Author Topic: uhg....dog show...  (Read 6612 times)

Offline Guardian Angel's White lightning

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
uhg....dog show...
« on: June 04, 2008, 02:14:48 pm »
I registered us to go to the norwalk ct dog show...not realizing that it is 3 hours from us..it is a one day show. Should i go? or pass on this one.....it is 175 miles from me....just for one day... i learned my lesson... but should i go?

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: uhg....dog show...
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 02:18:58 pm »
Lauren, if Titan has Lymes and he is on medications you should give hime a break from shows. His immune system is very weak and doxy makes dogs sleepy and drowsy. JMHO  :)
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 02:22:09 pm »
yeah i got that part...you know though, i already have him in shows until june 22.  He is the most crazy dog i have ever met!!! The lyme only made him aggressive, and we have not had one case since the medicines.  I do understand on not going though, and we are taking a break after june 21.  This dog has never been so active!! He is freakin crazy...runnin g like a mad man all the time...he is doing the zoomies, and happy as a clam.  If he wasn't showing well then i wouldn't, but we have never not placed....

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 02:28:30 pm »
Just because he is showing well doesn't mean he is not sick anymore. It takes 6-12 week of treatment to Lymes level to go down. I am not sure how long he was sick before you caught it but Lymes affects nervous system if caught late. In most cases aggression issues will NOT go away. If it is your case, you probably don't want to breed him and therefore showing him is unnecessary. I don't think you realize how serious his issues are :-\
Mary W. Crane

• Top Doggie Dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:43:22 pm »
ok...well i do realize how serious the issues are. But we did a c6 and he has a 100 count.  he has been shown and has had this issue for quite a while from what the vet said. And it was fine.... perhaps i am being to sensitive, but it seems like everytime i post here i am getting attacked lately...perha ps it is just me though....

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 02:50:32 pm »
But we did a c6 and he has a 100 count. 
I am not attacking you in any ways. Sorry, but it just doesn't make sense. You just did his first C6 not that long ago and said it was 150. He hasn't been on meds for long enough for count to go down that much from 150 to 100. I also don't understand why you keep doing the test so often? It takes years for count to go down. Vets recommend doing this test every 6 months :-\
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 02:52:45 pm by People Whisperer »
Mary W. Crane

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 03:00:58 pm »
Lauren, if Titan has Lymes and he is on medications you should give hime a break from shows. His immune system is very weak and doxy makes dogs sleepy and drowsy. JMHO  :)

I have to agree. If your boy is sick why place the added stress on him of a dog show? To me no hope of a win is that important. There are plenty of shows when he's better that you can attend. JMO
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:09:18 pm by VdogLover »

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 03:13:21 pm »
I know you have always put your babes first. You'll know what to do.

It's always a good thing to put 'things' out there to find some sort of sounding board.

That D**** Lyme Disease!!!!!

I've said it before but I'll say it again. I have YET to find any reason on this Good Earth for TICKS!!!!!

HUGS!!!!
Jane & The Crew

Offline Sillygoose

• Top Doggie Dog
  • I love my dog!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 03:54:37 pm »
Hello Lauren, I'm not sure if this would work but you gould try pulling him from the shows and get a refund because he is sick. I would think you would need a vets letter though. I'm not sure how it works in the US. That would help you with some money issues especially seeing as you got a 2 weeks notice. There will be plenty of fall shows to go to and they will be 4 day shows. Much easier for points. I hope your boy feels better soon, and I'm sure you'll do whats best for him.

Tina

Modified to add: What if he does still have some aggresion issues and does attack another dog in the ring. You really don't want to be know as as the women with the vicious Mastiff. You know first hand how these close knit groups can be. Also it's not something you want recorded in the judges book that does end up at the AKC. That is something that will follow him.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 03:58:20 pm by Abbeyroadpyrs »