Author Topic: New to Koms  (Read 23107 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
New to Koms
« on: May 12, 2008, 11:00:53 am »

Hello All

I am a new kom owner. I adopted a black lab/kom from a local shelter. She looks just like a kom but she is black with white toes and a mask. Her roots are coming in white though, so she may change. She was 8 week when I adopted her and she is now 5 months old and over 60 lbs and growing astronically. Her coat is like "cotton" and naturally seperates, but I an not interested in letting it cord (too much maint). I have gotten conflicting advice on grooming for the summer. If anyone has any useful tips let me know. Here is her pict. Her name is TinkerBear, or TINK for short.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
Re: New to Koms
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 11:08:50 am »
Oh my gosh. She is sooooo flippin' cute. Seriously, I can't get over it! Unfortunately I know nothing about Koms, except that they are gorgeous! I agree it would be alot of work to have it cord. Hopefully someone else will be able to help you better.

Once again, Welcome to BPO.
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:18:34 am »
She is the BEST! But an independent thinker. Training has been a challenge but she will graduate basic obedience next week. Here is a picture of her the day I brought her home at 8 weeks. She was 23 lbs. She didn't stay a puppy (in size) very long. She has been through three collars already and I got her in Feb. She gains about 5-8lbs per week and only eats about 4 cups a day. I don't know how she does it even the vet is amazed at her growth so far. I am wondering if this is typical for Koms? She still hasn't grown into those feet yet!
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline LibbyP

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:51 am »
HAHAHA The first thing I thought is WOW she has some really big feet!! Welcome to you and 'Tink' just to warn you this forum becomes quite addictive ~ there are tons of awesome members that are always around to offer suggestions and hints if needed. I look foward to seeing more pics and learning more about Koms. I'm Kim ~ mama to slinger master miss Libby and little spit fire Storm.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2008, 11:57:51 am by LibbyP »
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. ~ Will Rogers

mama to ~Libby 6.5yr E.Mastiff
         Stormy 2yr Boston Terrier
         RIP my sweet 'old man' Hoover (1993-2007)

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 11:47:37 am »
OMG She is so cute!  She is gonna be a big girl.  Sorry I dont know anything either about Koms other than they are sooooo cool!  But welcome and cant wait for more pics!  I am Lori, mom to many and so glad your here!

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 03:01:28 pm »

According to the shelter the person who dropped off the "whole litter" claimed that she had a full blooded female black lab and the father was a full blooded komondor. It was an "accidental litter". There were two pups that kinda had the lab head and face, the other three looked like the koms. I have tried to research the breed and the picts I have seen, she has resembled the koms through her puppihood and the vet thinks she is decended from one also. It is had to tell from the photos, but her coat is as like "cotton", doesn't shed (thank God), and naturally seperates. Her bite is kom too, according to Dr. Joe. Here is a pict of a "non-corded" kom I found on the internet. She is starting to look just like him.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline nkp

• Ankle Biter
  • This is Mr. Cuddle Buttons Pic
    • View Profile
    • Handmade Pottery and Pottery  Beads
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2008, 03:08:33 pm »
Whoa ... that's a big puppy! SO CUTE!
Natalie

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 06:13:18 pm »
She is adorable! 
She reminds me of a black old english sheepdog.

I mentioned on your other thread that a friend's friend has a kom and she keeps him cut in a puppy poodle cut for ease of grooming.

If you want to have her clipped, it will probably change the texture of the coat but there is nothing wrong with keeping it from cording.  Just don't cut it so short there is chance of sunburn.  Leave it long enough to protect her from the elements, be it sun, heat or rain.

Would love to see how she grows and develops.  :)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 07:04:05 pm »
sorry, have to add to the "i don't know, but cool!!" messages. That is such a beautiful dog! I bet you get stopped all the time to answer questions like what kind of dog she is and to be told "she's going to get biiiig" comments  :P
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2008, 06:15:54 am »

Thanks for all the warm welcomes! I do get a lot of questions about her but I have started just telling everyone she is my pound puppy sheep dog mix, because most people don't know what a komondor is. My research has found that they are actually pretty rare around here. As for her temperment it is definately Lab all the way. Endless energy, constant need for attention and she could fetch all day. The only thing I don't get is that we opened our pool two weeks ago (still too cold to swim) but she hasn't given it a second look. This kinda fails her in the Lab category. My husband and I will introduce her to it when it gets a little warmer and we can get in with her. She is not protective of her toys or her food, but I too am a little concerned with her taking on the "protective" traits of the kom. We handle her constantly when she is eating and we have people over regularly, especially kids and we try to take her out to a park or someone else's house once a week. Other than wanting to jump up on everyone (which we are tediously trying to cure) she is just a big baby.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)