Author Topic: My Dog Eats Rocks, or Save a Seat For Tani On the Short Bus...  (Read 5050 times)

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
The title says it all. She's been literally chewing up and crunching up rocks. Like, with her teeth! I take them away and then examine all her teeth to see if she's broken any, and so far so good. But really, is this necessary? She's like 4 years old, so it's not teething. Is her body craving some kind of mineral? Any ideas?? Is she becoming neurotic?In all seriousness, I'm afraid she'll break her teeth. She's primarily an indoor dog, so I watch her when we go out, but I have 3 sons. Those of you that have sons (old enough to use pockets) know what I'm saying - there are as many rocks IN my house as there is outside. So, what's up with the rock crunching? ???
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Tani (TAH-nee or rhymes with "Bonnie")- Aussie/Pittie?Boxer?Mutt!
Kai - Aussie/Dobie
Kenji - big ol' black cat
Mika and Nishi - kitty sisters, foster failures!
Tasia Ladysnake - ball python

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
Re: My Dog Eats Rocks, or Save a Seat For Tani On the Short Bus...
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 08:34:05 pm »
Does she have plenty of appropriate toys to chew on, and have you tried spraying rocks with bitter apple spray?
RIP former BPO

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 08:37:52 pm »
She has lots of chewing things, but really prefers hard things like bones. She currently has a bone and a cow hoof that she works on. Problem is, she chews the cow hoofs to bits, eats the bits, then yacks them back up, so that doesn't seem like a safe thing for her. Are they supposed to actually consume those cow hooves? Maybe I should find a whole leg with a hoof attached like Audrey's Roscoe!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline shangrila

• Golden Paws
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2008, 08:45:52 pm »
What about platic two liter bottles, with the cap and ring removed? Those are pretty hard but won't break teeth and can't really be shredded
RIP former BPO

Offline Scootergirl

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
    • Be my friend on myspace!
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2008, 09:15:12 pm »
They had a rock-eating hound on an episode of the Dog Whisperer a while back. I think he said it was an obsessive thing that the dog needed to be distracted from. It wasn't a mineral-craving any way.

I think Tani is just weird.  :)
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principle difference between dog and man." -- Mark Twain

Offline Ali

• BPO Fanatic
  • My girls!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2008, 09:31:25 pm »
Aw, my poor demented little doggie....I hope it's nothing I did!!
Ali
mom of 4 humans AND
Kai - Aussie/Dobie

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 12:08:06 am »
If I remember correctly you just moved to N.CA last year, right?  I ask b/c we used to live there & my parents live there still and I've been hearing stories of 105 degree days this last week.  So if that's the case for you guys, do you think that maybe she's just bored b/c it's too hot to burn off her energy otherwise?   Maybe I'm grasping at straws here, but it's just a thought. 

Also, Cassie looooooves water bottles but we have to keep them out of her reach b/c when she chews the plastic it leaves sharp edges that have given her little cuts on her mouth & lips.  I know a lot of dogs love them, but unfortunately we haven't had the best luck with them.
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees