Author Topic: my neighbours dog....  (Read 6601 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
my neighbours dog....
« on: August 05, 2005, 06:53:45 am »
...is a Rottweiler who I'm guessing has not been trained or socialized. I was walking Angus last night when the rotti was across the street and had to be held back by his/her owner, the choke chain didn't even seem to phase him. After the rotti was gone in my other neighbour came out to tell me that just 2 nights ago the rotti jumped his backyard fence and attached a dog walking up the road, then 2 cars pulled in and started blowing horns etc... until the owner came out to get his dog. Very disturbing stuff, I don't think I'll walk past that house very often.

GYPSY JAZMINE

Re: my neighbours dog....
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 06:58:22 am »
I would avoid that house too!...I worry about Samson when we are out walking because soem people will be out in their yards with their dogs running loose...So far no problems but I still worry about what I would do if one went after Sammy.

Offline Saintgirl

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:07:03 am »
I hope that the other dog that was attacked was ok. I would definatley stay away from that house too.
Leah, Hutch, and Abbey

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 07:46:23 am »
I think the other dog was okay as people acted fast, but no one got a chance to check. He was a "free roaming dog" so there was no owner with him. When I think about it there is about 7 or 8 dogs just roaming my neighbourhood, some big but mostly small dogs.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 09:02:08 am »
My Rott (the big one, Lady) needs to be held when the neighbors catch her attention.  The choke chain doesn't bother her...but I force her to sit or sumit when she barks.   I don't want her to bark at the neighbors or insist on barking and lunging at people walking by or in their yards next door.   Usually I grab her by the scuff of the neck and push her into a sit or lay down position so that she is not only submissive to me but to the people walking by.   
She is never outside alone (so I'm a responsible Rottie owner).  And she's never attacked anyone or another dog.  In fact she's been ambushed by a little mean dog before.   She is also never in anyone else's yard. 

She's protective of her yard and people (rottie nature), first of all.  Second, she's really only saying hello.  I know this because I know her.  But I can see where people would be intimidated walking by.  it's something we work on and she's getting better at.  It doesn't help that she hates one of our neighbors cuz their dog runs all over the street and peeks in at her at 2am through the basement slider.  That is a battle that may never be over. 

I hope you don't get a bad impression of all Rotts and Rottie people because of one bad apple on the tree.  We're not all bad...most of us know that owning a Rott is something of a moutain to climb and beating the Rott stereotype is really tough.   Most of the people we live near love our dogs and our dogs love them...and have learned that Rotts aren't all bad. 
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 09:05:11 am by lins_saving_grace »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 09:21:21 am »
I love Rottweilers. I love their big heads and noses, but a few years ago I would walk every morning with a neighbor and we'd take Oasis. One house we passed had 2 big rotties in the back yard with a very short fence. I was always paranoid that they would jump the fence when they saw Oasis so we would cross over to the other side of the street if we saw them outside.

One day we were walking outside and saw one of the dogs out of the fence in front of the garage so we started crossing to the other side of the street. The dog barrelled down the driveway and attached herself to Oasis' side, pushed him over and sat their growling with Oasis in her mouth while he yelped and I screamed and started bawling. 

The owner of the dog heard the commotion and ran down to pull his dog off Oasis. I was having a nervous break down in the middle of the street while my neighbor was cursing and screaming at the dog owner for leaving his "vicious" dog unattended.

Well, I looked all over Oasis and she did not break the skin at all! It turns out she had just had puppies and the puppies were in the garage. She was just trying to push Oasis away in case he was a threat and scare him enough not to mess with them, I guess (which is funny 'cause Oasis even makes friends with his fleas!). I could have sworn by the way she was growling and shaking her head that she was ripping a big old hole in my dog's side, though. So, I have to give her credit for a great deal of restraint, but it scared the POOP out of me!

Anyway, the owner was very apologetic and we all left there with no bad feelings, aside from some very shaky nerves!!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 11:56:29 am »
Poor you and Angus...please don't go by that house either. Find an alternate route and in the meantime hopefully that owner will get his dog under control.
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 12:00:30 pm »
I bet it did scare the poop outta you.  I get that too when I'm walking Lady and Grace...I hear "I wouldn't mess with you". 
They're terrible sweet friendly dogs...but "they're Rotts!"

