Author Topic: Need help with brothers dog!!!!!!!!!  (Read 1234 times)

List

Need help with brothers dog!!!!!!!!!
« on: May 10, 2008, 02:48:35 pm »
Ok, so this question is about my brother's jack russel terrier, Murphy. My brother called me upset that his 7 year old jrt has recently (last 2 weeks)started pooping inside the house (and well pooping more in general). He thinks its out of spite,but i really don't think dogs can understand complex emotion ;) Anyways, he's always had separation anxiety. And my brother had taken time off work and is now back to work with different shift hours. As well I'd encouraged him to switch Murphy's food, he'd been eating Pedigree or Kibbles and Bits for the majority of his life and in the past three months had started eating Nature's Variety Prairie (3 months) and now starting Orijen (2 days). He's crated when my brother isn't home, but he's started pooping in his crate, or around the house when he's home (not loose stools either). Does anyone have any ideas on why or solutions?

I was thinking that the schedule change is throwing him for a loop. But why would he be pooping more? Could it be the change in quality of food? Could it be a flush? Or is it his age?

My brother is getting very frusterated and is switching him back to Pedigree. Help!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with brothers dog!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:47:10 pm »
It could have alot to do with your brother going back to work.  His routine has changed.  If he was used to going outside to go to the bathroom at a certain time and now can't do that anymore....... ...that certainly could cause problems.  If he's used to going to the bathroom at a certain time and can't do it at that time anymore it could cause him to go in the house.

It also could have to do with the changing of the food.  Especially if he has soft stool.  Normally if they have a bit of the runs/softer stool they have to go more often.

And since he already has separation anxiety....... .....getting used to your brother being home for awhile, then suddenly he's not there anymore it could be stressing him out enough to have to go to the bathroom more often.

If this problem continues I agree some basic obedience could help.  I also wouldn't give him free rein of the house even when your brother is home.  Keep a long lead on him so he can keep an eye on when he may have to go outside.

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with brothers dog!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 12:21:00 pm »
Hi,

Did he cold turkey switch the food? That would be a problem 7 years of a food and to switch overnight would cause some digestive tract nightmares.

Also is he feeding the same prtion of the new good food, as the old not so good food!! the protien change alone probably is causing the loose stool.

Have him go back to the old food until all is right again and slowly switch to the new food that should help some.
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad