Author Topic: Ridgeback mixed with what?  (Read 16294 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

Ridgeback mixed with what?
« on: August 03, 2005, 05:00:49 pm »
My friend who is a member here but isn't active yet asked if I would post these pics of her dog Zeus...They found him starving & wandering the streets in the town she lives in & brought him home...That was about a year & 1/2 ago & she says he is the best dog!...He is so good with her kids & they all just love him!...She had no idea what he was when they first found him & because he was so muscular they thought he might have been a Pit mix but then decided he was probably a Ridgeback mix...What do you all think?...Ridgeback? & mixed with what?...Ty in advance!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2005, 05:06:37 pm by GYPSY JAZMINE »

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
Re: Ridgeback mixed with what?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2005, 02:38:16 am »
He looks pretty full breed to me, just not to "standard" with that extra white.  Is he ridgeless?  I've seen full Ridgies that look a lot like him.  Here's a picture of my Ridgeback Play Group.

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2005, 03:22:35 am »
Thanks for your reply!...No he doesn't have the ridge...But he looks alot like that one pup in your play group!...I'll tell her to come check out the pic! :)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2005, 05:25:19 am »
If he is mixed with something, it could be boxer......... ....hence the white, no ridge (although there are ridgebacks w/o ridges) and his face being not quite as refined as ridgebacks usually are.

Edit here.  My bro's ex girlfriend also had a ridgeback mixed with golden (supposedly), although she looked mostly ridgeback..... ....face, hair, everything.   She looked alot like that but smaller.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 05:29:14 am by ZooCrew »

Offline pndlake

• Leader of the Pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2005, 06:21:16 am »
I might think a little hound in the face.  What a good looker. mmmmm
Peggy

Offline Summer

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2005, 02:46:03 am »
Most of the Ridgebacks I know have at least a little white...howeve r, according to breed standard, excessive white is bad ::)

Icerotti

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2005, 04:30:29 am »
His body looks like boxer to me --the one were he is stretched out on the couch. Maybe Ridge and boxer mix?  He is very cute ;D

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • we breed for quality, not quantity.TOP PEDIGREES,
    • View Profile
    • http:www.taijinrhodesianrhodesianridgebacks
exeseevive white
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2005, 08:37:55 pm »
i know excessive white is a nono, but  last show i was at, i saw a bitch, white socks and all , take BOW, i guess she was so well put together, and moved out so flowingly, and etc!
the judge put her up as a winners.
 my dogs do not have a lot of white, but it's always up to the judge....... jeeeesh  how many pups i sold with too much white as PET quality
live and learn i guess. BTW, i love the ohoto of all the ridgebacks together. what a beautiful sight to see
TAIJIN Rhodesian Ridgebacks

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 08:40:24 pm »
He looks pretty full breed to me, just not to "standard" with that extra white.  Is he ridgeless?  I've seen full Ridgies that look a lot like him.  Here's a picture of my Ridgeback Play Group.

i just love this photo!!!!!!!!!!

Offline mrpuppy

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2005, 07:10:05 pm »
boxer,positively,only!!!! a boxer has a chest like that!
bear,14 month old newfie,140 pounds (estimated)

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2006, 01:12:52 am »

ive seen many RR's win in shows, and have the extra white
its not a D. Q., just undersirable, if the dog, much white, is put together beautifully, and moves out like a dream, they can win. also, the white is easy to breed out.
the only D. Q. on a ridgeback, is no ridge

Offline taijinrr

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 08:13:27 pm »

over 2 years ago, they have revised the WHITE, it is not undersirable, any more  i have seen many RR's  with what you would call, too much white, champion.
it's all in the conformation of the dog.NOT THE COLOR
the ONLY D Q is no ridge, a missing or more then  2 crowns, except for, i have bred and championed RR.s with a small swirl ontop of the head. also, saw an amazingly beautiful dog, ridge going down his front side,with also having a beautiful ridge on his back, take a best of breed, he was that well put together!!!!!!  this revision comes from RRCUS
a bit more white does not take away from the beauty of the ridgeback, actually, it can really look beautiful, and very flashy looking in the ring. i guess we are going back to the original type color of the african ridgebacks.  this is wonderful, so many show prospects were sold as pet , because of white, yippie for our whit footed ridgebacks!!!!!