GR8DAME

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2005, 12:25:07 pm »
Face it guys, they are dogs. It is in their nature to guard and protect their pack, even if they are poodles. Couple that with the size of our babies, and you have the potential for a serious problem. Anyone that ever askes me "Do your dogs bite?" gets the same reply. My dogs have never bitten anyone, but they have teeth, therefor they can bite. No garantees. And my answer would be the same if I loved miniature poodles.

I would also change my walking route, or start carrying pepper spray. It's the fault of the irresponsible owner that allows the undisciplined, unsocialized dog free to run (and or ruin) the nieghborhood, no matter what breed the dog is,and I would avoid the area. I would also be very concerned if I had children in the area.
That being said, I'd also like to commend all of the rottie and BP owners that do take the time and effort to train and work with their BPs to make them good nieghbors.
Stella

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2005, 12:28:40 pm »
I agree!  I hate people who can't or don't control or supervise their really big dogs.   

Offline Jessdryden

• Supreme Drooler
  • My girls
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2005, 12:52:02 pm »
There are several people in our neighborhood that let their dogs "out" in the morning.  It makes me so mad!  We try to go for a nice walk just to be hassled by these completely unattended dogs.  We haven't had a really bad experience yet, but we have been barked and growled at, followed home, and jumped on.  I wish that people would be more responsible with their pets!

Sorry for the rant.  I hope Angus didn't get too scared last night!   :)
Jessica

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 05:12:27 pm »
No hard feelings or ill will towards rotties here. To tell the truth I'm the only dog lover I know that is scared to death of dogs!!!! I like just about every dog out there I just can't handle them running free up and down the road tearing up garbage bags etc..., I avoid them like the plague. I get along great with dogs I know and have friends who have had rotties as far back as I can remember, and I grew up with 15 dogs in the house, 13 Pekingese and 2 GSDs.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2005, 06:56:52 pm »
You know, when we first brought Brycie home, we had a terrible terrible event happen.

It was with a Viszla.  In fact a Viszla my friend had bred.
The Viszla, was allowed free roam of a dock area.  So, this area became her territory.  Upon a growl, people would run off.  This encouraged her behavior. 

Brycie was only 13 weeks old.  Next thing I know that Viszla curled her lip and went full force at Bryce, so I swooped him up and turned my back to the dog to protect Bryce.  I got it on the back of the leg and and close to my arse.

I not only told the owners...I let the breeder know.  It was not the breed of the dog, it was the lack of responsibility with the owners.  Let a dog like this make its own rules, and you will have a dog that is far too territorial. 

Stay away from that area.  Unfortunately, unless the owners decide to provide some sort of boundaries and training...the rottie (no matter what type of dog it is big or small) will continue it's aggressiveness and it may worsen.
The bad thing is the effect it can have on your Newfie.  While you are training your Newfie to behave and to be socialized...i t's rather hard to do so if he/she feels threatened themselves!! 

Bryce at 13 weeks let out a major snarl growl I didn't think he was capable of at that age.  Even though I had him covered he knew danger.  So for a couple of weeks after that one incident, he was dog shy and I had to get him near other dogs everyday to let him know it was okay.

Luvmenewfs

Offline afrostegirl

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 08:51:00 pm »
I had an encounter several years ago when I was walking with my beagle.  A rottie attacker her.  She had several stitches in the neck.  I was freakin' and screaming.  Now our town seems to be overrun by Boxers.  There's a breeder in town I think. I can name about 5 houses in our small town that have boxers, two that are often out loose in their yard.   Last Monday I was running, dogless, and two boxers came out into the road towards me.  At first I was like, "Oh they'll stop."  Then I realized they were on a dead run and looking pretty feirce.  When they got quite close I let out a pretty good scream and they stopped and just barked and watched me walk past.  I was pretty scared.  I made hubby run with me tonight, so they'd bite him first!  I'm thinking about calling Aminal Control.  Also about getting some pepper spray.  I was wondering if anyone knew legally when it's okay to use something like pepper spray on someone's dog.  I'm afraid I spray a dog and then some owner would try to send me a vet bill.  I mean do I actually have to let it bite me or my dog before I can "use force".  Or as long as the dog is outside it's yard and I feel in danger, then can I?  I need to decide which type of big dog to adopt, since my Copper is getter too old to run, so at least I have some "intimidation" on my side when I'm out and about.

Offline Svnt4God

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
    • Visit my Website
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 09:27:11 pm »
Did you contact your local Animal Control and report the incident?  If not, you might want to do that.  Plus suggest to your other neighbor to do the same about the scene that he witnessed.