Author Topic: Putting the dogs on dry food- need help  (Read 7994 times)

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
    • Carolina Animal Rescue Experts
Putting the dogs on dry food- need help
« on: June 21, 2008, 01:42:28 pm »
Hi guys-

Long time no see :) Sorry, have been really busy the last couple of weeks!

Well after a lot of consideration, I have decided to put the goldens on dry food. Raw is just not much of an option any more for a lot of reasons. I've been reading for the last two or three weeks on different options and I have narrowed my choice down to three brands:

Innova Evo Red Meat
Wellness CORE
Taste of The Wild High Prarie (Yes, I know, Diamond product)

Honestly.. I would like to rotate all three to give the dogs some variety and expose them to a lot of protein sources while remaining grain free. I love EVO but I just can't afford the pricetag to feed it alone. Wellness CORE is too protein high for the puppies, and TOTW is too protein low for Whiskey, although I love the alternate sources. CORE doesnt have alot more protein then TOTW but every little bit helps and I'd like to mix smoe EVO in with the CORE.

Right now I have tentatively decided on TOTW for The puppies and CORE for Whiskey, with a little bit of the EVO mixed in every day. Whiskey of course has HGE and Cisco has a pretty sensitive stomach while Annie's tummy is like Iron.. so I am really nervous about this!

What do you guys think?

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets
+ dozens and dozens o' rescues and fosters

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Re: Putting the dogs on dry food- need help
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 05:18:07 pm »
Good to "see" you too Cindy! I hope all is going well with your pack and your rescues!!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 06:14:19 pm »
I've never heard of taste of the wild high prarie so I'd be a little leery of it myself, especially because I don't trust diamond. Wellness and Innova are both good brands, as is EVO.

Have you considered timberwolf organics for your puppies? It's lower in fat and protein than any of the other grain free foods that I've seen (which I think is important).
RIP former BPO

Offline Care2Adopt

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 07:00:17 pm »
I've never heard of taste of the wild high prarie so I'd be a little leery of it myself, especially because I don't trust diamond. Wellness and Innova are both good brands, as is EVO.

Have you considered timberwolf organics for your puppies? It's lower in fat and protein than any of the other grain free foods that I've seen (which I think is important).

Timberwolf organics doesnt have a great grain free formula- they have one, but its an ocean formula and I am not fond of fish protein for my dogs (Some dogs fish protein is great for, like northern breeds, but I prefer red meat and poultry for mine) plus, they have a lot of crappy fillers like potato "product" (peelings and garbage) and, it has chicken fat as the 4th main ingredient which is VERY distrubing since it can lead to bloat. I just dont feel comfortable with the ingredients. Here's the linking to Timberwolf: (rated 5 stars)http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1434&cat=3

Now heres EVO: (6 stars)
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1604&cat=8

CORE: (6 stars)
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1291&cat=8

and TOTW (6 stars)
http://www.dogfoodanalysis.com/dog_food_reviews/showproduct.php?product=1285&cat=8

Jenn- I thought about putting them on Innova until they were over a year, but I really, really want to avoid grains, especially because of Cisco's system. I too am weary of the whole Diamond thing, but of course the problem was in the processing of their corn used in their cheap food, which isn't in the grain free foods, so that relieves me a bit..also I would think they would be REALLY careful now. But I am still really concerned because if I bought it locally I would be getting it from the SC plant (since I live in NC) where all the problems started. its a touchy subject...

Where do you get Fromms? I haven't heard of it but am interested in reading about it!!

Shawn and her
3 Golden paws
2 Kitty-paws
3 Macaws
6 lovebirds
4 ferrets

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 10:04:54 pm »
I can only add that I have used the Orijen formulas and my Shibas did very very well on it, th only reason I stopped is because if Gage, Mastiff Rotty cross, gets into it he gets sick.  I have them all on the Acana, made by the same company, because Gage cant even handle food that has a 30% protein.  So I am now trying this food, wish me luck.

Offline kathryn

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 08:07:10 am »
I feed a mixture of Innova Regular Adult and Evo.  I like to switch back and forth between the Red Meat and the Chicken Evo.  I love it and so far this has been the only dry food that Shiner can tolerate with minimal gas production.  Not sure that that helps you any on making a decision.  What about California Natural?  I was thinking that they are grain free food also.
Kaila - Belgian Malinois
Shiner - Malinois x Ridgeback
Toulouse, Cayenne, Raven - DSH

Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, the Light at the End of the Tunnel has been turned off. We apologize for the inconvenience

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 08:44:23 am »
I see what you mean about timberwolf organics - I don't know a lot about the brand but only suggested it because their protein content is lower for the puppies...

I like the Fromms Jenn suggested. I worry about such high protein content for a puppy, but most of theirs only have 24% protein which is a lot lower than most grain frees. You could feed the puppies the chicken a la veg which is only 24% and then give whiskey the surf and turf which is higher at 30% (and you can add a can or something for him if you want more protein for him).

RIP former BPO