Author Topic: just wondering about stained tongues  (Read 2582 times)

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
just wondering about stained tongues
« on: August 05, 2005, 07:32:05 pm »
I was out walking Angus today on the habour front and was introduced to Bosun the 5½ mth old newf, as you can imagine a small crowd gathered around the 2 dogs (bosun was very big) and everyone was asking why Angus didn't have a stained (purple/black) tongue like Bosun. Does anyone else's newf have a stained tongue?

Offline GrumpyBunny

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Re: just wondering about stained tongues
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2005, 08:48:25 pm »
I don't have a Newf but I did try to look this up on the internet for you...   ;D

I found a couple things that said that purebred Newfs with black or purple on their tongues have a recessive ticking gene (the gene that causes the black tick marks on a Landseer Newfie).  There may or may not be black tick marks elsewhere on the dog as well, but they don't show up on the already black fur, just on the tongue...

Take it with a grain of salt, as we all know anyone can post anything on the Internet and be considered an expert.  Since I am the farthest thing from an expert, I have no clue if this is true or not.  Maybe some can confirm or deny, and then we will BOTH know!   ;D

*Founder of the Official Suspicious Chicken Fan Club*

Offline jabear

• Wizard of Wiggling & Waggling
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2005, 09:56:54 pm »
Bear has a stained togue and the stains seem to increase with age. He had none when we first brought him home but now I think that it makes him look unique. It also helps to hide a giant scar that he has on his tongue from a mean doggy who bit him.

I don't know if every Newf has them or what but I agree with Grumps- we are no experts so take it in stride.  ;D
Hugs,
Jaime
  Mom to one handsome black Bear.

Offline AC

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2005, 07:19:41 am »
Thanks for the replies. I think Bosun, who's tongue is almost all purple has some landseer in him anyway, his snout is very long.

Offline luvmenewfs

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2005, 04:02:58 am »
Oh goodness!  My first reaction when I saw this thread is I thought maybe the pup had gotten an ink pen!!

Brycie has aareas of black on the roof, and I think he still has a black spot on the tongue.  Not a big one.

Interesting to know though.  I hadn't heard about this!!

Robin