Author Topic: New to the boards, The story of Oliver Twist  (Read 11177 times)

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
New to the boards, The story of Oliver Twist
« on: June 06, 2008, 12:57:13 pm »
I just wanted to introduce myself and post some pictures of one of my many dogs, but my only Pyr. Meet Oliver Twist aka Ollie-bear

Ollie is a 4 year old rescue Pyr (mix, we think). He came into our rescue weighing 70 lbs and with multiple kinds of worms, extremley bad mange, road rash, and other skin issues. After spending 3 weeks at the vet to get stable he came to stay with us as a foster dog, but we fell in love. The first night here he put his paw on my husbands leg when he stopped petting him (apparently a classic Pyr trick) as if to say "please sir, can I have some more?" which is how he accquired his name. We have had him about 6 months now and it has taken us about this long to get him where he looks decent and has put on substantial weight. After trying several market dog foods, having allergies to EVERYTHING, several trips to the vet, shaving the poor boy naked, prescription shampoos, and rounds upon rounds of antibiotics, we now have him on a home cooked organic diet (yay! ) He now weighs about 110 lbs and his coat is coming in nicley.

After this experience with our "problem child" I have become EXTREMLEY bonded with my boy. He exhibits so many traits of a Pyr I have been amazed. My husband is currently deployed to Iraq and he has taken the role of guardian, sleeping partner, caretaker and playmate for the kids and just has been an all around joy to have in our home. After 10 years of dog rescue, I have finally found "my breed" and I couldn't be happier.

Here are a couple of pictures of Oliver and my daughter when he first came in and more recently.

I can only find this one of him after first coming home, but notice his horrible skin and how thin he is.

And here more recently my daughter was sick and Oliver became her personal bodyguard/pillow combo

I look forward to networking with you all!!

-Olivers Momma

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: New to the boards, The story of Oliver Twist
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:28:31 pm »
Welcome!!! I am sure you will enjoy it here :)
What a great job you have done with Oliver...he has come a loooong way!
I am Olesya aka Pyr maniac  ;D I have one spolied rotten Lily
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

jesday

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 02:08:08 pm »
Welcome, and thank you for your husband's service.

Wow, Oliver looks great! You have done a wonderful job.

Is there a site or do you have a recipe for your organic diet. Our newfie girl has continual staff infections which the vet thinks she still may out grow when her immune system is fully developed. She is 9months old. But I have a feeling we will be in this for a long time. Many people have great success stories with home cooked foods after trying everything else.

I think you will enjoy BPO. I have only been a member a couple of weeks and find I am quite addicted.

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 02:21:37 pm »
Hi everyone! Thank goodness these boards are active!! I had joined another pyr forum and not gotten any responses. I am so glad to meet you all!!

Abigail (pictures in the photos forum) is our 3y.o aussie/collie mix. We also have an array of fosters in and out of our home. Currently a 55lb black lab named POG and a 110 lb GSD named RUGER. And a lovley old stray tom-turned housecat named Noah. Plus my two human kiddos 2 1/2 and 6 months old. I really have my hands quite full it will be nice to network with other doggie obessessed people :)

Jesday I will work on typing up some recipes for you to try with your girl but I reccomend talking with your veterinarian first as the diet for an unhealthy 4 year old dog can vary greatly from that of a healthy 9 month old girl. And you have to make sure to provide an extremley balanced diet which can soemtimes be difficult. The easiest thing I can reccommend to you is trying Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach (salmon and barley) and adding a raw egg to one feeding a day before going to home cooked stuff. Organic home cooking is TIME CONSUMING and expensive. In fact I sometimes find me and the kids eating the same thing as sir Oliver. =p
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 02:23:25 pm by MeAndMyMuttz »

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 03:39:10 pm »
Welcome to you and Oliver. He is gorgeous - such emotion in his face. I'm in LOVE!
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2008, 03:51:50 pm »
Welcome to BPO! I have a rescue Pyr, Jenny, and Tipper, my shelter dog, Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix, as well as 2 cats and twin almost 5 yr old girls. Oliver looks amazing, you've done wonders with him already. When I got Jenny her undercoat was completely matted and she had worms as well. It's so great to see their coats reflect the love and attention we give them. I've had a lot of success with giving Jenny salmon oil on her food, her coat is so soft now. Glad you found this site!
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2008, 04:04:26 pm »
Wow!! You all are so nice and welcoming!!! I really appreciate the kudos on the work I've put into Oliver. He shows me every day with the look in his eyes but its nice to hear his progress applauded by those of the human persuasion :) thanks everyone!!

marypyrs

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:15:43 pm »
Hi & Welcome Oliver's Momma! And Hi to Oliver and all his Fur Friends & your adorable Daughter!

