Author Topic: I'm getting the itch...  (Read 3932 times)

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
I'm getting the itch...
« on: April 19, 2008, 12:26:47 am »
I really feel like I need to start fostering again. A friend of mine called this morning to ask what to do with a stray husky she just found and I can't stop thinking aobut how much I'm NOT doing right now.

Aaron is adamant that 2 dogs and 2 cats is enough right now, though so...

How do I convince him to agree to fostering?

I brought home a little dog I had found on the road one morning on my way to work and he was NOT happy. I told him I was just going to hold him until Monday when I could take him to the shelter and he relaxed (a little). So, how do I convince him to let me keep a dog or cat for longer than 24 hours?
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: I'm getting the itch...
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 01:06:03 pm »
I broached the subject this morning (and managed to conjur up some teary eyes). He didn't say no. He's worried about always having 3 dogs or 3 cats here instead of the 2 and 2. (He's a little OCD about some things).

I told him we could work out a deal like

1) I would only foster one at a time and would have to have at least a 30 day break in between or
2) we would only foster a certain breed so they would only call us when that certain breed popped up in the shelter

I gave him some time to think about it.

And then I'll probably just go ahead and do it anyway (hee hee)
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Nicole

Re: I'm getting the itch...
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2008, 04:04:00 am »
I don't know. I've become a huge advocate of peace in the household. It used to be such a big deal and caused so much tension between Mark and I. Now that I've let it go, we're all getting along so much better. I'm sure that I'll really feel strongly about it again. When that time comes, there are a few things that I know we'll agree on, so that I can make it happen.

The particular breed thing helps, I think. Or, in any case, particular colors. He knows that black dogs are at a disadvantage, so if we can help black dogs, he's always cool with that.

Also, the time thing. When I took Mabel in, it was agreed that she would be the last one for awhile. We didn't define "awhile" but we both knew that meant a little sooner than he'd like, and a little longer than I'd like, but not right away.