Author Topic: Kentucky Derby : (  (Read 3558 times)

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Kentucky Derby : (
« on: May 04, 2008, 07:03:07 am »
I don't go out of my way to watch horse racing but The Kentucky Derby is special and I was visiting my husband in the hospital - not much else to do.

During the almost 12 hours of pre-race coverage I came to know Eight Belles a beautiful, very large, filly who had a chance to actually win.  I rooted (sp?) for her she was so beautiful : (.  She came in second....and now she is gone I couldn't believe it; I didn't know her or anyone affiliated with her but she was sooo beautiful - I was literally devistated.

So RIP Beautiful 8 Belles I hope you enjoyed your short life and last race you certainly gave it your all.

Randy

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Kentucky Derby : (
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2008, 10:53:54 am »
I'm done with horseracing I won't be watching again. 

Jenn what your friend says makes perfect sense - if our dogs don't finish growing until they are 2 or 3 how would we expect horses to be full grown?

Again, such a shame

Randy

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2008, 12:05:05 pm »
My mother and I were talking about this this morning.  Thoroughbreds' birthdays are in Jan.  If a foal is born in June, on Jan 1st they are considered one year old even though they are only 6 months.  So that's why a lot of breeders will try to breed so that they foal in Jan/Feb.  Plus, think about it, a horse is a HUGE animal and their cannon bone isn't that big!!

Years ago my mom got an old race horse that never won, always came in second or third though, when her vet checked her over after looking at her legs he said "this horse has more head than heart!"  She became a brood mare, then was turned out to pasture and then my mom got her as an older lady!!

I don't know what board it was on, my mother was reading it this morning, but people would like to find a way to make it a "law" that horses can't be raced until the appropriate age.  But with all the money involved I really don't see a chance in he!! for that idea.  It would be nice though.

RIP Eight Belles
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

chaosndestruction

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »
My mother and I were talking about this this morning.  Thoroughbreds' birthdays are in Jan.  If a foal is born in June, on Jan 1st they are considered one year old even though they are only 6 months.

Any purebred horse that's being shown is this way. Not just Thoroughbreds.  The foal could be born Dec 31st. and be considered a yearling as soon as Jan. 1st rolls around.

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2008, 01:38:06 pm »
I don't have anything to add, but had to say I agree with everyone. I was watching some of the coverage yesterday and became quite depressed :(
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2008, 03:31:23 pm »
I wasn't watching the race but hubby was and I was listening to it while I was on the computer.

Very sad indeed.
But not all that surprising.  Most horses retire by the time they're 5 yrs old.  When they are 2 they start racing, and many retire after 3.  Way too young as even though the jockeys are light the horse isn't even close to mature yet.

Add in all the hard riding and something is bound to happen.  Most 2 yr olds that start racing never make it to the 3 yr old races.  They push them too hard, their bones are not developed so are weaker. 

It makes me so sad.  The injuries could be very easily avoided if only there were changes made to when a horse can start competitive racing.

Offline Nina

• Supreme Drooler
  • In Loving memory 12/30/05 8:30pm We miss you
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:33:28 pm »
We have a huge Calgary Stampede here in ALberta. I have never gone to it. The have chuck wagon races and it feels like every year there is an accident and a horse or horses are hurt. I think last year or the year before they had a huge crash were 3 horses got hurt and were pts. They should just get rid of those types of races. Very sad  :'(

One year an owners prize horse broke its leg (at the stampede) and the owner refused to put him down. It took a long time for him to recover but he did, he is no longer racing but he is a happy pet horse now  :)

Nina
Nina and Tim
Calgary, AB, Canada
Harley(Lab mix)
Dilbert(Pyr mix)At the bridge
Jolene (cat)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 07:11:50 pm »
sorry i don't get it...not  a horse person here...but she died? Why did she die?

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 07:42:57 pm »
Yes, she was put down.
I believe b/c she had 2 broken ankles or broken bones.

Broken bones in the leg are extremely hard to heal in horses as there is really no way to keep the weight off the feet, which needs to be done in order for it to heal.  A horse with a broken bone in the leg is almost always put down.  :(  Even if they aren't, it usually doesn't heal correctly and can cause more problems down the road.

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 07:57:41 pm »
oh that is sooo sad, the poor things. That is so sad....i have seen on tv with animal cops that they put a mare in a sling with a broken leg, and they healed it that way...but perhaps not a broken bone....that is so sad...i didn't know that...  :'(