Author Topic: How much is too much time outside?  (Read 5969 times)

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
How much is too much time outside?
« on: April 24, 2008, 10:36:13 pm »
So, Sophie is just getting over a UTI and I have had her outside a lot so that she could pee whenever she felt the urge.  However, she now seems to want to be out all the time.  We have a fenced yard and Binky will often go out with her for a few hours, but Sophie will stay out for 4-5 hours at a time if we let her.  Is this OK?  I don't want her to be an outside dog, but she really likes to nap outside and just wander around, even if none of the other dogs are out (she also likes to watch the goats).  She is very friendly and when she is inside, she sits by us.  I just don't want her to be excluded, and I guess outside is better than being in the crate-though I only crate her for a few minutes at time if I can't watch her (and at night).  BTW, the dogs are never outside when we are not home.  I am just worried that her being alone outside so much might make her anti-social.  What do you think?
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline patrick

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
    • Great Pyrenees
Re: How much is too much time outside?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:49:03 pm »
Leave her outside- she is perfectly content out there  Mine are outside 10-12 hours a day, weather permitting- it does not make them anti-social

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2008, 01:02:08 am »
i know that with my now 3(!!!) that they love being outside because the ground is cooler than inside.  We do make a note of going outside, checking on them, playing with them.  They love it, we will also talk thru the windows to them too...i would prefer them out than inside in a crate...or getting into somethings that shouldnt...

Offline peytons mama

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2008, 05:59:03 am »
i don't think it will make her anti-social. we don't have a fence and peyton stays out 3-4 hours at a time just watching bikers, kids, dog walkers and cars that whole time. we play with her and then she just walks over and flops down when she is done playing. i think she is being more social than we can be with her if she were to be in the house. she barks and gets kinda "meany bark" so we go and investigate. it's usually only because she hasn't meant the people or dogs and so we take her leash and she gets to meet the new "friends". but she'll let us know when it's time for her to go in. and about a half an hour after we let her in, it's time to go out again!!! if you think it will change the way she is, then listen to your instint, but also pay attention to her, if she is changing, then let her out not as long, if it doesn't change her, let her free!  ;D you are a mom, and YOU know what is best for your BABY! all we can do is tell you it will be okay and offer our opionions and stories.  :)
Your house isn't a home until you have made a bed for a dog.

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2008, 05:04:37 pm »
Mine are outside for about 14 hours a day...Now that being said Marley started as an outside dog and it wasn't easy to "convert" him into coming in at night. He is fine now and was never anti-social..there is typically just a lot more going on outside than inside.
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline faye

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:12:07 pm »
one of my pyrs would stay outside all the time if allowed. the other likes to come inside to see what is going on now and then.  my newf likes to be inside with people and my sheltie likes outside if warm only.  all different from each other.

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2008, 10:16:17 pm »
As everyone else said, if she wants to be out there, don't worry about it.  Raja would stay outside all the time and I would allow a lot more of it IF she wasn't such a barker!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2008, 10:39:15 pm »
I agree with everyone else..if the weathers nice and she wants to enjoy it, let her enjoy.