Author Topic: I went to the hospital...  (Read 13885 times)

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
I went to the hospital...
« on: June 29, 2008, 08:03:32 am »
and they sent me home. :( >:(  I started to have contractions on Friday night and hubby and i went to the labor and delivery. 

I had gone to the doctor that morning and was 3 centimeters and 70% effaced and he said that I could go anytime.  Well they were coming every 3 to 4 minutes so we went in. 

Nurses were really nice and they hooked me up to monitors.  In an hour I hadnt changed from 3 centimeters so they called my doctor (who wasnt on call it was someone else) and they said for me to be sent home with an Ambien. (which was an experience in itself)
I was SOOOOOOO mad!!  They told me that if I had walked in 4 centimeters they would have admitted me right that second and put me on the Pit. 

Then my husband trying to be funny said do you know how big one more centimeter is.  It is tiny.  I could have killed him.  Does anyone know how to dialate one more centimeter?
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker" border="0
Bell 3 1/2 yr old Weimeraner
Baxter 3 yr old English Springer Spaniel
Buble 10 month old English Springer Spaniel

Offline ruffian

• Veteran Dog Chomper
    • View Profile
Re: I went to the hospital...
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 08:20:56 am »
Pee  :D :D

No seriously it worked for me, I was haveing full on contractions, after being induced, and in hard labour for 5 hours, but would not dialate the last 3cm.  Well when I was first induced they told me to pee I tried, and couldnt, dint think anything of it, until the end when she asked if I had pee'd...erm no I didnt, so they put in a cathader, and vola 3 more cm in like 30 second  ;D

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 09:02:36 am »
yea they made me pee while I was there but didnt dialate anymore. It is a beautiful day today so I think that I might go and work out inthe yard and see if that helps. ;)

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 11:03:44 am »
Lay on left side have husband rub/squeeze the soft spot by your Achilles tendon.
Worked for me after 18 hours of being stuck at 3 and being sent home twice from the hospital. I finally had a midwife tell us about the ankle thing and boom I went from 3 to pushing in about an hour. She saved me from another c-section thank goodness!

angelsmama

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 11:05:42 am »
WALK WALK WALK WALK!!! when my OB told me i could go another week, and i was right at my due date, i wasn't having it. my mom and i went to goodwill and i started walking! i went around that store like 6 or 7 times

Offline VdogLover

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 11:15:11 am »
LOL yeah I walked a few miles at the hospital with my second and got no where. Should have known then what I was in store for ;)
Was also told that having "fun with the husband" will speed things along...no clue if that works since that was the last thing on my mind!!!
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 11:16:25 am by VdogLover »

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 11:29:17 am »
hahah Yea my best friend called her aunt who is a midwife and asked her what we could do.  She laughed and said to go on a LONG walk and go have fun with hubby.  Something to do with a certain chemical they have that will help you dialate. 

She also told me when you go to the hospital has alot to do if you are going to get admitted.  She said that night shift isnt as ready to keep you as day shift. She said that many of her patients were sent home at night and the next morning were back and admitted. 

angelsmama

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 11:52:30 am »
myrrh also speeds labor along, jasmine dulls uterine pain and at the same time strengthens contractions.. i didnt use any , but , my sisters friend is a doula and she was on the phone with me while i was at the hospital and she rawked...

here's a site with some info

http://www.naturesgift.com/childbirth.htm

marypyrs

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 12:12:20 pm »
It's been too many years ago for me to even think of offering any advise. But just want to pop in to tell you how excited I am for you, soon to be new Daddy, and your little one.

:-*  :-*  :-*  :-*   :-*

Every time I see a post from you I just about jump out'a my skin!  ;) It won't be long now. That's for sure.  :)

HUGS!!!
"J"

Offline AltDeutsche

• Big Paws-a-holic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:43:53 pm »
Pineapple... lots and lots of fresh pineapple
Razzberry leaf tea.
Walking didn't work for me either
niether did getting busy with DH
mainly time is the key.

Good luck and Can't wait to see the new little miracle.
Danielle
Mace Sable Coated GSD 02/08
Rex Sable Coated GSD 02/08

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 03:27:40 pm »
has anyone ever used castor oil?  everyone told me that it works but i am not sure.

