Author Topic: Information/AdviceRequired  (Read 15564 times)

Offline mckgem

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Re: Information/AdviceRequired
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 05:21:23 am »
LOL @ Puppy Fever. I haven't got any new pics yet, I'm going to leave it a few weeks to see the size difference in him, but I'll defo keep you guys updatefd. Thanks again for your help.

Offline Bubbalove

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2008, 08:41:45 am »
Well, you have come to a great place for advice...espec ially about tough issues like this one.  I am mom to Kana a 3 year old Japanese Akita and he is (and always has been) all BOY!  He has been quite the challenge to raise properly.  We got him at 4 months from Midwest Akita Rescue Society. He had been bought from a breeder in Canada and homed in Ohio by some idiot who did not do his research.  He gave him up 3 weeks after purchasing him.  We, luckily, found him. 
As many have stated, food aggression is 1)breed typical of Akitas 2)a behavior that is not that difficult to re-train and 3)something that has to be estabilshed early and often.  I love the NILIF policy (nothing in life is free) for my Akita. It's worked out very well! 
My biggest concern about your story is that your baby has been taken away from his family too early (therefore wrecking the natural teaching that goes on in the pack) and that your boyfriend may want you rehome him. NOT that I disagree with him, but I don't know how easy it will be to rehome him at this young age & with his special Akita "attitude". 
PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE consult a rescue before rehoming him!!!!  Akitas too often get placed in inexperienced homes... homes that have very wonderful intentions, but just do not know the intensity of the breed!
Even though we had expereince with Akitas, when we got Kana it was like nothing we have ever experienced before. He was DIFFICULT!  Had we not known about the breed, we probably would have not known what to do, he was that hard of a case.
I commend you for looking for advice...your heart is definately in the right place so I have no doubt that your pup will do well with the right rules and remember NILIF!
Best of luck, I look forward to checking in soon to hear about his progress!
 :)
Kana - 4 y/o Japanese Akita
Kita - 8/2005 crossed Rainbow Bridge
       10 y/o American Akita

Offline mckgem

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2008, 02:14:56 pm »
Thanks again.

Bruce is comin on really well.

We introduced him to the girls on Monday - which went pretty much as planned. Our Boxer pinned him down twice and then ignored him. Our Mastiff ignored him until she was brave enough to try and bite his head off. He ended up with a little bit of a poorly leg, which doesn't seem to be bothering him much at all now and is good going, having just gone up against a Mastiff. LOL.

He seems to have calmed down a lot and is much more pleasant to be around, cuddle and stroke. He's still a bit snappy with regard to food and treats, that's something I'll have to keep working on.

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »
LOL,  they are setting him straight in the pack order quickly!
I cant wait to see more pic's of him.  I bet he has grown since the last ones you posted!
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak