Author Topic: need some experienced info over here....  (Read 3981 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
need some experienced info over here....
« on: April 22, 2008, 03:16:00 am »
Hi everyone,
For those that know me and Marley you know we have been debating adding a second dog to the family. Well we have taken the plunge! yaaa!
We are going to be raising a sister for Marley starting in June. She is a 10 week old Bernese Mountain dog.
What we need to know: Marley was 9 months when I got him so I have no idea what a 10 week old pup care is all about. Specifically can a puppy so young be outside? what special care do they require that differs from a 9 month old? Will my Pyr be ok left alone with a pup for any amount of time?
anything else you think of that you can spill out to me would be great! Looking for all sorts of answers, suggestions and great advice.
thanks.  ;D :) ;D
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
Re: need some experienced info over here....
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008, 11:12:42 am »
Hooray for you! A new pup on the way! Tani, my mutt, is about 4, and we recently added Kai, a 4 month old mutt. I have found that, although Tani is a very gentle soul and an amazingly sweet girl, she has had her limits tested TO THE MAX by Kai. On two occasions, Tani bloodied Kai's muzzle because she had had enough of the ear biting, neck biting, ankle biting nonsense. I've had to separate the girls, and supervise their play more closely than I supervise my skin kids! I would not recommend that the pup be unsupervised with Marley based on my own personal experience. And really, Tani is such a mush - the times that Kai has yelped and come to me dripping blood, Tani has had the most pathetic mopey sad look on her face. She is so sorry! So, I try really hard not to put her in that position anymore.
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: need some experienced info over here....
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 02:23:40 am »
Oh, so exciting! My Sammy is a nine-month-old Bernese, and he was such a sweet puppy, so I'm sure yours will be too! The main advice I can give you about having a puppy is to make sure to take it outside ALL THE TIME to go to the bathroom. I used to take Sammy out every hour or two when he was a pup, and he learned pretty quick to go to the bathroom outside. I also found it really helpful to crate train him, and he has always slept in his crate. Especially where you have two dogs, I think it will be really good for your new girl to be crate trained so she can have her own space away from Marley.

My guess is that your new pup will ADORE Marley. As soon as Sammy met my parents' older golden, he just started following her around everywhere. But of course since Marley is young too, he'll probably want to play with the pup, and he might be too rough. Judging by Sammy's activities, I'd say dogs his age tend to play pretty rough, so you'll want to keep a close eye on the two of them to make sure the pup doesn't get hurt. When Sammy was small, he had no sense of self-preservation whatsoever (still doesn't) so you kind of need to watch out for them, since they don't do it themselves!

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have about Berner pups! I can only go off my experience with the one dog, but maybe I can be helpful! They are a wonderful breed, and I'm sure you'll love her!