Author Topic: Dog Allergies-HELP!  (Read 1874 times)

Offline hudsonsmom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Dog Allergies-HELP!
« on: May 09, 2008, 06:11:06 pm »
Hi, Everyone

I'm brand new to the blog, but I have quite a predicament on my hands. I have a wonderful 4 year old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel named Hudson.  He has severe allergies.  His eyes have nasty discharge, they are fire red, he chews his feet, his bottom, his tail, all to the point that they have scabs and missing hair.  I've talked to my vet and she recommended Benadryl which I gave religiously and it really didn't work. So, she had me switch to Chlortrimeton. Not working. Now, I want to switch him to a good allergen free dog food, but I don't know where to begin.  Does anyone have recommendation s?  He's not a terribly picky eater, but I want it to taste good to him.  Thanks for any help you can give.

Lindsay

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: Dog Allergies-HELP!
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 06:48:23 pm »
We have to feed our Akita a corn/wheat free kibble.  If we feed her Kibble with those things in it.  She develops hot spots and a smell, almost like corn chips.
As soon as she is put back on a  restricted diet the smell goes away and the hot spots heal.
Maybe try feeding a grain free or raw diet.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 07:39:59 pm »
you could up to dosage for benedryl...the worst that will happen my vet said is they will get sleepy...and if that is the case ease off a little!  perhaps that could help?   :-\

Offline mastiffmomoftwo

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 08:49:47 pm »
Hi, and welcome.
You will have to find out if your pup is allergic to food, or something in his surroundings.

Since the dog is 4 years old already, has he had any issues in the past?
Are you feeding him a different food?
Which food are you feeding?
Has anything changed in his life when this started?
Are you able to contact the breeder and find out if any other dogs have had issues?

Natural Balance makes 3 flavours of allergenic foods.
Duck & potato
Sweet potato & fish
and Sweet potato & venison.  I have used the fish with success.
They use a single source protein.
He may also have allergies to wheat & corn which is huge in dogs (as mentioned by KiraNGunnersmo m).
They can also develop allergies to certain proteins such as chicken, beef etc.

OR Hudson could be allergic to something in his surroundings.
A friend of mine has a border collie who is allergic to 26 different things, not just food, but certain grasses, tree bark, etc.  She has had great success with the Sweet Potato & fish as well.  My friend also washes her dogs paws everytime she comes in from outside.  This has helped a lot as well.

I would not keep giving the dog drugs if it is not helping him with his allergies. 
You can also get him allergy tested.

Chris
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 08:50:17 pm by mastiffmomoftwo »
Chris

(Beau & Luke's Mom)

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2008, 07:39:05 am »
Everybody has given you some great advice on the allergy situation.  The only thing I can add is if his allergies are really getting to him, you can see if your vet will give a steroid shot to help that might help the Benadryl be more effective.  Shiner has a seasonal contact allergy to a plant around here.  This will be the third year (if it comes back) so we will go to the vet in Sept-Nov and get him a steroid shot to help him get through his allergy.

By the way, welcome to the board.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience