Author Topic: advice on a brand of pet food (fixed)  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
advice on a brand of pet food (fixed)
« on: April 11, 2008, 07:40:49 am »
Hi...I bought a small bag of Wolfking last night
and when I came home I did some more research on it....
found out it has great ingredients... .but it is made in
the diamond plant....what do you all think about that?
kind of makes me nervous.....ju st looking  for some opinions. thanks
« Last Edit: April 11, 2008, 08:34:22 am by DaneInsane »
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: advice on a brand of pet food (fixed)
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 02:28:30 pm »
anyone???
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

~Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body..but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out ....shouting.. . WOW!
What a Ride!!!~

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 09:53:09 am »
I wish I knew more about the brand but I don't.  We are using Science Diet on the Vet's rec. and I would really like to switch to something else, but I keep reading all different pros and cons on all the brands out there - and then throw in that the kiddos we have are large breeds and that just makes it all the more confusing - keep me posted - that was one of the brands I considered - but becuase my guys were still pups it wasn't recommended.  I would love to read some responses to your post as well. 

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 03:54:48 pm »
Wow...I'm so excited to be able to offer some kind of input so early on as a member here!

I will start by saying (since I'm new here and it isn't YET obvious) that I am a BIG advocate of very smart nutritional choices for our animals.  I read ingredients, research healthy choices, and firmly recognize the link between excellent nutrition and excellent health.

That said....

I am presently feeding Wolf King by Solid Gold to Balthazar and went through a LOT of thinking and research before choosing it.  When I got him from the rescue org, he was eating Nutro Ultra Large Breed Puppy food.  In researching (and I'm sure the experienced people here can offer MUCH more knowledgeable feedback on this part), I continued to get guidance to feed Balthie a NON-PUPPY formula because the increased protein and fat could cause undue stress on his joints, leading to later health problems.

I ultimately oscillated back and forth trying to decide between Wolf King and Taste of the Wild.  I went ahead and offered the Wolf King by transitioning it into his bowl, and Balthie is doing GREAT with it and he also really, really enjoys his food.  He's no longer on the Nutro...he's doing Wolf King alone. I love that it is a very lean choice, that the ingredients are corn and by-product free, and that it's a bison & salmon based formula rather than chicken/turkey.

I, too, am not 100% confident in knowing it comes from Diamond, and may make a change at some point to Taste of the Wild (AND may post my own questions about food as well). 

I just wanted to let you know that as far as the food itself goes right now, it is a very good choice for Balthie's enjoyment and the nutrient content appears to be top notch, IMHO.  Maybe we can continue to "talk it out" here and gain wisdom from one another r.e. the Diamond concern.

Sorry I couldn't be more 'decisive' in my thoughts or opinions but maybe just talking about it helps!

Love,
Jen
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 12:21:05 am »
We are using Solid Gold Wolfcub on our pups. I don't know if I will follow through to Wolfking or switch to Orijen yet. I have to get through the puppy stage first and want to be very careful with the protein and their growth.

In the end I would love to actually be on a Raw diet that I make for them. But just looking at all that needs to go into their diet and the cost of meat, it makes me cringe.

I bought a book about natural dog nutrition and also used www.dogfoodana lysis.com to help me with my decision. I knew I didn't want Purina or Pedigree. Or any other commercial dog food that you could buy at any local store. I wanted the best.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline BalthiesMom

• Ankle Biter
  • Dog is my Co-Pilot! :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2008, 02:49:24 am »
WOW...this is the most fabulous place EVER! LOL...I have never seen so many people know (and CARE!) about giving GREAT, solid doggie advice before!  This is WONDERFUL!

I did not know that TOTW was also Diamond (or completely forgot if I did know at some point)!  I really resonate with the advice on Diamond being very careful these days. What a great point!  Balthie seems very healthy and happy on his Wolf King/Solid Gold food right now.  In fact, I noticed that he started having a LOT less gas (choke, gasp, gas mask *please*) which was certainly a very nice added bonus! ;)

Note to self: you guys rock! :D
"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be measured in the way its animals are treated." Gandhi

You can lead a compassionate lifestyle by saving animal lives, caring for our planet, and nurturing your health!  Visit www.goveg.org

"Be the change you wish to see in this world." Gan

Offline Thelma

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 09:51:33 am »
wow..thanks to everyone for their remarks...we have been
feeding innova but we were looking for maybe a change..we will probably stick with the innova for now maybe use the wolfking for a treat since they do like it, thanks again
~Thelma & Karl~
~Duke~Zoe~Toby~Spencer

What a Ride!!!~