Author Topic: Question for those of you who have BP's that "scare" people  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
OK, so we recently moved into this neighborhood. Down the street there is a house that has 3 (or maybe 4) big ol' mastiffs in the yard. The fence is a wood frame with chicken wire. The doggies bark their ever loving heads off when anyone walks by, and the top of the chicken wire fence is bent in from where their giant paws go when they are barking madly. Naturally, there are wild rumors flying through the neighborhood, which I am hearing from my daughter. One of the dogs got out and attacked a neighbor girl. No wait, well, it pinned her against a fence. Well, not pinned but was just barking right at her and she was backed up against a fence. Did you know that one of the dogs killed an old lady once?? So, despite the fact that if one of the dogs actually killed someone it would probably be GONE, I would like to call the owners. Can't go to the door, cuz the fence goes all around the front yard, and the dogs do actually go bat (poop) nuts when we walk by, and yes it is quite intimidating!! Please tell me how you would recieve this:

I plan to call and tell them that I was curious about their beautiful mastiffs (true). I love the brindle on the one, or are there two brindles? (True). We are new in the neighborhood (true) and have heard all kinds of wild rumors from the kids on the block (true). I was wondering about your dogs' temperment, because I have seen them bark, and wanted to know the truth about how they really are (true). I'd love to meet them, if they are social with stranger!(true!) I'd also like to help the neighborhood kids and their concerned parents learn the truth so that there are no more silly rumors (true).

They have a son (or grandson - not sure what the relationships are) that is in my daughter's grade, so there is a school directory with all the phone numbers.

Would you be offended or receptive if a neighbor contacted you like that?? Please let me know - I'd like to take care of this as soon as possible. I don't want my kids fearing to play outside, and I do want to know if the dogs are a valid concern. And if they are all bark and no bite, I really want to meet them!! ;D
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Question for those of you who have BP's that "scare" people
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2008, 09:10:29 am »
Hi,

Can't hurt to try. I'd start with just asking to meet them as their "son/Grandson" is in your daughters class, and see if they bring up the dogs first! If not mention that you Love Mastiff's and would really like to meet their pack!

They will quickly give you an "oh sure" or a "That might not be a good idea" response. I would think!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2008, 09:36:17 am »
I think that is a great idea....we cant get anywhere in life if we dont communicate!
Maybe bringing your daughter over there to meet the son/grandson first and see for your self about the dogs. Not only for that reason but also to meet a new buddy for your daughter.
Also... you could maybe catch the parents outside and ask if you could come closer to the dogs for a visit that should spark up some conversation about them also.
Good luck and keep us posted!!

AudgePadge

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 11:11:40 am »
I think it's great you're taking initiative to meet/greet the neighbors and their dogs!  It's much better than rumors flying around like in the movie- Sandlot..."The Beast" lol

lorim2

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 11:19:16 am »
I too agree with everyone.  I would just talk to them..Cant hurt and you will know from the first moment you speak to the humans whats going on.  First meetings/impressions are usually right-on!  Good luck and let us know what happens