Author Topic: New to Saints, How much do I feed him?  (Read 4747 times)

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
New to Saints, How much do I feed him?
« on: August 02, 2005, 11:07:12 pm »
Hi Everyone!
I recently acquired my first Saint Bernard puppy. His name is Brutus and he'll be 5 months on August 6th.  He currently weighs 70lbs.  I just wanted to be sure I'm feeding him enough.  We feed him 1 cup 4X a day.  Does that seem right or should we change it?  Thanks!

Offline newflvr

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Cowboy is four years old and Chester is almost two
    • View Profile
Re: New to Saints, How much do I feed him?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2005, 11:12:12 pm »
I have a Newf pup who is also 5 months (but only 60 lbs!!) and we feed him two cups of Eagle Pack twice a day ( with broth from his Landseer brother's cooked meat) so it sounds good to me!

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2005, 07:46:25 am »
How much you should feed depends on a lot of factors, but the two biggest are activity level and brand of food. Different brands have different caloric contents, so that is a huge factor. What brand of food do you feed? What does it say on the package that an average 70lb dog should eat?
RIP former BPO

awo

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2005, 07:17:00 pm »
You might be feeding him to much food, depending on the brand.  I will tell you that your pup is going to be a big boy.  Let us know what kind of food you are feeding him and his exercise routine.  That would help.

awo

Offline Saintly Girl

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Maxwell
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2005, 01:09:24 pm »
Well, When we got Maxwell, we forked over lots of dough and bought Medical Large Breed Puppy food.  (Adolescent formula)  We fed him about 4 cups at that age too.  You need a low calorie dog food because you don't want him growing too fast.  If you can't find a low cal puppy food, get adult dog food.  The Medical cost us a fortune but now that he's 1 we changed him over to Pedigree Healthy Vitality.  Now he eats 3 cups in the am and 3 in the pm.  He's about 150 or 160.  I haven't weighed him in a while but he's not fat at all.  When he's wet he looks like a gangly teenager with super long legs!!  He got so tall so fast.  I'd say he's 35 inches tall now.  What a monster. 

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2005, 01:25:39 pm »
I feed raw diet....Willow is 11 wk dane weighs about 21 lbs.  She eats about 2 lbs a day now - sometimes a little less and that seems to be good for her weight wise right now.
Timmie

Offline BrutusMummy

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 10:09:31 pm »
Brutus eats Science Diet Large Breed Formula for puppies.  He's not overweight looking at all.  U can feel his ribs and he looks good.  He likes 2 walks a day and time for play in between.  Could be he's just going to take after is dad as his father was 200lbs. 

Offline Liberty

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:01:07 am »
please post pics of Brutus!
We love pictures!
Roxy
Saint/Newf mix

Yaz

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 08:51:07 am »
Hi There;
Guinness, my Saint will be six months on August 13 and he weighs around 85 pounds (his dad weighs 200 pounds like Brutus's dad). Guinness is on Eagle Pack Holisitc too, but he eats six cups a day and would eat more if I let him! His weight is perfect - he's on the lean side, and he does minimal exercise because of the hot humid weather we've been enduring all summer. He's been eatiing six cups since four months and it seems to be doing the trick for him.

Offline tonyc

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2005, 03:38:51 pm »
We just got our Saint last nite. She's also just around 6/7 months, almost 80 lbs. she WAS being fed IAMS puppy, but i'm switching her to Canidae (same as our golden). Canidae is about 24% protein-ish, something like 14.50% fat and about 466 kcals/cup. From what I read 5-6 cups of this food per day is good for Nikki (per Canidae's 75lb+ feeding chart).

However, Canidae advises to feed at 5-6cups/day until 6 months but Nikki is already 7. How long should I be feeding at this rate until? 1.5 yrs? 2 yrs? etc.? We don't want the puppy to grow too fast, develop weak joints/bones, etc...

much thanks,
Tony

Lyn

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2005, 08:38:54 am »
I also feed my Saint Canidae. I just upped him to 7 cups, split into 3 meals. He's almost 7 months now. But he's a bit on the thin side, so hubby wanted me to increase his food a bit. I was feeding him 6 cups.

I tend to follow the feeding guidelines.. but I don't think the 6 months rule would apply to giant breeds.

If she's good weight, not too chubby or too thin I would just keep feeding her the way you are.