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 04:11:21 pm »
I haven't used caster oil, but if I recall correctly, isn't it a laxative?  If so, I would probably be careful with that.  :-\  I kind of doubt that you want to have diarrhea right now (wince).  My suggestion for whatever it's worth?  Unless you are having specific problems that make it important to deliver asap, you may just want to wait this out and rest as much as possible right now.  With my third son I was so uncomfortable for so long before his delivery that I was really worn out when it came time to labor.  We both still did fine, but I sure could have used some more energy during labor.  So my best suggestion is to put your feet up or take a nap (with or without hubby).   ;)  :)  Since you're 3 cm & having contractions 3-4 minutes apart (even off & on), I'm thinking that you'll have that baby in your arms soon anyway & it would be nice to have had some rest first.   ;)  We're crossing all fingers & paws for you here for a fast & easy labor.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 04:12:45 pm by GoldenPyrs »
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees

Nicole

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2008, 04:44:22 pm »
Don't use castor oil. It will just give you diarrhea.

Nipple stimulation is the best way to induce contractions. Do you have a breast pump? Use it. Or, just pinch em' and twist em'. Hubby will probably be more than happy to help.

But...you also may just want to give it time. (like Golden Pyrs said) You DEFINITELY don't want pitocin, its the first step on your way to a C-section.

Get your rest. Drink plenty of fluids and just enjoy the last few days of your pregnancy. Believe me. Ethan is 8 weeks old this week, and I am SO glad that I didn't rush labor. I worked on my last day (the day I had him) and I'm really glad that I just went home from work early and chilled out.

Offline amberdoggoneit

• Paw-meister
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 07:19:28 am »
Well last night I had contractions ALL night.  But the only thing is that they werent consistent.  They ranged from 2-3 minutes apart to 3-4 minutes apart so I figured at first they were Braxton Hicks. But they REALLY hurt!!  I mean enough to wake me up out of a dead sleep.  I would get up and walk my hallway with Bell. 
Should I call the doctor about them?  They kind of stopped at 6:30. I still am having them and they do really hurt but not consistent.  I just would hate to go back to the hospital and be sent home for false labor!! :-\ :-\

Offline GoldenPyrs

• Supreme Drooler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 12:16:12 pm »
Well last night I had contractions ALL night.  But the only thing is that they werent consistent.  They ranged from 2-3 minutes apart to 3-4 minutes apart so I figured at first they were Braxton Hicks. But they REALLY hurt!!  I mean enough to wake me up out of a dead sleep.  I would get up and walk my hallway with Bell. 
Should I call the doctor about them?  They kind of stopped at 6:30. I still am having them and they do really hurt but not consistent.  I just would hate to go back to the hospital and be sent home for false labor!! :-\ :-\

Ugh, that's what I had every darn night for 2 solid weeks before my youngest was born (that's why I was so tired) but that's just me.  I just had really strong & consistant B-H contractions with each pg from about 28 weeks on.  Such strong B-H are very tiring, but the upside is that they often make "real" labor move faster and my last two babies were born pretty quick.  Middle son came 2 hrs & 45 minutes after I woke up to my water breaking, youngest son was born 4 hrs after the dr broke my water to induce labor (no pit was needed, once my water was broken the contractions really took off).  This is why I said before that I have a hunch that you don't have to wait much longer.  It sounds like you are ready for the moment that those contractions decide to get really serious, then you'll be holding that little one quickly.   Oh & my dr suggested that I drink plenty of water.  Sounds funny but supposedly dehydration can cause muscle cramping (including the uterine muscles), so lots of water might help calm those darn contractions down a little and give you some rest.  Can't hurt anyway, right?   :-\  ;)
Marie

And my pups:
Daisy a 9 y/o Golden/Lab mix
Sammy a 6-7(?) y/o Great Pyrenees adopted 3/07
Cassie a 3 y/o Pyr/Mystery Snuggle Bunny mix adopted 2/07

My angel girls waiting at the Bridge:
Cara 1989-2001 Great Pyrenees
Sally ? - 1993 Dobie(rescued '92)
Halley 2002-2006 Great Pyrenees