Author Topic: 40th Anniversary of Earth Day. What are you doing to Celebrate the Date?  (Read 6999 times)

Nicole

Very good and important points, Nicole! :)  I definitely don't lump all large scale farms into the factory farm "genre" nor all "small" farms into nice and warm and fuzzy to their animals.  You are so right about this...the size or stature of a farming situation does not secure the standards by which it runs. 

That's why I make a point to know who and where my local food comes from whenever possible. It's not a formula for perfection of course, but it's a start I feel great about. By eliminating all meat from my diet, I don't participate in the support of poor animal conditions for food use at the large or small scale farming level. I choose not to contribute to the slaughter of animals and the perceived *likelihood* of mistreatment at any farm in this way.  My eggs and dairy come from lovely, reliable, animal enthusiasts. Some have a few personal pet "family" hens and share eggs when available, and others have a few family goats or cows who produce occasional, very limited quantities of *delicious* fresh, hormone free milk and cheeses.  True...these are not visited and regulated by government organizations. ..but part of the beauty of it is that they do not have to be when they raise companion-style farm animals and share food gifts with other friends and neighbors. I have a mad stash of gorgeous blueberries when in season and share those, along with fresh rosemary, apples, pomegranates, etc. It's a rather small community of very progressive, artsy fartsy, fun, forward thinking people where I live and we work together to create healthy foods for ourselves...an d we share well with others, lol. :) To give you an idea of the foodtopia I live in, a neighbor a block away takes a walk each evening and he often and leaves me radish tops and baby carrots in my mailbox to feed my house bunny, LOL!

While there are still a lot of flaws, concerns, and issues to be ironed out with all types of food sources and farming, I am really pleased with the choices I make and those people in our community make to improve food quality, environmental responsibility, and to work towards a greater goal.  It's not yet achieved, but it's a great goal and I love encouraging others to find their best ability level to contribute to the solution instead of the problem and just go for it! :)  A lot of people are starting to think more than ever about what we put into our planet, our bodies, and our children's bodies, and how we can do better. Bravo! :)

haha, I had to check and see where you are located...near Athens. Well, of course you have this amazing foodtopia! I used to live in Bloomington, IN. We had the same amazing community there.

Now I live in a rural farming community in Northwest Indiana. Most rural farming communities are not very progressive, to say the least. Its unfortunate, you would think that a community that derives much of its income from agriculture would be more sensitive, but it isn't true.

I'm totally jealous and really miss my foodtopia that I had in Bloomington. The farmer's market here is good, yet teensy.

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
Thanks, Jenn! :) You are all welcome to visit anytime...ther e are no strangers; only friends we haven't met yet! :)

FYI....

Moi aussi, j'embrasse mon chien sur la bouche!  :-*
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Nicole

YAY ALL OF YOU!

Good job!

I know that everyone hates me for always being the uh...um...info rmer here, but I also wanted to add a little thing about "biodegradeable" stuff.

The best thing to do, if at all possible, is avoid using stuff that is disposable. The three R's (Reduce, Reuse, Recycle) are in that order for a reason. They're in order of importance and impact. So, first REDUCE. If you must purchase it, REUSE it. If you can't reuse it, then RECYCLE, but that is the least best option.

Nothing biodegrades in a landfill. I mean, nothing. So, even if your stuff says that it is biodegradeable, that only means under optimum conditions, which include access to air and sunlight. Stuff in a landfill doesn't get that. There are just some things that you can't avoid buying. Like poop bags. *sigh* But, don't let biodegradeable make you feel like they're ok. Cuz they won't biodegrade.

I'm not saying this stuff to be preachy, cuz I'm as guilty as any other person about using some things that you just can't get away from using. Like poop bags. I mean, what else are you going to use? But stuff like water bottles and those kinds of things. Just don't buy plastic water bottles. That's where the reduce thing becomes so important. Yeah, recycling them is good, but REDUCING your need/consumption is so much better. Get a SIGG! Be a cool kid!!

I Just want to educate!

:)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008, 02:09:56 am by Nicole »