Author Topic: It's mine all mine!!...That's mine too! & that & that!!!  (Read 4827 times)

GYPSY JAZMINE

It's mine all mine!!...That's mine too! & that & that!!!
« on: August 05, 2005, 06:55:45 am »
Whhhheeeeewwww ww boy!...Pippin has decided that ALL toys, chews, etc. are his & his alone!...Last night he was snarling & snarfing at Samson & my uncle's old dog who I am sitting for when they had something he desired which was anything they had!...& if they even looked at him while he was nawing away he would become very defensive...We'll have to nip this in the bud immediatly...T wice last night he lunged at Samson's face...I would imagine Jackie's dogs put him in his place right away if he acted like this...Samson was the picked on pup in his litter & he is just so layed back anyway...Any suggestions folks?

Offline Carolyn

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: It's mine all mine!!...That's mine too! & that & that!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 07:03:16 am »
Sounds like Apache, but he doesn't get agressive, he'll sit in front of Kiya & bark & cry. With food, if he doesn't want it he'll guard it "I don't want it but you cant have it" I might see a snarled lip with food. Toys I let them work it out, one or the other looses intrest eventually. Good luck.
Carolyn
Carolyn

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 07:08:52 am »
Dixie will get a little moody with Sugar Bear at times.  They have gotten to a few play fights that turned to rough for me.  The last time I did not stop it as soon as it started. It took all of two min. but it was a long two min.  Sugar Bear put her on the floor for just a little while until she looked away. They were best buds just as soon as it was over.  It was really hard for me to watch them play fight at first because Sugar Bear is such a baby and Dixie was only 3 months.  Now I have fun watching them and will be the cheerleader. "Run Dixie Run" Run Sugar Bear Run" .  The most fun is to watch them play fight with the water in the lake. 

As far as the treats if they get into it over one Mommy get it.  I make sure to take something out of there  mouth at least once a day. I will keep it for a bit and then give it back.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

Offline PupDaddy

• Paw-meister
  • Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2005, 07:12:46 am »
You are going to have to start training him now, and redirect his energy.  I'll inculde a link to a document call Alpha Boot Camp. It a great guide to making sure you are the Alpha, not the dog.

http://www.geocities.com/tinytimfund/AlphaBootCamp.html

LOL, But after that, just deal with it.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2005, 07:49:04 am by wlemons »

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 07:53:45 am »
What I want to know is: WHERE ARE THE PIPPIN PICTURES????
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2005, 10:19:09 am »
Just a note to remind you Chelle.  Pippin and Samson are going to take a while to work out who's in charge and who is the submissive.  Let them do most of it even if it is painful for you.  It may even mean a few superficail skin breaks before it is over.  You know from seeing Warrior what his genes are so hang in there, be patient, and just use your common sense.  You dont give yourself enough credit in that area.

Also remember that the worst of it will be avoided by having him neutered.  I know that is not far off but in the mean time remember he still has the testrosterone thing going.  Also, Todd said to tell you, that Pippin absolutely hates to be rolled, so roll him when it is bad and tell him NO like you meant it.  An BE PATIENT.  You have to give them some time.

Jackie (grinning)
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux

Offline DixieSugarBear

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2005, 10:36:08 am »
I bet you will find that just like with Dixie (7 months) and Sugar Bear (13 months) that Pippin may end up being the boss.  I am almost sure that when it all works out that Dixie will be alpha over Sugar Bear.  I have found that after they have had a little tiff I put them both in a down and over on their sides with me in the middle petting them  it calms everything down.  Just to let you know I call Dixie Darlin my wild child, she is into everything and is not afraid of anything.   I worry that she is going to get into something over her head.  At puppy class some of the dog want to jump at Sugar Bear, I guess because he is the largest one.  Anyway Dixie will jump in front of him.   Only she gets to beat up her brother.  hehehe It is a good thing I know how much she loves him.  When she wakes up from a nap the first thing she does is find Sugar Bear and give him a face lick.

Lisa
Lisa, owned by the following:
Sugar Bear - Great Pyrenees 4.5 yr.
Dixie Darlin - Great Pyrenees 4 yr.
Penny Lane - Great Pyrenees 2.5 yr.
Beauman - Great Pyrenees 14 months
Izzy - Great Pyrenees 14 month
Rosie - Great Pyrenees (at the bridge)

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2005, 03:46:38 pm »
Thanks guys!...I'm o.k. now & so are the boys. :) They have no problem sharing food though thank goodness!...I have also found just now that if I keep stuffing their mouths with treats they forget to snarf at each other...lol!

Offline Rocky's 'Rents

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 07:33:37 pm »
Gyps,
Rocky and our Cairn Terrier have "had at it" a few times.  Believe it or not, Rocky was the more timid one and Max would take his things alot. Just lately has Rocky gone back at Max a few times. He still respects Max's place as the Patriarch as he will lay and watch Max eat before going to his own bowl, but he is letting Max know that he can't take his toys and bones all the time. I get upset because I'm afraid Max will get hurt but it is usually Rocky that yelps and paws his nose after the snarling and snapping ends!!

nickerbokker

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 08:44:55 pm »
gyp....is that angus you are talking about?  he is the same way....if cody has a toy, angus will walk over to him, take the toy out of his mouth and walk away.  if cody shows any resistance, he will growl.  SO...i go over, growl at him, grab the toy, and give it to cody.  might not be the best way, but when i get annoyed i dont care lol.

Offline greek4

• Majestic Member
  • Kole with Maia, Baxter, Rocco, and Cody
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 07:26:33 am »
Maia also has a mine complex but Rocco does stand up for himself and nails her if she gets too mean to him.  She is slowly getting better.  When she starts growling at him or starts to take something he has I say NO really loud to get her attention and startle her, then I distract her.  Just don't let him protect from you or the kids.

Maia protects toys from kids and it is a little scary.  So, Maia can't have toys and kids at the same time.
Thanks,

Emily and 1 husband, 1 boy, 1 on the way, and 4 crazy dogs

GYPSY JAZMINE

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 08:10:57 am »
No problems with the kids or me & Pippin at all...We started right away taking his food dish up when he was eating or taking food from it as he eats...Can also take a toy or treat from him & he just sits & waits until we give it back...I am so glad I don't have that problem...Last night Pippin & my uncle's old dog got in a fight...I seperated them (thanks Jackie)...lol...& about 30 seconds later I watched Pippin instigate it again...Ms. Sadie is an old girl & has been here since last Thursday...She's used to being the only dog but she has been amazingly tolerant with my boys...I took her home last night so she could spend an night with peace & quiet but then it stormed & I went back to get her because I didn't know how she did with storms...No problems after she got back though but I kept a close eye on my trouble making puppy!...lol!

Offline tanimara

• Big Paw Certified
  • Tanimara's Spirit Warrior "Warrior"
    • View Profile
    • Tanimara Great Pyrenees
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 10:18:24 am »
No comment...lol

Jackie
Jackie Wood
Owner/Breeder Tanimara Great Pyrenees

"A people without a history is like wind on the buffalo grass"
Crazy Horse - Oglala Sioux