Author Topic: Introducing my puppy!  (Read 4751 times)

Offline MarleyPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Marley - Pyr & Jasmin - BMD
    • View Profile
Introducing my puppy!
« on: May 19, 2008, 06:19:13 pm »
Hi everyone - been awhile since I have been on.
So we got a second dog. It is a Berner and a puppy. My sister in law got two puppies the other day so I thought I would see how my 2 year old Pyr would integrate in preperation for bringing my girl home. Didn't go so well. Marley seemed very nervous, didn't want anything to do with the pups and even growled at one. I realize two is a bit overhelming however I was very careful to slowly bring them over and let him sniff them...didn't really work though. I get the new pup in two weeks. Any advice on how I can make it easier on Marley and how I can integrate the new pup into Marley's space?
Carolyn
1 Great Pyr 2yrs
1 Berner pup

Casselman,Ontario
Canada

Offline Cave2PyrPressure

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Introducing my puppy!
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2008, 10:40:36 am »

When we decided to foster Morgan, the rescue coordinator brought her over and had me bring Breezely out to meet Morgan, rather than bringing her into "his" home.  She said that is such an important way to introduce a new dog, because then he won't feel like his space has been invaded.  She should know, she has 10 of her own, 8 fosters and has quite a revovling door lol.  Good luck, it did take about a week for him to really accept that she would be here awhile and not just visiting, but they are good friends now (as you can see by the picture!)

Kelli
« Last Edit: May 25, 2008, 07:41:41 pm by Cave2PyrPressure »
~Kelli - Colin, Molly and Patrick's birth mother
Breezely Greatest Pyr 2.5
Sullivan, Pyr foster failure 1.5
Cassidy Beautiful Border Collie 14
Gomez the Wonder Chihuahua 2
George the Fat Cat 6

marypyrs

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2008, 10:51:55 am »
Yes. It can take a while. A lot of patience on both sides. But ever so worth it.  :-*

(Cave2PyrPressu re - welcome - )

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2008, 11:00:45 am »
if he is growling or snaps, he is setting his boundaries...l et him, it will actually help you train the little tyke because the first dog that you have will teach the pup boundaries and limitations!!! Making your life easier.  We are getting a mastiff pup soon too, and we have to let the course of nature take over, they rarely hurt eachother, it is more for spacail issues!!