Author Topic: Saint B needs new food....  (Read 3387 times)

Offline missmdr

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Saint B needs new food....
« on: April 19, 2008, 04:29:29 am »
Hi,
I'm new here, but hoping that I can get some advice/help with a problem we are having w/our Saint - Jasper (6 year old male).  A quick summary of his past health history - at 10 mo old, he started vomiting and had bowel issues and it was very severe.  THe local vet took tests, meds, xrays - etc etc.  The best we could make was that he had esophageal problems of some sort (can't recall...).  They reffered me to Boston to a larger institution.  $4k later he was released w/the diagnosis of a congenital defect of his diaphrahm, a hiatal hernia etc.  They performed surgery on him, suturing his stomach to this body wall - this basically was the part of the care that saved him.  Upon returning home, he was put on a special Duck and Potato diet (IVD brand through local vet) that he's been on ever since....we spend on avg $225 a month on this food....and being in more of a financial crunch in the past, I'm looking for alternatives that we can pursue to save some $$.  It's starting to pinch us very tight - we have a new baby on the way in 6 wks (#3) and w/me out of work, the budget is getting more and more tight....

My past experience w/transitioning him to a new food was very minimal - I think I tried it twice - to a venison based sold at Petco,  and another brand of duck/potato also from Petco.  Both instances resulted in vomiting/sickness/diareah from Jasper, even w/transitioning in small does.

DOes anyone have ANYTHING they can recommend to me - who has little expereince in this realm - for food, care, patience etc?!

THanks so much!
Melanie

Offline Tazz

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: Saint B needs new food....
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 04:39:01 am »
I have zero experience in this area, but am sorry your pup (and you!)is going through all this! My saint has been on Blue Buffalo since she was 4 months and has done really well on it.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 05:53:08 am »
Our Golden mix has IBD & allergies so she's on Natural Balance Duck & Potato, but that maybe what you're using now since you mentioned Petco.  We tried IVD D&P for Daisy at first and she did well on it, but I switched her to NB's formula b/c it didn't contain any by-products (IVD did at the time though I don't know if it still does). 

Simply Natural also makes a duck & potato formula that is very good (no by-products).  We've tried it and it was great, but it's not available in our area yet.  As I recall Simply Natural's was a bit cheaper than NB, also.  Here is a website for a company that sells that product and they will ship it to you also if that helps (they also will send samples to you to try).

www.healthypet snw.com/products/products_dog_dry.php

However, you'd have to see if the shipping costs negate the other savings.  :-\  I hope that helps a little.   ;)

By the way, welcome to BPO and congratulation s on the new baby!   ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2008, 05:52:17 am »
Welcome!!!  I hope you can find a food that works for your SB.  I have an Akita who bloated in Jan. Her vet recommended finding a food that didnt contain any corn at all.  Apparently, corn can make them more prone to bloat.
Go to www. bluebuff.com and check out what/if they may have anything for your baby. Good Luck!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2008, 08:08:08 am »
Hi Melanie,

First of all, welcome to BPO!

I think it is a great idea for you to switch foods. Vet's always recommend science diet, eukanuba, or IVD because they actually sell them. But there are SO many higher quality foods that are actually way better for you dog and cheaper at the same time. I was just looked up IVD and saw that it's $80 for a 35lb bag - thats insane, expecially considering it's made by royal canin so I know the ingredients aren't the highest quality. The only reason vets recommend IVD is that it is what they sell for allergy foods. There are actually tons of allergy friendly foods on the market, most of which are significantly less expensice and you can get at small pet stores. Do you have an especially for pets near you? They have the best selection (they have 6 locations all here in mass and I see you are from mass too). Petco and petsmart don't have the best foods, but they are deffinately better than the grocery store so if you can't find a small pet store that carries better foods they have a few good choices.

You deffinately want to stick to a high quality food - even though they seem more expensive, if you get a good one with quality ingredients, your dog will eat less than he does now, and deffinately less than a grocery store brand, so it actually works out to be cheaper.  If you have to go to petco, I'd say dick van paten's natural balance duck formula is your best way to go, since they are one of the highest quality ones they sell at petco and the duck and potato is hypoallergenic (and we know your dog isn't allergic to duck or potatoe if he's doing fine on his current food). Another one I would suggest trying is wellness simple solutions duck & rice - it's relatively modestly priced and only has 5 key ingredients so its good for dogs with sensitive tummies. (here's the link to the wellness site: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_wellness_simple_food_solutions_duck.html ). Also, it might be ok to try a different protein since it might very well be the grains that upset him (hence potato is good on his tummy). There are a lot of good grain free foods now adays - some that come to mind are canidae, wellness core, evo, nature's variety, artemis, orijen, and fromm

I recently lost my saint Zoey, who had irritable bowel. We tried a bunch of different foods - some of the foods she did best on were wellness, merrick, and canidea, so you might want to look at those. They're moderately priced too - wellness and canidea are $30-$40 for a big bag...

Where in Mass are you? Did Jasper get his surgery at tufts (they are awesome)? Also, where did you get Jasper if you don't mind my asking? The reason I am asking is that I am also from Mass and I am wondering if Jasper might have come from the same breeder as my Zoey
RIP former BPO