Author Topic: Kate did well at the Kennel  (Read 5660 times)

k2campbell

Kate did well at the Kennel
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:41:57 am »
Kate did fairly well at the kennel this past weekend (her "trial" before we go on vacation for two weeks this summer).  :)

Although she did well, I must admit I'm still really apprehensive about leaving her there for a whole 2 weeks in the summer, that's a long time! ::) She stayed at the kennel for 3.5 days (3 nights). Her report card said she played really well with the dogs they paired her with for playtime, and that there wasn't an aggresive bone in her body! ;D That's my good girl  ;) It also said that Kate LOVED her cuddle/massage/brushing time with her caregiver (named Katie, too funny)! :D Kate gives us a hard time when we brush her, so I wonder what they did to have her cooperate??? ??? ::)

The only (sort-of) problem they had with Kate was her eating (or lack of). She only ate 1 cup a food a day, and she'd eat it throughout the night. 1st night she didn't eat at all actually  :P She wouldn't eat her bully sticks either, we sent 3 with her (1 per day, just little ones) and she never even touched the 1st one they gave her over all 3 days... :-X :-\ AND...I asked how she slept (tough for them to know) and they said her bed looked as if it wasn't touched very much (no indents in it nor was it ruffled around at all)...this made me think that maybe she didn't sleep (unless she slept elsewhere and not on the bed)?  ??? I don't know... :-\

So...I don't know what I think about leaving her for 2 weeks  ??? She went CRAZY when we picked her up, she was sooooooo happy to see us  ;D (but on the same note) was whining as we were leaving and she was watching her caregiver walk away and barking at her... :) As soon as we hit the highway, she was asleep in the truck (ha ha ha) :D She was MAD at us the whole next day (snubbed us all day long) but today she has been back to her old happy self! ;D ;D ;D ;)

So I'm satisfied with her stay there, but don't know what I think about a whole 2 weeks this summer  ??? Am I expecting too much? Am I being silly? I don't know!!! ::) ::) ::)

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: Kate did well at the Kennel
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 09:50:23 am »
Kate probably didn't eat much from the stress of the new environment. But now that she knows you will eventually come back to get her and it is pretty fun afterall, I bet she'll be quite content next time :)
RIP former BPO

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 10:31:02 am »
Awwww...it always hard to leave them, no matter where they are!!!  Sounds like your pup did great!!! 
Congrats...isn't seperation from our fur babies more difficult for us then them?? ;D
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 12:23:20 pm »
I'm sure she'll be fine. The last time we went to Nova Scotia for Christmas we had to fly Harley out 2 wks before us (because of the no pets can fly during Christmas) and she stayed with Tim's parents. She was the same way at first not eating then after a few days she was back to her old self. She even ignored us when we got there ::) But after a few hours she was back to giving us love  ;D

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

k2campbell

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2008, 11:19:57 am »
Thanks EVERYONE for making me feel better about leaving Kate! ;) You are all right though, she will be fine, I'm just too much of a worry-wart  :-X ::) I'm sure after staying longer this summer (into her 4th or 5th day there) she'll be ruling the roost! :D

And Julie, good luck finding a kennel for your boys to stay at! ;) It's actually fun work to go around and visit them (like we did) before choosing, we learned A LOT about how a few dollars more a day REALLY makes a difference in the care they receive (in some cases)! They are our babies and deserve the best, definitely! ;) Let us know how it goes! ;)

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2008, 11:32:22 am »
the first time is always harder than the next.  She'll go easy on the food for a day or two, but will be ok after that.  With a trial run, the 2 weeks this summer will be easier on her.  she knows now that you will not leave her there permanately.   Grace was like that too, but has always done fine.