Hounds > Afghan Discussions & Pictures

Guess who we just bred.....

(1/3) > >>

Care2Adopt:
My mother called me today- she and I co-own the show dogs, who live with my parents 90% of the time.

HOLLY aka CH. Pahlavi Hurray For Hollywood, JC was bred today to Am/Can BIS, Nat.SBIS, MSBIS, MBIS Can CH Polo’s In The Air Tonite Fch.

Originally, she was planning on breeding her to AM,INT,IT,SP,GBR.,BiH CH Rhadamanthe Sikandar D'Hezaradjah in france but she ended up just buying a male puppy out of his last litter in plans for holly's next breeding a few years down the line. He flew in two months ago and is doing fine.

Pics!

Holly- Dam

Aries- Sire (Photos copywrite Aries breeder/owner)

And pedigrees here:

Aries:
http://www.pawvillage.com/pedigree/dynprofile.asp?ID=3ES7T9E6VM

Holly:
http://pawvillage.com/pedigree/dynprofile.asp?ID=9XGT29X9FH

SOO excited! Aries is a grandson to Ch. Kabik's The Challenger, who was the Best In Show winner at the Westminster in '83. (The last hound to ever win it before the beagle this year, and only 1 of 2 afghans to ever win it) This will be a beautiful litter!

Care2Adopt:
Afghan genetics are so incredibly complicated. Theres thousands of color combinations/effects/masking agents, coupled with the fact that really, you dont have any idea what color your dog is until it is a mature adult about 6 or 7.

About the only thing that is 100% agreed on is if you breed brindle to brindle, you get 100% brindle, and self masked to self masked create double masked.

We are expecting out of this litter 50% brindle, 50% solid, with black, red, creme, blue, and black and tan as options, and a good 25% masked, unless there's a chinchilla effect hidden on holly's side since she has domino and grissle on both her maternal grandmother and great grandfather and paternal grandmother. I'd love to see a blue domino, but the chances are pretty slim ;) I'm not very good at the genetics part, although I am trying to read up more. We always say, color is the last thing on your mind when you breed, but its oh so fun to try to predict :D

here's a great afghan website for color genetics: http://www.farbgenetik.afghanen.de/Farben/ei_start.html

AltDeutsche:
Oh Wow! Both the mom and dad are beautiful! Can't wait to see your litter in 2 months!

Care2Adopt:
No, there's no fatal gene in afghans, but I know exactly what you mean- you can't breed two hairless cresteds together either because the puppies won't survive- homozygous HL genes are fatal.

the only thing I know of in afghans (remembering I am new) is the saying "Breeding two (insert other word for "poop") brindles together will muddy the waters" meaning all you will get is red (AKA s**t brindle) brindle after brindle after brindle for generations.

Ali:
'Tard question of the day - do they always get pregnant from "you know" during thier heat? Like you just automatically assume that Holly is with pup cuz she was knockin' paws?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version