Author Topic: Cooper's Traumatizing Petco Visit  (Read 11889 times)

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Cooper's Traumatizing Petco Visit
« on: May 18, 2008, 05:48:35 pm »
Yesterday we took an hour drive and brought Cooper to play with our friend's Lab.  While in the area, we decided to first stop at Petco and pick up some food and a toy for Cooper.  Now, Cooper has never been in a store before, so I already knew the automatic doors were going to be an adventure.  To my surprise, he flew right through the doors without a care.  However, as soon as all four paws were on the tile floor he pretty much went spread eagle and flopped down.  Our poor Berner couldn't even stand up without sliding around like he was on ice.  I felt horrible.  Right away I figured it was probably the fur in between his pads (we have never trimmed it, because it has never bothered him).  So, Cooper (shaking and very timid) and I sat down on the floor of the entrance of Petco while my husband went to grab the food and toy.   Eventually Cooper got up enough courage and skated back over to the front door (we had attempted to pick him up, but he is now way too heavy for me to lift at 70lbs).  As soon as we were back outside, he was back to happy go lucky pup, running around, visiting people and dogs.   

As soon as we got to our friend's house we went inside (Cooper had never been in the house before)...we made it to the entry rug, but Cooper wouldn't budge, right off the mat was their kitchen laminate flooring that was flat and shiny.  He was scared to death of that floor.  After treat after treat and 3 big pushes, he finally made it onto the floor and was fine walking then.  But now I have a pup that is petrified of smooth tile flooring. 

We start obedience classes this Tuesday....I hope they can help me with his tile floor fear (and let's hope they don't have tile floor there!) ;)
Kaitlen

Cooper ~ 1 year old Bernese Mountain Dog
Coda (aka ruler of the household) ~ 5 year old, chubby grumpy, male cat
Ava (sister to the ruler) ~ 5 year old petite angel, female cat

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Cooper's Traumatizing Petco Visit
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 06:06:42 pm »
Oh, poor Cooper (I'm trying not to laugh at the image). I saw an episode of the Dog Whisperer once where he treated a Great Dane who had the same fear. Just don't let your anxiety about his reaction predetermine his reaction. Walk through those doors with confidence and it should transfer to him - even if you have to go in and out several times before he takes more than 2 steps inside.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline BandRsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Its the Dogs Life
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 07:32:57 pm »
Awwe, the poor baby!  You should have directed him to the treat bar... I bet he would have instantly figured out how to walk.. lol ;)

There's always next time.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 07:38:34 pm »
Cinder did pretty much the same thing when we got her and took her to Petsmart.  She was raised on a horse farm so had never been in a store, on leash, or on tile.  It was an interesting trip but lots of praise and treats and she was good with everything.  The automatic doors really spooked her though.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 04:49:18 pm »
Phew....I thought Cooper was a one and only with this situation.  Next time I will definitely remember to keep his favorite treats on me when we go anywhere with tile flooring!  Thanks everyone! ;D 
Kaitlen

Offline seaherons

• Big Paw Certified
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 01:39:03 pm »
Cooper has really grown up.  Trimming the hair between the toes does help.  We have to trim Cirra's.  Hopefully introducing tile floors slowly in the future with lots of positive reinforcement will help Cooper's fear.  Good luck with the class!!!

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 05:37:47 am »
Last night was Cooper's first obedience class...I was worried that he was going to be the "class clown" and not pay attention to anything (he gets distracted very easily).  However he did incredibily well and even walked up the ramp on the first try!  The only down fall was getting him in the building (it took a lot of treats and big pushes).  The teacher told me the exact thing everyone on here did as well about the tile floors.  Another Petco trip might be inthe near future...this time I will bringhis Kong with peanut butter or a frosty paw (he never turns down those!)   :D
Kaitlen

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 04:15:14 am »
He will in time get over it. Ollie has laminate flooring all the way through our house downstairs and trimming the fur between his paws helps him a lot, I know when they need doing as he walks more warily on the flooring.
I do Ollies with the baby scissors they are rounded on the ends as he has sensitive paws and that way I don;t fear I am going to nick the pads, also brush the fur forwards it really helps also lots of tripe sticks.
Good luck with the classes they get easily distracted don't they ? :)

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 06:22:34 am »
Yes, all the dogs seem to get distracted VERY easily!  Tonight is all about teaching them to behave when someone comes to the house and knocks on the door...let just say, Cooper will be doing a lot of barking tonight.  :P

I haven't attempted going into Petco again recently.  I think I will put it off until he is done with his classes and then see how everything goes. 

