Author Topic: What can I add that is low fat but filling to kibble?  (Read 10077 times)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
What can I add that is low fat but filling to kibble?
« on: June 09, 2008, 08:36:19 am »
Gunner is 15 weeks old and weighs 40 lbs.  the vet says his weight is perfect and he is on the lean side and she wants him to stay that way through puppyhood and is better for his joints and growth pattern but my problem is he wants more food. He will walk over to Kira's food and push her out of her bowl and eat what she has.  I feed him 2 cups twice a day(cant do a mid-day feed because im at work) and that is already 1/4 a cup over the recommended amount.
Is there anything I can add to his food to be more filling and satisfy him but not make him a tub-o-lard?

Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: What can I add that is low fat but filling to kibble?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 08:43:08 am »
If he is that hungry I would give him more food :) 4 cups a day for a growing Mastiff puppy is not enough IMO  :-\ You can also add some veggies, if he will eat them ;D
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

Offline Rosalba

• Veteran Dog Chomper
  • Lucca at City park
    • View Profile
    • The Glovinsky Gallery of Contemporary Art
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 09:17:50 am »
after lunch or dinner, depending on how desperate he seems, I give lucca a big carrot. The first time he wasn't so sure about it, but now he LOVES them. They're straight from the fridge, so they're nice and cold. I started giving them to him for the same issue: he was always hungry after meals (even though he gets about 5 and 3/4 cups in 3 sittings), but I dont want him to get fat -he's already on the large side....

Anyways, yes.... Try carrots. I assure you he'll love them, and you'll have to start giving some to Kira too cuz she'll want them too... Or you  could try mixing in some green beans with his food... Good luck!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:23:18 am by Rosalba »
-Rosalba

owned by:
Frida (the Chihuahua)
Olive (the handsome devil of a cat)
Lucca (the Saint Bernard puppy)

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 10:22:30 am »
I second the green beans & carrots!  My pups come running to beg for green beans if they hear the can opener.  They'll even sit for them like doggy treats.  The other day my son dropped a baby carrot on the floor and Daisy snagged it so fast you'd have thought it was cat food. :D  Also, one of my big favorites is to add a bit of mashed, plain (no butter or salt) baked potato into their kibble.  They love that, too.   ;)  ;D
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline pyr4me

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 10:23:43 am »
What about low fat cottage cheese? My dogs love when I add that to their food.
Jennifer

Tipper (8 1/2 yrs) Golden Retriever/Sheltie mix
Jenny (4 yrs) Great Pyrenees
Gabriel (14 yrs) Sealpoint Himalayan cat
Melanie (11 yrs) Domestic medium hair cat

"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us."
~Robert Lewis Steven

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:53 pm »
When Titan was that old I remember him eating 5-6cups a day mostly on the 6 side... I would not say he is or was fat by anymeans maybe a bit chuncky but you can still see his last rib in the right light LOL :)
We have always fed him 3 times a day a probably will continue to do so. he gst 1 1/2cups for breafast and then 1 cup for lunch and another 1 1/2-2 cups at night. We are just able to get home everyday. If you are not able you could try still the 3 times a day but feed another meal later at night. Titan gets his dinner right before bed. He eats gets his bone and lays down and chews and falls a sleep....we also then have a less risk of bloat. He resting comfortably as he digests.
Just a thought... good luck and your guys are very cute!

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 03:56:18 pm »
Thanks ladies!!  I always followed the feeding guidelines on the bag for weight and I should have used my brain because they are just that, guidelines.
I think I may try to feed him 2 cups in the am with 1/2 cup greenbeans then a cup of kibble after I get home and then another 1 1/2 cup kibble and 1/2 cup green beans before bed.  that puts him at 4 1/2 cups a day plus 1 cup of the green beans.
If that doesnt work then I will just up his kibble by one cup and divide that between the am and bed feedings.
I hope this works because Kira has begun to refuse to eat if he is in the same room.  I had to put her in the mud room alone so she would eat.
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

lorim2

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 04:29:12 pm »
Wow...I cant really remember what Marley ate when he was that young but I know he eats a ton now.  Hes really on the lean side although my avatar makes him look a little tubby..Its just the camera adding the 10lb look thingee...haha  but really hes not fat and he eats 5 cups in the am and 6 in the pm...I actually cut him back a cup..I add and take away depending on his weight.  He looks and feels good at 190 and I work to keep him there.

Offline elaine

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 04:36:25 pm »
I was told that you can add either popped popcorn, no butter, or rice cakes to add bulk to the food bowl without calories!
Elaine

lins_saving_grace

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 05:01:58 pm »
i use a reduced fat milk.  it's got lots of calcium in it too. 

Offline sc.trojans

• Big Paws-a-holic
  • Gracie and Skylar
    • View Profile
    • Natural K9
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 11:49:48 pm »

Green beans are empty calories - meaning they provide none :) so a good choice as long as adding more fiber doesn't cause obvious fiber issues - loose stool.

Carrots are good too since unless carrots (all veggies actually) are either cooked well or ground up/pulped, dogs can't digest them / break them down.  Anyone feeding whole raw carrots can see them coming out the other end much the same way they went in - so this is a good trick if you want to fill their belly, but don't want any actual digestion going on as no nutrients will be absorbed.

Carrots are not as good a choice as green beans in my view because of the high starch content - carrot can create yeast overgrowth in a lot of dogs resulting in itchiness, gunky ears etc. so be sure your dog does well with them first and watch for yeast symptoms.

SC Trojans
with Gracie and Skylar

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2008, 11:51:33 pm »
Canned Pumpkin
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 11:52:31 pm by VdogLover »