Author Topic: Drafting with my Sweet pup  (Read 5383 times)

Offline cesaria

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Drafting with my Sweet pup
« on: May 06, 2008, 05:44:14 pm »
Hello Everyone!
I have a beautiful,  amazing little Berner girl named Mirabelle. I discovered this site when I was planning to bring her home last year and I am really happy to be back. On Halloween Mira will be two years old and I am interested in buying her cart for her birthday. Nothing big - she is very petite, between 75 and 80 pounds and quite short. Can anyone help point me in the right direction to purchase carting supplies? Also, is she large enough to explore this hobby?
Thanks everyone!

-Ashley

Ps. Curret Pictures to come soon

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Drafting with my Sweet pup
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:31:39 pm »
Welcome! Where are you located? I just bought a custom made cart for my pyr which is perfect but they don't ship. If you go to my website (click on my profile) you can find great info on how to start.
You can start as early as 18 months without adding weight :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2008, 06:32:16 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline SadieA

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 12:56:09 am »
I don't know anything about carting, but oh my goodness I am excited to see pictures of her!! My Sammy is ten months old, and there aren't too many Berners on this board, so I'm excited to see another pop up!!

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »

To determine whether your Mirabelle is fit for carting, you should obtain orthopedic clearances on her.  Orthopedic soundness is the critical consideration, rather than size.

Size will certainly dictate how much she should pull (up to her own weight), but if she does not clear her hips, elbows, and shoulders, she should not be involved in this endeavor (and will not be allowed to participate in AKC or BMDCA competitions).

At two years of age, you can get OFA clearances done (www.offa.org) or you can have PennHip clearances (http://www.pennhip.org) done now on her hips which is a more accurate, scientific based clearance (the OFA has a panel of three radiologists review and grade and so it is more subjective).  If you do PennHip on her hips, you should still get OFAs done on her elbows for sure since Berners are so highly prone to hip and elbow displaysia.

Good luck!
SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 03:56:40 am »
Great advice from SC Trojans I have not thought about letting Ollie cart, I knew you needed hip and elbow scores to breed or should have them done although I am sure there are the odd few that don't have this done but still breed.
Neither of which Ollie has or will have done as he is neutered. I wish you luck with it all and if you go ahead would love to see some pics.