I'm Jane & "Mom" to Rainbow and Whisper plus two grown Sons & wonderful DILs. (One Grand Dog and two Grand Kitties. No Grand Kids yet.  :-\)

I'm so glad you found us! 

I, too, thank your Husband for his Service.

You're going to love it here. What a wonderful story about your 'Oliver Twist'. Looking forward to hearing more about ALL your Crew.

Jane

Offline Cave2PyrPressure

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2008, 04:18:27 pm »
OH he's so gorgeous!  What a long road to get to you, but thank goodness he did.  We rescued our pyr Breezely in December and I swear, I was ready for another almost instantly.  We've been fostering Morgan, also a rescue pyr, a little over a month, but I think she's pretty close to becoming ours.  I can't imagine life without her and the kids (especially my daughter) become almost inconsolable when we discuss the fact that Morgan will eventually go to a new home.  

Congratulation s and great job!

~Kelli - Colin, Molly and Patrick's birth mother
Breezely Greatest Pyr 2.5
Sullivan, Pyr foster failure 1.5
Cassidy Beautiful Border Collie 14
Gomez the Wonder Chihuahua 2
George the Fat Cat 6

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2008, 02:42:23 am »
Welcome!!!  I can't tell you how heartwarming it is to see so many new rescue Pyrs on the board.  Thank you for adopting him and for rescuing so many other furry people in need. 

Someone really should've warned you though about how addicting Pyrs are!  Ha, ha!  ;)  :D  I saw my first Pyr in 1989, Cara joined our family in early 1990.  When she passed away in 2001 I just couldn't imagine taking the chance on loving another.  Then 14 mos later I caught my hubby e-mailing Pyr breeders and he said that he'd come to the conclusion that there was "a hole in our family, and it was Pyr shaped" (gotta love that man!).  So Halley joined our family.  We lost her 2 yrs ago to bone cancer and this time we didn't wait so long.  Cassie & Sammy joined our family 16 & 15 months ago.  We know now that we'll have a Pyr in our lives as long as we can care for them.  We've also come to the conclusion that we can't have just one either....so you see why I say that they are addicting. LOL   ;)  :D

Your Oliver is adorable and so is your daughter.  It's so sweet how they snuggle.  Do you notice that Oliver seems to know when one of the family isn't feeling well?  We've definitely noticed that here, too.  Anyway, I'm so glad that you found us.  This is a very active & friendly board, so I hope that you enjoy it, too.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

DenverFurKiddos

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2008, 06:39:26 am »
Welcome! Welcome! Welcome!  I have to say- I got some serious chills when I read your post about Oliver!  Thank you so much for your kind heart!  I can't wait to hear (and see more pics, please!) more about Ollie!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2008, 07:02:23 am »
Welcome to BPO! I am Michelle and mom to a grumpy(lately) almost 7 year old akita and a really goofy English/bull mastiff mix 15 week old pup and 3 skin kids.
 The others are right, you have done an incredible job with Oliver.  I have to say your little one is pretty cute too. I look forward to seeing and hearing more about him here.

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2008, 11:51:01 am »
Wow you guys are so amazing here!

For everyone who has thanked me and my husband for our service... as we always say, it's his honor, and mine to. No thanks are needed but it is definitley nice to hear sometimes.

For everyone that asked for more pictures there are some on the "Great Pyr Photos" forum.

Cave2PyrPressu re, Yes your forum name says it all, they are addicting and pushy and have minds of their own but don't they just make life WONDERFUL! And I'm almost glad I wasn't warned that they are so addicting because I probably wouldn't have had Oliver in my home in the first place :p

MaryPyrs, It is SO difficult fostering. I am a wreck about giving up the GSD we have in our house right now. I've had him about 3 months and have put an INSANE amount of work into him I tear up when I think about him leaving. The only thing that ever keeps me going is knowing that its one more spot open to save another dog. :p I wish and your family the strength to continue to foster. ;)