Author Topic: Are Mastiffs... STUPID?!  (Read 13651 times)

Offline mastiffmommy

• Chief "All Knowing"
    • View Profile
Re: Are Mastiffs... STUPID?!
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2005, 01:39:11 pm »
Marit that story of the boarder collie brought tears to my eyes!!! I was thinking of being a foster mom but I don't know if I could take it. Having to give the dog to a new home

Nina

I know Nina, it is hard and I dont do a lot of fostering. I love animals and working in rescue can be sooooo hard. Im sure you have read somewhere here, that I have done that for more than 20 years, and I think the one thing it has tought me is to, in order to make it, you ALWAYS have to keep the animals best for your eyes. Sometimes it is to have an animal put to sleep, even if you would want to do everything possible to try and help it to stay alive, you know that certain cases the best thing is for the dog or cat or whatever it is, to go to the bridge. Also with fostering, when it is time to let them go, it is sooooo hard, you have invested so much time and emotions and fallen in love with them and now you have to let go. It IS easier though with dogs you know, will without a doubt have a better life somewhere else, you cant provide the ultimate home for him due to breed specifics or other issues. then is is hard but you also have such a warm and fussy feeling when you know you screened well, know the dog is going to one super home and you keep in tough with them. It is harder when it is a dog you know it is possible for you to keep. Then you have to focus on the next dog, knowing that if you keep the fosterdogs and make them permanent family members, there might not be a foster home for the next dog that is only having hours left.

BUT I agree Nina, it is heart breaking and hard. The only thing that help you go thought it, is to focus on the dogs future and all the dogs you have and can help. I am still keeping in touch with every single home where I have placed dogs, not only the ones I have fostered myself but all that I have been Case Manager for or done the home visit. I have 20 years of families, and even the ones where the dogs have passed away many years ago, I still keep in touch with, and that is what makes me going, there ARE good homes out there, and that makes it a little easier to go thought the tough and sad days.

Marit
what the lion is to a cat, the mastiff is to a dog