Author Topic: Getting Our Pyrenees Puppy on Friday  (Read 6385 times)

Offline Mama2Samson

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Getting Our Pyrenees Puppy on Friday
« on: May 03, 2008, 04:47:01 pm »
Hi Pyr Lovers, I have been reading your posts for the last couple of months but haven't written because I am without Pyr for the moment.  But this is about to change!  My family is about to welcome Samson (aka Rascal) on Friday.  My parents are getting another of the puppies too.  We are so excited!  Our senior citizen Pyrenees, Lady, died last summer from aggressive bone cancer, and we are finally ready to open our hearts again.  It has been a long, long time since we've had a puppy.  We got Lady as a rescue seven years ago.  The last time I had a puppy was when I was newly married 18 years ago.  I am so, so exited but a little scared too.  Anyone have any words of wisdom for me? 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2008, 05:46:19 pm by Jacksmom »

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
Re: Getting Our Pyrenees Puppy on Friday
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:38 am »
Welcome to BPO! I'm glad you posted and how exciting to be getting your puppy! Unfortunately, I don't have any words of puppy wisdom for you as I have never had one--I prefer to adopt adult dogs and bypass the cute, adorable, yet exhausting puppy stage!  ;) But there are lots of puppy folks on the board who I imagine will have all kinds of been there, done that advice for you.  :)

I'm sorry for your loss of Lady.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 08:09:28 am by pyr4me »
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Binky

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:23 am »
Congratulation s- can't wait to see pix!  As for "wisdom" about puppies...I forget how much work they are every time we get one!  But so worth it.  We have a 3.5 month old Leo pup and she is settling in with the rest of the crew, but gnawing on everything, and jumping and biting and generally getting into anything she shouldn't.  My advice is get a crate and lots of chew toys!  Binky, our Pyr, was a big chewer as a pup and loved bully sticks.
You must be so excited!
Binky-Great Pyrenees
Sophie-Leonberger
McDougal-Papillon
Chicklet-Papillon
Sigfried-Cat  RIP Sigs
Spooky-Cat
Jasper-Nigerian Dwarf goat
Ferdinand-Nigerian Dwarf goat

Offline London_Pyr_Lover

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 01:28:01 pm »
Hi there and welcome to the board!  I'm Alex, momma to a 1 year old Great Pyr named Naja, and a little Cairn Terrier named Moo who is also a year old.  The puppy stage is exhausting but sooooo worth it I think.  My advice would be to get little Samson in a Puppy Class as soon as possible, make sure you are always consistant, get a crate, and make sure everyone in the family is actively involved in training.  Good luck, Have fun, and please by all means Post lots and lots of pictures!!!   :D :D :D :D
My Sponsership page for my very first race!

Offline Mama2Samson

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2008, 11:14:31 am »
Thanks for your warm welcome, Alex.  I feel I already know you in a way because I have been reading the discussion threads for a while.  I am going to have to figure out how to post pictures.  I am a little computer illiterate.  My husband is the computer GEEK in the family, so I may have to enlist his help. To give you an idea of what he looks like though, he has fairly dark badger markings around his eyes and a dark spot on his rear end.  He looks like Zorro, but the markings are fading every day. 

As for the crate, I just finished cleaning a wire one that I got from a friend who has Newfies.  It's HUGE.  I never used an extra large crate with my Pyr who died last summer.  She fit in the large one.  However, our breeder suggested we get the largest one we could find. I will be using a medium sized on for a little while and then moving up as Samson gets bigger.  I loved having a crate when I raised my first puppy, Cascade.  It made everything easier.  However, I still remember how time consuming watching a puppy could be.  Luckily, I have two children (15 and 12) to help supervise and exercise the puppy this time.

Anyway, I love the picture of your beautiful Naja.  Do you prounounce the j in it as a j or a y?  I've been wondering. 

Dawn 

marypyrs

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:25:07 am »
Hi Dawn! And welcome!

I've been without a computer for a month and have been going though BPO Withdrawal big time. I'm just now trying to get caught up on everything that's gone on here. It seems I've missed a LOT!

Anyway. Congratulation s on Samson/Rascal!

I'm Jane and Mom to Rainbow and Whisper. Pyrs - 5 1/2 year old F and 22 month old M. Pyrs have been a HUGE part of my life for many, many years (35) and I could never imagine being without one - or two - or three.  ;)

Are there pictures out there that I've missed of your Babe? An update? I'm going to check it out now.  :)

Again. Welcome.

Jane

Offline Michelle Schnapp

• Gnawer
  • Noah and Jazzy. Jazzy is a rescue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:16:48 pm »
Congratulation s!  What a wonderful thrill.  A Pyr puppy is like none other.  Over the years I've had St. Bernards, Newfoundland, Old English Sheep Dog, Leonberger and now two Pyrs. Noah, our male, was very challenging as he thought I was his littermate and would chew on me all the time.  My arms and hands were a mess last summer.  I'm a softy and I guess I should have been firmer, but I don't know, somehow when you look into those eyes and that fluffy face, it's hard to do it.  But take it from me, I was wrong.  Make sure the puppy knows who's the Alpha dog around your home.  I think Noah is still trying to figure it out.  He knows my husband's the head honcho, but he's still not sure about me.  Our female is a rescue and I haven't had a problem with her as she was very timid and had been abused by the previous owner.  She's so much better now and has settled in to being a typical Pyr.  When we first got her, I was surprised because people had told me they never respond to "come".  Well, Jazzy came to me every time I called her in.  It didn't last long.  Once she was comfortable, I'd go to call her and Noah in the house, they'd just look at me, look at each other, and then turn around and walk away from me like I wasn't even there.  She's VERY comfortable now, wouldn't you say?

Good luck with your new baby and be sure to let the baby know who's boss.  That's very important.

Michelle
Toledo, OH

I'm a first-time Great Pyrenees owner. Noah was purchased from a Breeder in Northern Wisconsin when he was 8 wks old. Jasmine was purchased from Indianapolis Great Pyr Rescue at 8 mos. We took Noah with us and he personally picked out Jasmine. It was love at first sight and remains that way to this.