Author Topic: Hi from Ohio - Gr8 Pyr  (Read 16607 times)

Offline BandRsMom

• Gnawer
    • View Profile
    • Its the Dogs Life
Re: Hi from Ohio - Gr8 Pyr
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 09:04:13 pm »
Hi there... Welcome from another Ohio big dog owner.  I'm Lora and have two saints and 4 labs.  We are near Columbus.

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 06:29:05 am »
She is not a working LGD. She definately has all the personality of a lab. Her coat has been a mystery to me. She never shedded even during her bath, then about a month ago she started to shed her puppy coat or what I call her bear fur and her new coat is coming in curly and "white". She was pure black when I got her with four white toes. See the pic below. Anyway she seems to have stopped shedding her puppy coat and is only half way finished. I don't know if I should help it along and have her groomed or not. My husband and I are kinda curious what it will do on its own.

Anyway, welcome again.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)
Boomer (Cat-russian blue)
RIP - Tater Marie (basset 11/95 to 1/08)
RIP - Velcro (Kitten-Tiger Stripe)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 07:27:41 am »
Hi there... Welcome from another Ohio big dog owner.  I'm Lora and have two saints and 4 labs.  We are near Columbus.

quite a family you've got there!  Are they all in the house?

Anyway she seems to have stopped shedding her puppy coat and is only half way finished. I don't know if I should help it along and have her groomed or not. My husband and I are kinda curious what it will do on its own.

Funny she's changing colors. I've known pyrs colors to fade, but not completely change.  A weekly brushing/combing does wonders for every dog. Being a large dog, weekly brushings will make quick work of the task instead of allowing it to build up & taking half a day to groom.  She's a single-coated dog isn't she?  If so, the brushing should be easy & help pull the fine puppy hair out...I'd suggest a groomer if she's becoming matted, but it's not neccessary.  Definitely comb her out before you bathe her.  Any fine hair underneath will tighten up like wool when it dries.

a shedding comb with varied pins works great to loosen & remove the shedding hair...I use a finer one on my parents basset hound, works great!

use a decent pin brush to finish & remove the loose hair on top...it finishes the pyrs nicely

« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 07:32:55 am by DaPeach »
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 07:36:32 am »
Her coat is like "cotton" in texture, very soft and naturally seperates. You can see her color change from root to tip. It has a cool effect in the wind. She is a single coated dog, but the new coat coming in is curly and looks like an undercoat underneath her puppy fur. It is curly from her neck to her tail, but her head, sides, and legs are straight. Who knows how she will end up. I brush her vigoursly every day. Her breed is not supposed to shed, though I did read that they will shed their puppy coats. No matts so far, she hasn't started to cord or anything. From what I have read this does not start until they are 3 years old and she just turned 6 months.

I guess we will just wait and see. I am documenting it with lots of pics. People who haven't seen her in awhile can't believe it is the same pup. She has changed colors so much is is still growing about 5-8lbs per week. Is this growth normal for a Pyr? She is in the upper 80's now. She gets fixed on Friday and they will weigh her then so I will have a more accurate weight.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)

Offline DaPeach

• Ankle Biter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 08:00:37 am »
The pyr I had as a pup gained about 10# a month until he was mature.  She will definitely be bigger than most pyrs!

Her weight gain will slow in the next six months...just be aware of it & adjust her food accordingly, no biggie, she needs her nutrition.  We stop in at the vets office once every couple months just to keep an eye on things & use their scales. 

Do you think her coat will cord being a lab mix?
Katie - Pyr adopted 4/2002
Franklin - Pyr adopted 3/2007
Norman - cat 2004
Polly - cat 2005
Spike - Conure (the boss) 1992

OWN A RESCUED PUP?

Offline TINKSMOM

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 08:08:23 am »
I think her coat will definately cord, but I will definately keep it cut to about 3"-4" max. After I brush her you can hardly tell, it immediately goes back to it's natural seperation. I asked the vet about it and he thinks so too.I read up on the grooming it takes to keep it corded and not matted and you have to manually seperate it every day, bath regularly and it takes about 24 hrs to dry. I already have a full time job. lol.

Besides, I think she would be more comfortable with a coat of a reasonable length.

I really think I have the best of both worlds. She is kom physically, but all Lab personality.

Thanks for the tips.
My name is Lori.

Mom to
Tinkerbear (lab/kom mix)
Harley (Newfy/Saint mix)