Author Topic: Mastiff exercise  (Read 4398 times)

Offline Samin

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Mastiff exercise
« on: April 04, 2008, 05:10:21 pm »
Hey everyone, I have a 10mo. old english mastiff puppy (120lbs) and I need some advice about how much excercise to give him.  I'm trying to keep him lean and active but I don't want to damage his growing bones and joints.  I go jogging regularly with my other medium sized dog for about 1 mile a few times a week. He's gone with me a few times and doesn't seem to get tired or overheated, my main concern is the wear and tear on his body.  Is this too much of a workout for my mastiff puppy?

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Mastiff exercise
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2008, 05:38:08 pm »
i would only give him free exercise, if you are going running make sure you don't run him on pavement...1 mile is really long for a puppy. Of course he will keep up with you because he has that bond with you.  Actually is it a female? 120 pounds is a small pup!!!! you are lucky....prob. less drool!!! Titan just turned 10 months and weighs in at 177 now!

lorim2

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »
We walk marley twice daily...usuall y around a mile but of course hes 2.5 yr...Plus he gets to play alot chasing balls and whatever he feels like doing....I would love to see pics of your baby...!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2008, 09:42:07 pm »
At 10 months your pup can go the distance but I would be cautiouse about jogging on a paved surface.  Its h*ll on a human's joints and dog's are no different.  Butler (16 months old Mastiff) has been getting walked twice a day since he was 8 weeks old.  Way back when it was around the block but today it is anywhere from 1 to 3 miles a crack. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008, 11:10:29 am »
Hi!  I have two mastiff's age 2 & 7.
I would nevertake a mastiff jogging!
That is not what they are built for.
I know several mastiff's also in my area, and the people
that have allowed their dogs to run around all day with lots
of exercise and are now looking at huge vet bills.  One now has
a torn crutiate and the other hip dyspasia.  Also never let a mastiff jump up on things, like into a pick up.
Your puppy will take 3-4 years before it's full grown.
Limited exercise is great.  Low impact walking etc.
Again, don't over do it.
Because Mastiff's are the sumo-wrestlers in the doggie world, you must be careful with them.  Can you imagine a sumo type jogging?  Same with a mastiff.
When my Beau was in his first year, I made sure he had limited exercise.  When at the dog park, 20 min max to play.
We also took short walks of 10 to 15 min around the block, and played chase in the yard, where he was able to lay down and rest.
Remember our giants can overheat very quickly.
This site is great for some mastiff health http://members.aol.com/RocknRob56/index.html

Remember your breeder is your best friend when it comes to asking questions about your dog.  I know ours gave us lots of
info on food, exercise, water, bloat etc.

Good luck with your puppy.
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)