Author Topic: Need advice please!  (Read 9336 times)

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Need advice please!
« on: March 26, 2008, 02:56:02 pm »
Since I brought Lily home at 8 weeks she was hard to wake up. She slept through the night and even in the morning I had to drag her out of bed. When I was crating her I had to drag her out of crate. When we were watching TV in the evening and had to go to bed we had to drag her to bed...After a while I couldn't drag her any more so I stared using a piece of cheese or any treat to navigate her to and out of bed.
Lately, has been so lazy that sometimes even cheese wont do it :P
A couple of weeks ago she was sleeping on the deck and I had to wake her up to go to bed...I can't leave her outside all night as she would bark her head off ::) When I showed her a treat she just looked at me and would not move! So I started giving her a lift to get up and she GROWLED at me!!! I was shocked! Whatever...I forgot about that incident hoping it wont happen again. Last night she did it again!
I don't know how to react to it ??? Should I
1. Put leash and collar and just get her up like that?
2. Should I give her a chocker correction along with sturdy "Stop it!"?
3. ?????
I I am really confused by this behavior!!! Help!!!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:00:55 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: Need advice please!
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 03:03:31 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have the answer. I wish I did. ??? :-\

I just wanted to tell you, you're not alone in trying to figure out how to get a 100 pound pyr up from laying down when they don't care to move. Miles will plant his butt in the hallway of our building EVERY SINGLE TIME from coming in from a walk. I used to be able to play, and get him inside. Then I had to transition to a treat. Then, cheese, his favorite, now....he won't get up for anything. I try to pull him up with his collar and leash....and he makes himself limp, so I can't even move him that way without ripping his head off. It's ridiculous. And forget about trying to lift his butt up. He rolls on his back. ::)

Can't wait to hear everyone's suggestions. That's surprising that she growled at you. She's being a grumpy teenager! hahaha Silly Lily. :-*
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 03:18:38 pm »
She just loves to sleep!!! What can I say? I am exactly the same way AND I can snap at people who try waking me up :(
Lily probably learned it from me :-\
Mary W. Crane

Nicole

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 03:22:26 pm »
hahha...I'm sorry. I don't know what to say, but that's just too funny!

Maybe a fork lift?

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:38:38 pm »
Have you tried not touching her, but waking her up by sound and being firm with her when you tell her to come in/ go to bed. When I use my firm voice with Hars, and do the snap my fingers and point. She knows I mean business.  ;D Otherwise I would have to use the forklift to move her too  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 06:05:26 pm »
Binky is the same way-we have to make her get up every morning or she'll sleep upstairs til 11am!  Someone on here suggested to me that we put our feet under her and wiggle them-it works!  She hates it and jumps up.  Don't have advice for the growling though.
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 06:54:01 pm »
I have experienced that with Marley. If he doesn't want to get up he will growl or pull back. I have corrected this behaviour by a sturdy "NO" and from then on when I can see he is far too comfortable to be moved by a treat or a "come" I use a leash. I don't even try to physically move him or pull at his collar. I show him I am boss and clip on his leash and up he goes. I usually get a loud sigh from him like a teenager being told to clean his room...it is too funny. It worked for us. Give it a try..might take one or two times to test you but for Marley he now knows when the leash goes on there is no fighting it.
good luck
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:30:40 pm »
Are her hips ok? Do you think she's sore? Could that be why she growled.
I think her hips are just fine! When she needs to jump up from her DEEP sleep to bark she has no issues LOL!
I will be X-raying her hips in July so we will see for sure :)
Mary W. Crane

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 07:28:48 am »
I wish I had that sleep problem. my pups want me up at 6:30 and they just climb on me and lick till I get up.  with 2 40lb pups wrestling on me it doesn't take long.  :)
but when they are outside and dont want to come in they just totally ignore me. yup - they are pyrs!

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:53:11 am »
We wrote a long reply last night however didn't post for some reason?  

It is not recommended to punish a dog for growling.  Lily is communicating with you.  Not that Lily is aggressive however a dog that is punished for growling may eventually  skip the communication part and snap or bite first.  

Cirra has never growled at us however will have "temper tantrum" type behavior when she is really frustrated and wants her way.  She will lie on the ground throw her head around and start swinging with her front leg.  We try to ignore her based on the philosophy that rewarded behaviors increase and unrewarded behaviors decrease.  

We have gone through this with Cirra.  It is most frustrating!!!  Robyn feels as though after what feels like 200 "snow angels" that Cirra should do someting for her - such as - get up and move - however dogs don't think that way.  It is all about what is in it for them.  When Lily does do what you want - give a super reward!!!

Cirra was worse when she was younger.  When on walks we would set up a "treasure hunt" game so she would have things to find.  Robyn used to bring a book on walks to give her something to do while waiting Cirra out when she didn't want to move.  Throwing a favorite toy or treat and telling her to take it sometimes works.  Gloves and mittens have been a good choice in the past.  However when Cirra really does not want to get up - she is very strong willed about it.  If her behavior is not about wanting to stay in the snow it is usually about wanting to be a guardian dog.

It seems that Lily is wanting to be a guardian Pyr.  Cirra is extremely friendly however her guardian instincts have increased with age.  A change in Lily's routine may be helpful.  We always take Cirra out on a leash in the evenings with a reward when she comes in.

Even with training and a great relationship - dogs are dogs and big white fluffy dogs certainly have their own opinions about things.

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2008, 01:13:38 pm »
So I'm reading this thread and giggling with my mental picture of all these giant hairy dogs laying around like limp spaghetti. LOL! I can't relate, though. My closest experience to that is my 2 year old, when I try to hold his hand and walk. However, he's only about 24 pounds, so, really, it's irritating, but not something a momma can't work around. Good luck!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline brooklily

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2008, 02:26:34 pm »
While I have no suggestions besides HAM, haha I can relate. My dog before Brooklily was a hundred pound plus American Bulldog/ Mastiff mix. She would just lay down whenever the h*ll she wanted to....mid-walk. Once when I was walking her she laid down in the cross walk. She looked at me like" um, ya , Im all done walking. Whats the issue?"  Im sure I looked like a complete moron in the middle of the street doing everything i could think of to get her to move. Once my boyfriend took her out for a quick pee before work and she decided it was a fine day for a nap in the sun. down she went till he finally had to pick her up and carry her in the house. Then of course i had to listen to the fact his back hurt for 2 days and how he was late for work. My poor dad had her pull a stunt on him too. Well he couldnt lift her and he had to sit on the sidewalk for a half hour waiting till she wanted to move again. All the while  cars were stopping to see if this older man was hurt. He was very embarrased! So while I dont have any great advise, I do feel for you. ;) The only thing that finally worked was to walk away from her, while I continued to talk to her. She would freak and run after me. Maybe that will work for you.( theres always ham.)
She is not naughty, she is fun!
Brooklily 2 1/2    bulldog mix