Author Topic: Should a Pry be clipped in summer?  (Read 6753 times)

Offline heartofwisdom

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
    • Heart at Home Blog
Should a Pry be clipped in summer?
« on: June 09, 2008, 06:09:58 pm »
Should a Pry be clipped in summer?

It is hot here in TN. My guys have lots of shady places but I wonder if they should be clipped. I have thought the double coat keeps them cooler?

Thanks,
Robin
Robin

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
Re: Should a Pry be clipped in summer?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »
No, they shouldn't! Their coat insulates them and keeps them cool...well, as cool as sooooo much hair can be ::) :P
I always try to get rid of as much of undercoat as I possible can and after that it's all good ;D
After 2-3 weeks into the shedding I give Lily a bath and use tons of conditioner, which makes hair really soft. It's easy to get it all out after that ;)
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 06:33:25 pm by People Whisperer »
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)

bigdogs@5501

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 06:31:45 pm »
I have shaved down my Pyrs for years now, we shave down in May and then in August every year. We can easily get to 110 here in Texas and as long as they are not shaved down to where they can sunburn, we have not had any problems. My vet also shaves hers each spring. My pyrs like to be outside a lot even in the summer and you can see how relieved they are when they are shaved. I have had any negative side effects from shaving them down.

Offline CalistogaPyr

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2008, 04:05:10 pm »
My husband & I are going round about this issue.  He wants to shave Bo and I don't.  I'm concerned about the potential for heat stroke/sunburn, as we live in an area of California that reaches 110 regularly during the summer.  Granted, Bo can be inside or out during the day, it's still really hot.  I bought some shed shampoo and good conditioner and see if that helps to get the undercoat out, which is what I think contributes to overheating. 
Once the landlord at our old house had to shave their male pyr bald (I mean, BALD) due to a fly infestation (long story).  They left his head unshaved, though, so he looked like a pink q-tip for weeks!!  They had to put a t-shirt on him!
"Be the change you wish to see in the world"-Gandhi

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2008, 04:32:05 pm »
We used to live in N.CA like CalistogaPyr and it was often 100-110 and it was even up to 118 one summer.  Our Pyrs spent a lot of time indoors in the AC, and nearly all of their time during the heat of the day.  We had a kiddie pool for them as well as shade & all, but it's just hard to make 110 degrees bearable for anyone regardless of what you try.  We just kept them inside in the AC with us.  We didn't clip either b/c we'd been warned about sunburn & heatstroke b/c their fur helps to insulate in summer from heat & in winter from cold.  Though I know that some do clip and they like it.  So I don't know, but no, I probably wouldn't do it, but that's just me.  JMHO
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Offline MeAndMyMuttz

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2008, 05:29:44 pm »
That is a firm no missy :p

I am an ex Emergency vet tech and live in TN myself. As hard as it is to believe the pyr's thick coat actually keeps them insulated from the heat as well as the cold. Look at it this way... if you put ice water in a plain glass or an insulated thermos which is going to become warm and melt more quickly? The icewater in the glass.  Also Pyrs have very sensitive pink skin and if shaved to short can become succeptible to some pretty bad sunburns.

To help keep your big furry pal from overheating limit his time outdoors in the hottest parts of the day. Provide plenty of cool fresh water, and access to cold tile floors in your home are always a favorite :) If your pooch does seem to be extremley hot, spray cool water on the pads of his feet (the main source of cooling for dogs) and mist him lightly over his entire body the evaporation will help to cool him more quickly.

Good luck my friend, I think we're in for one hot summer here in good old Tennessee :)

"A dog is not "almost human," and I know of no greater insult to the canine race than to describe it as such." - John Holmes

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 11:13:04 am »
I have a kom/lab mix with excessive hair (kom-side). I have done a lot of research and inquiry to other kom owners as well as my vet and groomer. They all suggested to shave their bellies and the excess hair between their pads/toes, leave everything else. This is my first year with a kom, she is 6 months old, we live in Ohio and our AC was out for 3 days. It was in the 90's and she seemed to fair better than us.

FYI
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)