Author Topic: new owner  (Read 4891 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
new owner
« on: August 04, 2005, 11:04:07 am »
Hi Everyone, the AC Clan family (all of our names begin with A including Abby the great mouse catching cat) has a new addition - Angus, our 11 week old newfoundland puppy. I've been reading the posts here for awhile now and decided I should register to take advantage of all the great advice, pictures, stories, etc...
Now for a bit about my family: We live in St. John's, Newfoundland and have 3 children ages 6, 4 and 4 months and after 6 years of debating on a newfoundland dog we finally made our choice and couldn't be happier. I'm looking forward to reading and see more on this board and hopefully joining in on some of the discussions. When I get some good pictures I'll be sure to post them for all to see.
Is there anyone else here from Newfoundland?

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
Re: new owner
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:33:26 am »
oooh!  A new newfie puppy!  We aren't from Newfoundland (we're from California), but we do have a newfie puppy.  Welcome!  Please post lots of photos soon!   :) :)

Jessica and Sasha

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 12:57:23 pm »
I just wanted to say congrats on your new puppy and welcome to BPO! :)
RIP former BPO

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 06:44:19 pm »
Welcome to BPO! I am in California too but totally want to go to Newfoundland just to see what Bear's homeland is like. I think it would be a great place to vacation and explore.

Question- is there a lot of Newfies (dogs) running around there? I met someone on line who said the main dog there was a Lab but I was wondering if that has changed at all?

I am so excited that you got a Newf and can't wait to see pictures. Angus is a great name too!
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 06:58:29 pm »
Thanks for the welcome to BPO. I'll be sure to post some pics of Angus and show off his homeland! As for newfoundland dogs here, i can agree that there is not to many, almost rare to see unless you know where to go. Most of the tour boats have a newfoundland onboard but that is mainly for the tourists. Other than that I would see around 4 to 6 a year, and I live in the capital city, where at one point in time (1800's) there was over 2000 working here! I would think the beagle is the most abundant dog here, used for hunting rabbits and there is a lot of labs here as well, after all the lab is the 2nd dog named after us (our provinces official name is Newfoundland and Labrador).
I find it strange trying to call refer to my dog as a newf or newfie as that is what everyone in Canada calls us!!

Offline Khiori

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • SoloDancer
    • View Profile
    • Solitude
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 07:07:03 pm »
I get confused when ppl talk about newfies, then I realize they mean the PEOPLE of Newfoundland lol.  Welcome to Big Paws Only!

btw, I don't see our beloved breed often either.  In fact, the first newfoundland dog I saw that didn't belong to me I freaked out thinking they had stole our dog lol.  I think I was about seven years old. The other dog's name was Vitamin.  I'll never forget that day.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 07:18:49 pm »
Welcome Acrevolt! Beautiful pup! We are in neighboring provinces, I'm in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Hope to hear more from you and lots of pics!
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 07:19:41 pm »
The newfie thing is funny. A few people here are really offended by it (not me). I was reading a newsgroup on newfoundland dogs the other day when a newfoundlander wrote in to try and convince everyone there to not call thier dogs newfies because it really offends people. I do not think that way and pretty soon I'll start using Newfie in reference to Angus as Newfoundland is just to long to type all the time. It is funny when I think about it, everyone here who stop me when I'm walking Angus ask if he's a Newfoundland, never a newf or newfie!

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 07:35:56 pm »
Thanks Saintgirl. Nice to see the maritimes represented!!

Offline Bear

• Paw-meister
  • The Bear Cub
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 07:54:57 pm »
Welcome to BPO! We need a genuine newfie on here! wait.. newfoundler, newf.. wait which one am I talking about?  ???  J/k.. anyway, I'm on a google board for newfies (the dog) and remember when someone came in extremely offended by the term newfie - but she was actually upset about us referencing the dog that way! I couldn't believe that one.

Anyway, welcome! I'm sure I'm speaking for all of us here.. we need lots of pictures of you, your newf, and your country!

Michael~

Offline brigid67

• BPO Guru
  • Dream And Desire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 08:57:46 pm »
Hi Welcome to the board...I love Newfie puppies!!!!
Timmie