Author Topic: cleaning question?  (Read 4606 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
cleaning question?
« on: May 09, 2008, 08:44:49 am »
How does everyone keep their carpets clean?  I found some great stuff to clean up puppy prints when they come inside but what about the hair? 

I use the arm and hammer powder but didnt know if there is something else that works better.  Just trying to get ready for the little one!!!! ;D
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Re: cleaning question?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 08:50:51 am »
Where do you get the Mule Team Borex and does it work in any carpet cleaner? 

I have the vinegar but does it also take up the pet hair?  I know that you will know this with your bunch of furry babies!! ;D

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 09:26:01 am »
I know that you are probably laughing at me right now but what kind of vacuum do you have?  We have been through 3 vacuums now and are about to go through the 4th.  I dont know what it is?

I dont vacuum everday like once a week and everytime it starts smoking and then wont pick anything up after having it a couple of months to a year.  I am going crazy over it.   >:(
Our vacuum is a Eureka and our carpet cleaner is a Hoover Steam vac. 

I am just trying to make my life easier before Payton gets here! I am tired of being on my hands and knees cleaning.

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 09:42:39 am »
We ALL need Dyson's!
I have had one on my Christmas list for the past 3 years now the range about $600.00 Canadian! Sucks for price but I have witnessed it's power and let me testify! I REALLY want one but....there are so many other things right now that are more important! :)
Also we used the Arm&Hammer bakcing powder pet hair remover and we found it worked pretty well. Is this the same stuff you are talking about?

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 09:51:25 am »
Yea it is the same.  I like it.  It seems to work pretty well but my vacuum is horrible so I dont think it works to its full potential becuase of that.  Yea I have heard about the Dyson are they really that good?

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 11:18:19 am »
do you use the Borax IN the steam cleaner or do you just putit on the stains?  It would be great if I could use it in the cleaner (by the way I just went and bought some hahhah) 
Ver ycheap for the amount that you get.  I was very impressed!

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 03:10:11 pm »
We have a Bissel Proheat as well (not sure which model) and although I've only used it a few times I was greatly impressed with it.  Keiko was having leakage problems towards the end of our stay in Ca and it was very obvious in one area she always layed in.  Cleaned it up great!  No stain, minimal odor (I didn't really care b/c the military was going to clean it again anyway........ ....lol)

I am saving up for a Dyson Animal.  Runs around $500 so they're not cheap but from what I've heard, they are well worth the price.  Plus I've been wanting a bagless forever I hate stupid bags!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 03:25:11 pm »
OMG, I feel your pain with having to buy new vaccums so often.  We are on our 4th one is 3 years and im ready to trash this one too!
My carpet steamer however I have had for about 4 years and that poor thing has been through heck and still works amazing. It's a hoover and that's about all I know!
Im going to have to try the borax in the carpet cleaner, ive used it in the wash  but never thought to use it on the carpet and believe me, the carpets need some SERIOUS cleaning right now!!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 03:40:14 pm »
Yea let me know how the borax works because we are going out of town this weekend and I am going to try it when we get back. 

We are also going to take our Eureka vacuum back and try to get a Bissell lift off pet vac.  Hopefully in a couple of years we can get a Dyson because lord knows I want one!!

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 03:51:08 pm »
Realy I will have to do that.   We have Carpenter bees that are trying to nest on the sides of our house.  They have ruined a tree next door.  It looks like someone has taken a nail and driven them all through it. 

You just spray it on there nest?

Offline ShaggysMom

• Gnawer
  • Summer by the pool!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 05:09:08 pm »

We are also going to take our Eureka vacuum back and try to get a Bissell lift off pet vac. Hopefully in a couple of years we can get a Dyson because lord knows I want one!!

Don't buy the Bissel Pet Hair Eraser!  We bought it - it worked great for about 3 months and then the brush bar stopped spinning, the height adjustment stopped and it smelled like something was burning. Checked the belt and it was fine. Took it in to have it looked at and the vacuum repair guy said "Do you hear that whine? The motor is going."  He said that he has seen quite a few with the same problems.  Sure enough, the motor is getting louder and louder. (We only use it with the hose since the brush doesn't work anymore.) Just my experience!
Mom to 1 giant and 2 large.

Offline Rajas Mom

• Full Fledged Chewer
  • Feeling a little cramped in the car (by choice)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 09:15:18 pm »
For the burning smell from the vacuum... Have you checked your belt?  We have had our vacuum for going on 8 years (the last three it hasn't gotten a lot of use as we have hardwood and tile, so just area rugs).  I thought it was a goner once (stopped picking things up, burning smell, etc.).  $3.00 and one belt later, it was working like brand new again.

http://www.alsvacuum.com/tips.htm

My biggest problem currently is finding a decent floor cleaner that doesn't harm hardwood floors and doesn't cost a fortune.  Our oldest dog became rather stubborn when Bo was introduced to our home, so piddles are now part of my daily routine.  She is also going blind and deaf, so retraining is rather hard.  Of course, it could be worse!  At least it's the 14 pound dog doing it, not the bigger ones!
Raja (Our Princess), 3 yr St. Benard
Charlie (Our Calico Cat), 3 yr
Bocephus (Wild & Crazy Lab), RIP
Shadow (Secretly a Cat Schipperke Mix), RIP

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 09:21:07 pm »
i have the bissell pet hair eraser too, and it worked absolutely wonderful for i would also say three months...then it smells like something died in it, no matter how much we clean it, plus it doesn't pick up the fur like it use to...

Offline April and Triton

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 11:50:38 pm »
Just wanted to chime in on the vaccuum issue -- I have a Dyson Animal, if you can afford it it is sooo worth the money. We have had this one for over a year and the beauty is it cannot be clogged and lose suction.. also comes with an awesome warranty (don't remember off the top of my head what it was).And no filters to buy. Anyhow, best investment we ever made!

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2008, 07:28:26 am »
At one point when I had carpet I used the Red Devil vacuum and the Bissell Little Green Machine cleaner.  Both worked really well on pet hair and on the stains.  Now I have tile and I think I'm going to look into the Hoover Floormate that Tina just suggested.  I really want a Dyson just so I can vacuum all the pet hair that seems to collect on the ceiling fans.  How it gets up there I'll never know.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience