Author Topic: Oh no! The worst thing in the world happened.. HELP  (Read 4282 times)

Offline April and Triton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Oh no! The worst thing in the world happened.. HELP
« on: May 08, 2008, 04:09:15 pm »
I have been looking forward to meeting my boy Saturday, and I just got the following email from the breeder: Well I have some horrible news.  Two of our puppies have Parvo, I took the boy to the vet this morning and when I got home the little girl was throwing up to.  The fawn boy was first and now the small brindle girl.  They must have got it last Saturday when we took them for their temperament evaluation.  We were so careful to spray everything down, I just guess you can't be for sure on this type of thing.  I have the 2 on IV fluids and antibiotics and am starting all of them on some holistic stuff called Parvaid.  I'll attach a link.
http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/parvaid.html
So far your boy does not have it, but I am guessing he will.  If we can start him on the Parvaid before he shows symptoms I think we are way ahead of the game. 
So now that obviously means no puppies are leaving until everyone has a clean bill of health.  Even then you may not want him after having to wait a few weeks.  It is up to you, just wanted to let you know what I do and my concern is of course on the puppies. 
I'll email you when I know more.

What do I do?! If he comes down with parvo I am afraid if I take him home after he recovers he will have health issues his whole life -- I can't afford that! Should I wait for another litter?? This is SO HARD.. please please any advice would be appreciated. This is heart breaking.   :'(

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Oh no! The worst thing in the world happened.. HELP
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 04:13:23 pm »
Oh April, I am so sorry!!  Hopefully, he will be ok.  Keep us updated on him ok.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 04:18:57 pm »
I am so sorry to hear such bad news :(
The breeder sounds very caring and concerned though. I know quite a few people with puppies that had Parvo and they totally recovered and had a nice life after all. Maybe the breeder can give you some kind of "financial assurance credit" if further treatment needed?  :-\
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

lorim2

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2008, 04:28:00 pm »
I am very sorry too. I have never experienced this either but think I would talk to the breeder and see what she can tell you.  Good luck with your decision.

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2008, 04:29:35 pm »
So sorry to hear of your news. That's like waking up Christmas morning to find out it is really December 21st and you have to wait a few more days! I think you should call your vet and ask them about your concerns. I have known quite a few dogs make it through parvo and never have lasting effects. Give them a call... that's why the make the big bucks! :) Good luck and keep us posted!
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Nicole

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »
Parvo does not cause life-long health issues. If he can make it through (which is totally a possibility) he will be fine and also have built up an immunity to it.

We had a Siberian Husky that lived through Parvo and was totally fine.

If they're getting him started on treatment right away, he has really good odds.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2008, 05:16:26 pm »
Puppies recover from parvo much more often than adult dogs. I don't want to say "easier" because it's not - it's a horrible disease and they almost always get very, very sick before they get better. However, when they do get better they are fine and I wouldn't worry about the dog when he recovers.  Poor baby.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2008, 05:30:50 pm »
I'm sorry to hear your breeder's litter has Parvo.

The good news however is that your pup doesn't have it (yet).  The fact that they are treating him proactively is a big plus.  And since it sounds like they caught this early I would give the entire litter good odds of surviving.  And pups that do survive and are caught early live normal lives with absolutely no lasting effects.  It will cause no health problems down the road.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2008, 06:14:38 pm »
My best friend has an american bulldog that got parvo very badly as a puppy.  They took her to the vet and she was on an iv for a while but survived. 

Now she is 5 years old and VERY healthy but I agree with everyone else I would definatly get your vets opinion.  I am SO sorry
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2008, 06:15:38 pm »
I'm so sorry to hear about the pups having Parvo.  I had 2 puppies develop parvo at the same time and they both survived it and lived long and happy lives.  They did wind up in the vet's office for about a week on IV fluids and antibiotics.  We actually caught it before they were ever showing any symptoms except for lethargy.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline April and Triton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2008, 11:33:31 pm »
Thank you all so much for your words of encouragement. I just received word that he is still doing good with no symptoms of the virus. It is just so hard to wait so long, get ALMOST there and have this kind of news.. I will keep you posted. Thanks again, you have no idea how much this helps.

Offline aggghgmom

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 08:09:59 am »
I am so sorry to hear about your puppy - I'm sure I would be beside myself with worry.  I don't know much about Parvo but I know so many people on this board have given you great advise already.

Is the puppy in your avatar the baby you are waiting on - what an absolute doll!!  I really want a mastiff but hubby is fighting me.

We will keep your pup in our thought for a bright, long, and healthy life.

Randy

Offline Love Me Forever

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 09:33:19 am »
Im so sorry for you and for the breeder. Raising puppies takes so much from us that when they get sick, its devestating. I was reading an article from a pap breeder who had parvo and she recommended Tamiflu. She said that it worked great. When I first read the post my concern was the virus sluffing off after the puppies were better. If I remember right the virus remains in the intestinal tract for a period of time. That would be a concern and I would check that out. If that isnt so ...then I say go for it. I have known dogs that have gotten it and lived long happy lives.
Barbara