Author Topic: Bad Dog Food???  (Read 3077 times)

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Bad Dog Food???
« on: May 13, 2008, 01:40:07 pm »
Tink threw up twice yesterday. Once shortly after I got home and she began her second feeding and again in the middle of the night. It looked like regular dog food. I have fed her IAMS Smart Puppy Large Breed since I got her but I just bought a new bag two days ago. Do you think it could be a bad bag? I normally wouldn't suspect, but Brittany (I girl I work with) feeds it to her lab and he is 1 yr old and the last bag she bought he refused to eat. They had to take him to the vet because he wasn't eating at all. The vet told her to buy another bag and she did and he eats it now. She sent a sample to IAMS and they never responded one way or the other, but she got a coupon for a free bag. She has since switched brands. Anyone else had trouble?
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
Re: Bad Dog Food???
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 01:52:57 pm »
with large and giant breed dogs i would never feed them puppy food.  They grow way to fast and can be too rich for the dogs stomaches.  There is a whole list of wonderful dog foods that is put out by whole dog journal.  Iams is an ok brand, although i would not feed it to my dogs. Although it is a hot topic, so i won't even go there. But i would switch to an aadult food!!!

Offline Mojo1269

• Big Paw Certified
  • The Men
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 05:42:29 pm »
To answer your question, yes I have had the a bag of food the dogs would not eat.  Odd's are you would never get a company to fess up to an issue but all kinds of things can enter the food supply lane that could taint the food.  Oftern time it is unnoticable, other times you get what happend last year. 

The food thing is always a lively debate with some saying you shouldn't feed puppy food and other daying you should.  At the end of the day its a personal decision.  I feed puppy food but that advice and 50 cents will get you a newspaper. ;D.  Do your own research and see what makes sense. 
Duke 5 Year Old Menacing Hound
Butler 1 Year Old Burgeoning Monster

VooDoo the Greatest Dane. 09-14-1995 - 12-31-2007 RIP my sweet

Offline kealoha812

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • "Life is short, Buy the shoes!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »
just out of curiosity... what are the 2 brands that you suggest for giants?
"A righteous man regardeth the life of his animals" Proverbs 12:10
Meli - Golden retriever
Timber - newfie/border collie X
2 skin kids - ages 5 & 8
2 cats - Maui and Maea (who own us all)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 07:10:58 pm »
just out of curiosity... what are the 2 brands that you suggest for giants?

Eagle Pack Holistic Select Giant Puppy food is also a low protein, low fat kibble. This is what I feed, and couldn't be happier with how Lucca is doing on it. I just wanted to feed him good food, and not feel like he was missing something in his puppy days...
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline Love Me Forever

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 11:00:31 pm »
I wasnt going to comment on the food other than to say that if the dog wont eat it, take it back because they can smell what we cant but I just had to share my personal experience with the protein debate. I dont feed puppy for btw. Personally I think its a waste of money) I raised a litter of German Shepherd pups on all raw diet. Super high protein very little grains and veggies. The pups grew at half the rate of the previous litter that were fed bagged food. I was beginning to think that I had bred a litter of dwarfs. I kept some of the puppies until they were 6 months old (1 I kept until 2) The puppies still did not really start to grow and fill out until I changed the food over to bagged so I could  place them easier. I personally think that its all the hormones in the bagged food that makes puppies grow too fast not the protein. I remember reading one article on feeding pups adult food and although I still dont feed puppy food I do remember what it said. And that was..... when we feed adult food to pupppies and we feed more than suggested, puppies are getting probably the same amount of protein as they would on a higher fatty puppy food. I thought about this and thought is was pretty true.
I have been researching canine nutrition since 98 and after raising that litter on raw, I personally think the protein debate isnt quite as we were originally told. I would like to know if there are other BPO's that feed raw and have gotten the same results on litters that I did.
Barbara

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 06:11:14 am »
I called the vet last night and he agreed to throw the bag out. He told me to cook and feed her chicken and rice for a few days until she got over the stomach problems. He also had me bring a stool sample. She has round worm. He was surprised because this is an intestinal worm puppies get from their mothers. Her stool has been tested three times since I had her and it never showed up. He doesn't know if this is something she could have gotten from the food, but is also not something that should just be showing up now. He also doesn't think it accounts for her throwing up. I guess we will never know. She acted fine last night, so hopefully we nipped it in the bud. I go on vacation next week to Seattle and I am afraid of leaving her now.

So, what type of puppy food do you all use. I defineatly won't buy the IAMS again. Who can you trust?

Anyone tried Canidae?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 07:01:23 am by TINKSMOM »
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 07:37:15 am »
We have Canidae all life stages for the pups. I switched from Solid Gold wolfcub because the boys weren't doing well on it. Their poop was always extremely soft to runny. Eventually here, in the near future, we are switching them to an all raw diet.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 10:36:44 am »
Thanks for all the info. The vet is squeezing her in on Friday and I bought her a small bag of Canidae on my lunch break. We will see how she likes it before I buy a large bag. The whole dog journal dog food list posted here was really helpful.

Thanks to all. I will keep you posted on her condition.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 06:54:29 am »
You can also check www.dogfoodana lysis.com. It's very helpful for figuring out what foods you want to feed.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven