start a family for a couple of years which resulted in several misscarriages. So we gave up on starting a family and consentrated all our love onto amby, but like i said she was my lucky charm.A short time after having amber we moved  from rented property and bought our own home which was great , but even better than that i was 8 weeks pregnant and in November 1994 our son was born.Amber was a little over a year old.

Amby was brill she loved our son and would watch over him and bark when his nappy was full, best of all she loved nothing more than him climbing onto her and falling asleep.She was also my shoulder to lean on , you know how it is tired new mum , stressed out lol ready to commit murder, well she would listen to my rants and she just seemed to understand how i felt and was just allways there when i needed her.

The thing she loved the most other than just being with us was our annual trips the the seaside , she loved the beach so much and would run like a nutter and go snorkel in the rock pools and pull out huge stones, she was a pleasure to watch she loved it. I could go on forever telling you about how great she was and how much we love her and miss her.

When amby was 12 another 2 dogs ben and callie joined our family and they brought amby new youth, all three loved to snuggle up together on the settee.

In all the time we had Amber never did she chew or destroy, or mess .She only ever had vet trips to cut her nails she was a strong healthy dog. She did hate the vets and we would have to drag her through the door to get her in and then she would just bark.

So Amber never did get to go on her seaside trip last year, she was getting old and doggery but still totally fine. Then quite quickly her back legs seemed to get weak and couldnt always hold the weight of her body & several times when she stood she would wee without knowing, which become more over the next week or so, she was still herself and in no pain but we knew it was not good.

She could have came on holiday with us but in our hearts we knew it was not fair , she couldnt walk great and was sleeping alot but still made the effort to come for loves, one thing that never changed was her tail she wagged it all the time.

On July 24th 2007 a week before our holiday we took our baby girl to the park near the vets ands had our last walk together, my heart was in pieces but i stayed strong as i wanted her to feel safe, we walked over the road to the vets and my baby girl knew it was time, she walked straight into the  vets & calmly sat down , she had never entered the vets before without a struggle.

I guess i feel guilty for not giving her that last seaside trip, but we wanted her keep her quality of  life and   dignity & not to be in pain .I knew Amber so well and it was her time, she would have held onto life as long as possible just to be with us and that was not fair for her, she was old and tired and we owed it to her for all the love and joy she had given us over the last 14 years to let her go .

We sat down on the floor with Amby hugging her , stroking her face & talking to her , it took seconds before our baby girl was sleeping peacefully.

The vet told us it was so quick she was more than ready to go and we did the right thing , but i wanted her back so much, the only good thing about that day was myself and my husband were the ones who suffered and not Amber, it would have been so much easier to keep her with us that day and just go home but then our girl would have suffered.

Amber thankyou for our 14 years , you were a  true friend and a huge part of my life and i still love and miss you and will do so forever. hope you understand why we did what we did. xxxxx

I am sure i will feel like this again and again for as long as i own dogs, but i would not change a thing, as upset as i am posting this i am also very happy that i was lucky enough to have Amby and also the dogs we still have now, and i wouldn't change a thing.

thanks for letting me post , sorry its so long and sorry about the spelling.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 11:11:50 am by dog lover »
Amber our liver spot dalmatian passed away after 14.5 years r.i.p.
Ben our 9 year old rescue golden retriever
Callie our 18 month old Leonberger.
Troy our 8 week old leonberger.

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Amber , it will be a year in July ( long post sorry )
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 10:56:25 am »
Thanks for posting.
We lost our 10yo GSD in a very similar manner a year ago this past Jan. Except he couldn't even wag his tail any more.  :'( It is hard to lose such a long time friend and family member. I couldn't be there. Even after a year it is hard to think about without shedding a tear or two.
I hope your heart has healed a little and you remember all the great years you had together.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 10:59:49 am »
Oh my, I am all choked up. I am so sorry. It sounds like you gave Amber a life of love and unending quality and dignity. She was able to muster up all that dignity to walk herself calmly into the vet's office because she knew. Aw, that is so difficult. She gave you the gift of her love and loyalty (and good fortune), but her ultimate gift to you may have been the way she didn't need to be forced to go to the vet that day. She was telling you, "It's ok, mommy. I'm so tired, and I am ready to go. I'll be fine, and you will too. Thank you..."

Big hugs to you and your family!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 01:25:24 pm »
We don't mind the long post!!!  We've all been there, and we will all be there again.  May 14th will be two years since Navarre left me and I miss him everyday.  Amber sounds like she was an awesome dog who had a fabulous life thanks to you.  She's running with a lot of friends up there!
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline dalmom6

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 07:16:42 am »
I lost my Dottie Dal on Dec. 14, 2007 two months before her 16" Valentine's" birthday. She was a great girl, I am into Dal rescue and foster now and have found this to be very rewarding. I have 6 Dals that are my babies "RESCUES", but Dottie was my first and special.We also took her and Freckles to the Dog beach in California, they traveled all over in our motor home.Dalmatian s are very loving and I hope you find peace in what you had to do, I have with my Dottie

Patsy,
Aledo, Texas