Author Topic: Thought we had this figured out but I guess Gunner has a different opinion!!  (Read 9388 times)

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
After I get him full and I thought satisfied with his green beans and cottage cheese add ins,  he decides he wont eat his kibble anymore!!!  the little/big turd actually licks and picks out  the beans and cheese and leaves the kibble on the floor!!
Now he will walk over to Kira's bowl and eat her food, and she eats plain kibble most of the time.  I dont get it!!!
Kira's food is alot higher in protein so he cant have that.  He was on BB large breed puppy with 28% protein, switched him to Nature's recipe LB puppy(he had BAD gas and loose stools on it) switched him to Eagle pack holistic LB puppy and all the baddness from the NR went away, stools are great, gas is minor or should i say normal :-\ but now big head is being picky!! He has been eating the EP for 3 weeks and I really dont want to do another switch on him. He would be happy to eat green beans and cottage cheese all day long.  Anyone else go/going through this with thier puppy?
Anyone want to take him, figure him out for me then send him back(j/k I couldnt imagine not waking to his snoring or him plopping on me when wants some love)
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

marypyrs

Anyone want to take him, figure him out for me then send him back(j/k I couldnt imagine not waking to his snoring or him plopping on me when wants some love)

Darnit! I had my hand raised. I'll take him!!!!!  :D ~ till I read the "J/K"  :'(

What would he do, or how would he like it, if you were to pour low sodium chicken or veggie broth over the kibbles? (Kibbles + green beans + cottage cheese.   ;) )

modified for 'spell check':-/
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 05:11:22 pm by marypyrs »

Offline KiraNGunnersmom

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Thanks Jane!!!  I ran to the store and bought some low fat/ low sodium broth and it worked!!!!
He ate it all and without hesitation. 
Kira- Akita
Gunner-Mastiff
cockateils-Peanut Butter & Jelly
Beta fish-Mak

marypyrs

Haha! Good. We have to 'trick' our kids sometimes. Fur & Skin.  ;)

If you change your mind ~ my hands still up!   :)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
He sounds just like Breeze..smart enough to get the good stuff off and leave the boring ol kibble on the floor.
I'm glad the broth worked for you. I tried that and Breeze would rather starve on some days...what can I say shes a brat!

She was so bad a few weeks ago and me not wanting her to lose weight before some shows I gave in and bought her Kibbles and Bits for a week. She ate that no problem.

Offline navarre1316

• BPO Guru
    • View Profile
Navarre was a very picky eater too.  I would put anything I could think of on his food to get him to eat it, he would for about a week or so and then quit.  He'd actually be laying on the floor and I could hear his stomach across the room, he would throw up bile, and still not eat!!!  And now....Issy does the same thing!  One of my friends GSD does it too, I wonder if it's something in some breeds, along with just picky dogs!!!! :D
God placed me on this earth to accomplish certain tasks...I'm so far behind I'll never die!!

Navarre: GSD 9/13/99-5/14/06 patiently waiting
Issabeaux: GSD 1/27/07
Daphne: Boxer
Stone: Siamese mix

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
According to my husband its the smart dogs who are picky eaters.
They are smart enough to know there is far better things we can offer then dry dog food soaked in stuff after all the world does have pizza and burgers.
Who knows maybe hes on to something but I will be sure to not tell Breeze.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 09:56:25 pm by VdogLover »

Offline Apreston

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
Titan needs his food watered down kinda like making a gravy...no water/gravy no eaty!! ;)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
I tried the add ins too, until we developed your same problem. What i've found that works is buying Benny's Bully liver treats, all natural and smashing them to bits! You get a fine powder that you sprinkle sparringly on the food, shake up the food and ta da...apparentl y it's delicious!! The big bag of Benny's is $30 but I don't remember the last time I had to buy any and I still have half a container of powder left. Seriously it works so well you can buy Benny's liver powder now....way too expensive, but it's definitely saying something ;D

marypyrs

WAIT! WAIT!! WAIT!!!! ???  :o When did this "new person" come on with all the previous posts I had not seen? I did a double then triple take.  :D  "2Criminals" ? 

OK.  ;) Now I get it.  :-[  ;)

Offline 2Criminals

• Grand Master
    • View Profile
WAIT! WAIT!! WAIT!!!! ???  :o When did this "new person" come on with all the previous posts I had not seen? I did a double then triple take.  :D  "2Criminals" ? 

OK.  ;) Now I get it.  :-[  ;)

Ha Ha, someone told me I had to change my name, so....yep, my two little "criminals". (A friend of mine always calls Phelan "The Criminal" ;))

marypyrs

:) LUV the new name! But ~ Phelan a 'Criminal'? ~ Naaaaa!   ;)  :D Your Babes are just tooooo adorable!  :-*

Offline macybean

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
Haha! Riley is picky like that, but I'm not sure that it's just a smarts thing. He doesn't like quite a bit of people food, either.

Sadie, on the other hand, has the typical Lab appetite. She loves it all - bananas, pineapple, crackers, apples, nuts, cereal, eggs, carrots, greens (with dressing), etc. Anything. Of course, she gets maybe a bite of my meal, but that doesn't stop her from sitting by meal, showing me that she's doing her best and waiting for me. LOL

Guess which one is slim and which one needs to lose a few pounds...