Author Topic: Does anyone here rotate kibbles?  (Read 3784 times)

Lyn

Does anyone here rotate kibbles?
« on: April 03, 2008, 10:23:58 am »
Just curious if anyone rotates kibbles?

Now that Bubba no longer seems to have tummy issues I've been thinking about rotating with 3 maybe 4 different kibbles. He tires of certain brands.. some quicker than others. Plus I know I wouldn't want to eat the same thing day in and day out.  :-\

He's currently eating Canidae, but I want to try rotating with Orijen and Acana and maybe Taste of the Wild if I can get over the fact that it's a Diamond product. LOL

He can't eat any grain free kibble solely on it's own since he doesn't maintain weight on it. He was on Orijen for just over a year before the weight loss was just too much and I switched him to Acana which packed 10 pounds on him. Since I've switched to Canidae he's lost 5 pounds but he's also skipping his morning meal probably 3 days a week.

So I figured I'd go grain food.. then grain free.. Canidae, then Orijen, then Acana.. then Taste of the Wild.. or Evo..

Sound ok? Or am I nuts? LOL

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Does anyone here rotate kibbles?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 10:40:25 am »
hello, i don't rotate the foods, but we change every bag.  My dane has a stomach of steel and nothing seems to affect her. It works out, because what one brand lacks the other makes up for.  Right now we are on canadie then solid gold, then canadie (it was on sale 40 lbs for $20) then the next will probaly be timberwolf, and we will float with different varieties from there...we always mix them up.  With Titan, we always give different proteins (raw diet) and we are now incorporating a dry kibble food (back to basics) just for now (it is pork and works ok with him).  Usually we will only give him kibble if he is looking a little too thin (plus conditioning for the ring)  He was looking very hungry today....so he got hamberger, organs, pork and then kibble too. I know we should have waited to let the raw digest first, although sometimes you just can't do that...

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 10:45:10 am »
Yep, I do rotate kibble :) I have about 6 bags of food at home and I feed Lily one kind for 2 weeks or so, then switch to the other...someti mes mix two 1:5 proportion so I don't mess up her poop ;D I feed Nature's Variety Priare & Instinct, Canidae, Merrick and Wellness. Whatever keeps her appetite up ::)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Lyn

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 11:03:29 am »
Thanks!  ;D

I wanted to switch after each bag. Or possibly mix half/half depending on how the grain free kibbles affect Bubba's weight. I'm just tried of having to bribe him to eat. I was hoping if I rotated that would put an end to his morning hunger strike.

I guess I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 11:04:02 am by Lyn »

Offline Gevaudan_Jo

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 02:30:10 pm »
Our bullies (and reba) get rotated foods, they are on Eagle Pack holistic Lamb & rice for about a bag or two- then we get the duck and mix it in with a bag of lamb, then back to just lamb. They are pretty fine with it- no different poops or anything, so ;)
Jodi & Darcy
Proud Parents of
Zero-Bull Terrier
Jigsaw-Bull Terrier
Repo- Jigsaw's baby Bull Terrier
Reba-Chinese Crested
Pavi-Xolo
Simba,Sabbath,Kimahri, Lil' Meow & Slimon-Cats
Robin the hermit crab and the 8 legged freak, Webley!
~ waiting at the bridge, Zeus and Memphis, great danes ~

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 10:34:33 pm »
I'm in the middle of changing from Dog Chow to Fit and Trim.  Grace is a little bit of a tubalard so we have to start watching her weight.  So I have 1/2 of a 55 pound bag of Dog Chow and a new big bag of Fit and Trim to mix until the Dog Chow is gone.
She's ok with the same ole food, but likes to change what i pour on her food to entice her to eat.  She loves a nice milk ladden kibble and sometimes prefers a little chicken broath instead.  Other times i add shredded cheese or some juice from what I cooked that night.  She has very good taste and likes her kibble a little moistened.

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2008, 08:53:51 am »
Yes, I have started rotating kibble. I recently switched my dogs and cats to grain-free. Right now the cats are on EVO--Gabe doesn't like fish  ::), so they stay on a chicken base, but I'm hoping to work in Wellness Core for them and it has both "fish and fowl".

The dogs are eating Wellness Core right now. I also put either EVO or Wellness canned food as a topper 2X a week. Jenny gets salmon oil for her coat, too. I am planning on rotating the dogs between Wellness Core, Nature's Instinct, and EVO red bites for protein variety.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008, 08:55:57 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Lyn

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008, 10:53:25 am »
I picked up a bag of Orijen yesterday to mix with Canidae.. Bubba's hunger strike is now over. ::)

I think I figured out the problem with Bubba. He's always been picky.. not so much with taste.. but with smell. When I opened that bag of Orijen the smell difference between it and Canidae, (which is also a new bag) was huge. Orijen has a much more meaty smell to it and he instantly started frothing and drooling everywhere as soon as he smelled it. So I stuck a handful of Canidae under his nose and he turned his head to the side as if to say Ewwwwww.  ::) Luckily he will eat the 2 mixed together so.... I may stick with the Canidae/Orijen mixture and just rotate in different protein sources. Damn picky dog.  :P