Author Topic: my neighbours dog....  (Read 6603 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: my neighbours dog....
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 03:18:30 am »
I haven't seen the dog outside of the house lately and someone I know knows the dog owner and passed along the message to him that we have puppy and 3 children and do not feel very safe if his dog can get out of the backyard. Hopefully he'll ensure it won't happen again.

Offline TwoNewfies

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 05:28:58 am »
I would echo the thoughts that others have already mentioned.  I would avoid walking in the area as well. 
Recently, Mike and I took Rocco and Bella for a walk in our development, which is new. So many new people are moving in and the vast majority own dogs.  We were walking and were about to pass a home and I saw a dog, tied out front, not far from the sidewalk.  I think it was Springer or Brittany Spaniel.  As soon as the dog saw our gang he went nuts. We started to walk on the street to put more distance between us and the dog.  This dog was snarling and was foaming at the mouth!!  I have not seen that in years!!!  He was trying to pull free of his chain and my gang looked at him like, "Oh no! What's your problem?"  What irritated me was the owners were on their front porch, saw this happening and said absolultey nothing to this dog.  I'm positive that if the dog got loose he would have attacked my dogs and maybe us.  that dog freaked me out and that doesnt happen too often.  Consequently, we avoid walking in that part of the development.  I see the owners walking the dog in the neighborhod, and they pass on our sidewalk. I keep a very close eye on that dog and am at the point where if my dogs are outside I will say something to this owner.  This dog is scary, not only to other dogs but children as well....The owner falls into the irresponsible dog owner club. >:(

Gina

All dogs are pets.  Newfoundlands are family!

GR8DAME

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 07:24:47 am »
afrostegirl-- Pepper spray may be legal in your state, mace is probably not. If you are apprehensive about legalities, try 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water in a spray bottle that has a powerful stream. Aim between the eyes or at the head in general, it is very unpleasant if it gets in or on mucus membranes like eyes or nose. It is not as effective as pepper spray but will deter the casual canine intimidater, and is neither illegal or harmful in any lasting way to the animal. If a dog is determined to take you on, there isn't a whole lot that will stop them, including another dog. The only way your dog could stop an attack is to engage the other dog, which your beagle obviously did. In our area there is a leash law, so if my dogs are on a leash and they or I am attacked by a loose dog, the owners are technically liable. Proving it is something else. I also would not hesitate to call animal control or the local police if this occurs again.
Stella