Author Topic: Are my Newfs bored?  (Read 4004 times)

jesday

Are my Newfs bored?
« on: June 05, 2008, 08:52:16 am »
Other than shredding anything that shreds, my kids don't play too much. They soon tire of new toys. We have a basket full. If you toss a ball, frisbie, stick they will chase it and maybe pick it up once. Then they just look at you, "what do you want me to do with this"? They'll play a little keep away from each other, but then one might take it somewhere to see if its tearable, usually Syrus and Sophie comes over, mom just scratch me all day, okay.

They have bursts of energy where they chase, pounce and bite each other and this is how Syrus wants to play with me which I can't allow for obvious reasons. They love walks, but Syrus is having some growth issues and I have had to curtail or shorten these for several weeks now.

They are 9 months old and sleep, sleep, sleep. They prefer the cool of the garage.I leave the garage door to the house open so they can come in and hang out with me, but after initial happiness, if I'm not scratching them it's out to the garage for a nap.

I know this is a trait for the older Newf, but because of their young age I wonder if they are just bored with nothing to do but sleep.

I work from home and use this opportunity to hole up in my office, but I beginning to wonder if I'm being a neglectful mom? :-\

Offline Winslow 151

• Paw-meister
  • Winslow at 6 Months
    • View Profile
Re: Are my Newfs bored?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2008, 10:25:01 am »
Hi,

You are just experiencing the character that makes the "trait for older Newfies" What you described is what a Newfie is!! Attention form "us" is a premium followed very closely nap time!! in the coolest spot possible.

Enjoy them and No you are not being neglectful!! They were bred to sit in the Bow of a fishing vessel and pull a net, save a sailor or cart some supplies, then back to the bow until it was time to work again!!
Happy Tails to All
Winslow's Dad

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2008, 02:52:59 pm »
I know I know I have a mastiff and I dont fit in here but Titan is the same way....
He sleeps all night then we get up and go to work he sleeps some more I come home everyday to give him a break we walk and play and have lunch then he sleeps some more we get home from work and he plays we have dinner then a walk and he sleeps again!
I often wonder the same thing....but I think it's there traits....they are just big and lazy!
You not a bad mum just a bit concerned like all mommies!
I personally am taking advantage with curling up on the couch with him....I am thanking the "hey what is this and can I put it in my mouth oh it doesnt matter i will eat it anyways" stage is comming to an end!
 ;)

jesday

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 05:13:44 pm »
Thanks for all the input. I guess I'm still a little sensitive to several trainers and unsolicited advice about how I should never have gotten litter mates. They will never bond with you. You have to separate them and spend booko time with each one individually, and even then you will be lucky if they see you more than anything other than a feeding machine. Thus the "why don't they want to play with me" attitude.

I have no doubt they love us based on all the slobber kisses and lap sitting, but thanks again for reminding me it is the nature of the beast, or beasties in this case. ;D

Offline Newly Newfed

• Top Doggie Dog
  • Sierra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 07:01:23 am »
It sounds like your doing fine by your Newfs.  Like it's been said, Newfs have very low indoor energy - aka, they're couch potatoes.  Sierra's routine during the day, whether it's just Jeff working from home orme and the kids are there too, is to lay down, preferably the exact spot where she is in the way the most  ;D, snore loudly, get up for a drink, wipe her face off on someone's leg, and then go lay down and snore some more.  She may occaisionally chase the cat if her eyes are open to see it walk by.  But then she flops down like a load of bricks again and falls back to sleep.
Dogs are not our whole lives, but they make our lives whole - Roger Caras

Sierra-Newfoundland
Cody-Papillon
Oscar, Gina- Cats
Roxy-Ferret
Peaches, Sean, Thunderbolt, Chablis, Lucky, Miracle, Ivy, Riley-Whitetail Deer

Offline NarniaMals

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:15:08 pm »
The newfs sound like my mals.  Since it got warmer (60 degrees) they have really mellowed.  Lots of sleep and then even more sleep.  I finished up work (teacher) and have been home all day and it is driving them crazy.  They sleep all night and then have breakfast and curl up for another nap.  We get spurts of play, but unless we take them up to the mountains (still snow and cooler temps) or down to the river we get tired pups!  They were just in to the vet so it is a breed thing - not a health issue -  Just the "dog days" of summer.  Don't get me wrong - we still have a lot of rough-housing out in the yard in the morning and the evening - but in the middle of the day they prefer to sleep. -

Come to thingk of it - so do I!

Enjoy your pups!
(mine are litter mates and each one shows me momma time - Jadis is curled up on my feet right now!)

MArianne
Marianne and the MALS
Jadis (Queen of Narnia - The White Witch) and
Vander  (One of her loyal guardians)
also Maulgrim (our Huskey - Head guardian and our little alpha dog!)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 01:45:49 pm »
I can only speak for Pyrs & Golden's but mine have made it's their life's work to hold down our floor & furniture.  They also have spurts of energy, but most of the time they take their work very seriously.  Zzzzzzzzzz   :D

Sounds to me like you're doing a fine job with your pups!   ;)  :-*
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees