Author Topic: Leash, Biting, jumping  (Read 5166 times)

Offline lisawinphoto

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
Leash, Biting, jumping
« on: June 14, 2008, 06:40:01 pm »
My 11 week old GS puppy is really having a bad spell.  he's biting me pretty hard through my pants on some walks, refusing to stop biting the leash, jumping to nip and generally not behaving real well. I;m really concerned about this and am not sure what to do.  I think this is beyond saying ouch to him.  I need to put an end to this right now before he gets any bigger. He pulls on his leash as well and has not mastered walking well at this stage.  I'm in a puppy class right now. What should I do?  I'm feeling like a failure with him already.

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
Re: Leash, Biting, jumping
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2008, 06:46:49 pm »
Well, the good news is you've already taken an excellent step by enrolling him in a puppy class. It sounds like you really need to establish your dominance with him - he is totally controlling the walk - and you - instead of you controlling him.

Have you tried the halti or gentle leader? I've found these help a lot with the pulling. Don't let him walk ahead of you, keep him at your side and correct him by pulling the leash sharply if he starts to move ahead.

I'm not sure what to do about him biting your legs, but I know others here will have some great advice for you.
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Pyr Heaven

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
    • My Dogster Page
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2008, 06:59:59 pm »
Miles did the exact same thing when he was a (smaller) puppy. All my clothing had holes in it, and I would spend half my day crying about how I have the worst dog ever. But he eventually grew out of it.

I think the main thing was not letting it get to me, as hard as that was! I would pretend like nothing was even happening. Turn and face the other direction, not say a word. And let him jump all over me and pull on the leash to his hearts desire. When he'd stop, I'd continue with our walk. And man did it HURT. I don't know if my method actually WORKED, but he did eventually stop acting that way.

On the occasion he'll get a streak in him while we're on a walk now and he'll sprint forward then come back and jump on me and bite the leash, but this is usually if he has a lot of energy due to only getting one walk because of the bad weather or something.

Don't worry, it'll be over soon. ;)
*~*~Samantha~*~*
Milwaukee, Wi

----Miles----
Great Pyrenees

Offline People Whisperer

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 07:07:12 am »
As soon as he starts acting up, stop and don't do a thing. Wait for him to calm down and as soon as he does, praise, praise and praise with the best treats! GS are very smart and usually food motivated. Very soon he will learn that behaving badly doesn't do a thing ;D 
"To once own a Great Pyrenees is to love and want one always."
Mary W. Crane

I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it :)