Ollie is a beautiful berner.  How big is he?  I love your picture of him at the beach! ;D 
Kaitlen

Offline Olliesmum

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 01:35:24 am »
Yes, all the dogs seem to get distracted VERY easily!  Tonight is all about teaching them to behave when someone comes to the house and knocks on the door...let just say, Cooper will be doing a lot of barking tonight.  :P

I haven't attempted going into Petco again recently.  I think I will put it off until he is done with his classes and then see how everything goes. 

Ollie is a beautiful berner.  How big is he?  I love your picture of him at the beach! ;D 

Thankyou Ollie is 29 inches tall and his weight fluctuates between 60-62 kg.
His Dad is a large dog also. He will be 2 this month.
Cooper is also lovely but I am so biased towards Berners I love all dogs but they just do something to me.

Offline Berner_Mom

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • My fur-kid, Tucker, at 16 months.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 02:42:07 pm »
Last night was Cooper's first obedience class...I was worried that he was going to be the "class clown" and not pay attention to anything (he gets distracted very easily).  However he did incredibily well and even walked up the ramp on the first try!  The only down fall was getting him in the building (it took a lot of treats and big pushes).  The teacher told me the exact thing everyone on here did as well about the tile floors.  Another Petco trip might be inthe near future...this time I will bringhis Kong with peanut butter or a frosty paw (he never turns down those!)   :D

Had to ask- what is a "frosty paw"?  I have never heard of such a treat/toy before, sounds interesting.  My Tucker is 5 months, and had the exact same thing happen to him at Petsmart the first time we brought him.  We also have hard wood flooring through pretty much our whole house, so he's been slipping and sliding since day one.  Trimming the fur on his pads is a great idea, and also continue the trips to PetCo.  We've taken Tucker about 1 a week (he goes there for regular grooming too) and he now loves it and gets excited when we tell him to get in the truck- he recognizes the store from outside in the parking lot, and I swear could find his way there on his own if needed!
Sarah
Mom to daughter, McKenna,
With us for 40 weeks, 1 day
Silently Born Into Eternity
on May 27, 2007

Mom to fur-kids:
Tucker, 16 months, BMD
Echo, 6 years, Siamese
Simba, 2 years, Orange Tabby
Mom to one reptile-teenager,
Trevor, 16 years, red-eared slider turtle

Offline ZooCrew

• Tail Wagging Champ
  • Never say Never to a pet in need
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 06:53:52 pm »
Frosty paws are ice cream treats made just for dogs.  Last time I saw them they came in a blue box in a package of 6.  you should be able to buy them in grocery stores in the ice cream section.  Come in 2 or 3 different flavors.

Offline Mainebernese

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2008, 10:14:06 am »

Had to ask- what is a "frosty paw"?  I have never heard of such a treat/toy before, sounds interesting.  My Tucker is 5 months, and had the exact same thing happen to him at Petsmart the first time we brought him.  We also have hard wood flooring through pretty much our whole house, so he's been slipping and sliding since day one.  Trimming the fur on his pads is a great idea, and also continue the trips to PetCo.  We've taken Tucker about 1 a week (he goes there for regular grooming too) and he now loves it and gets excited when we tell him to get in the truck- he recognizes the store from outside in the parking lot, and I swear could find his way there on his own if needed!

Frosty Paws are Cooper's favorite treats.  He could be outside running circles around our house or chasing other dogs, but when I yell "Do you want a Frosty Paw" he stops what he is doing and bolts for the house.  I usually only give them to him once a week.  Honestly, I do not think they are all that healthy, but I figured as long as he had them only once in awhile it was ok.
Kaitlen