Author Topic: Amazing Watchdogs!!! (insert sarcasm here ...)  (Read 4348 times)

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Amazing Watchdogs!!! (insert sarcasm here ...)
« on: June 20, 2008, 12:03:07 pm »
Well, we just had quite the exciting afternoon ... apparently a gentleman, being pursued by the police, crashed his car next door to my house and took off into the woods ... with several police cars (with sirens) and several (gorgeous!) police dogs running through my yard, in an effort to protect my children from this situation, my husky mix thought a good idea would be to cover my living room carpet with (ahem) diareah ... UGH!!!  I do suppose if the 'bad guy' had entered our home, he would have slipped and hurt himself quite badly!!!

All joking aside ... I love that my dogs 'probably' wouldn't ever hurt a soul, but they bark enough to make someone think twice about entering!!!

They did catch the bad guy, not sure what his crime was ... but now everyone's happily napping on the living room carpet ... did I mention I LOVE my Bissel ProHeat 2X!!!

Lacey ... caregiver to:

Fable ~ 8 yeard old husky mix female
Minerva ~ 2 year old rat terrier female
Ozzy ~ baby Australian mixed with 'something big' male

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
Re: Amazing Watchdogs!!! (insert sarcasm here ...)
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 01:44:46 pm »
Yeah, we had a horrible house fire five years ago and ever since Fable is terrified of thunder and lighting, sirens, the little beep the smoke detectors make when they're running low on batteries, when the tv goes to static and pretty much any other 'non-normal' loud or electrical sound ... poor baby ... We just give her extra love and let her up on the bed or couch and sit with us ...
Lacey ... caregiver to:

Offline dober_gurl

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2008, 02:16:15 pm »
Yeah, we had a horrible house fire five years ago and ever since Fable is terrified of thunder and lighting, sirens, the little beep the smoke detectors make when they're running low on batteries, when the tv goes to static and pretty much any other 'non-normal' loud or electrical sound ... poor baby ... We just give her extra love and let her up on the bed or couch and sit with us ...

Awww poor girl. But just an FYI you aren't suppose to give a dog extra attention or comfort when they are scared of something, I know you want to but it's better to be like "Hey there's nothing to be afraid of so stop being scared!" and just ignore the behavior. Maybe play soft music during a storm or something and possibly give her treats/do tricks to distract her. I do the trick/treats thing with foster dogs and it actually works like a charm!
"None left to rescue, none left to buy, none left to suffer, none left to die. None to be beaten, none to be kicked...all must be loved and all must be fixed"

Maggie-Doberman
Molly-Papillon
Mickey-Mutt
Collin-Kitty
Sunny-Amazon Parrot
Squishy-Guinea Pig
Harper/Lyric-Rats

Offline Lacey

• Full Fledged Chewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 09:32:34 am »
Dobur,

Thanks for the info, I actually never thought to do anything other than just love on her and try to calm her ... but it has NEVER worked!!!  I think I will try 'normalcy' and 'play time' ... but definitely no treats; Fable seems to lose all 'poop' control ... she really takes it hard ...

Usually when a storm hits at night, she hops up on our bed (which none of our other dogs were ever allowed to do, things change!!!), pants and shakes ... my husband and I joke that 'someone put a quarter in the vibrating bed' ...

Meanwhile the other dogs just walk around like 'no big deal' ...

But I will definitely try 'normalcy' and less coddeling!!!
Lacey ... caregiver to: